Single turtle mining well quarry - for rushing mass mining in 1.52

turtle

1 reply to this topic

#1 Niseg

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

This is a mining turtle program that's inspired by psyestorm's program . I found his setup a tad complicated and harder to rush so I made a single turtle program that's much lower tech and that can be rushed in 1.52 early game.

http://pastebin.com/FFdpGFU6
pastebin get FFdpGFU6 well

using buildcraft pipes 1.52:

It has a weird parameter set and it's far from rubust but it can use either an ender chest or buildcraft pipes /energy conduits. The main advantage of this program is it does not need a whole lot of resources to start up with mass mining. In 1.47 packs like ultimate you have to use redstone energy conduits and an ender chest because turtles destroy buildcraft pipes. in 1.52 you can use gold transport pipes and gold conductive pipes like shown in the video

--->important note on new future buildcraft changes (not in 0.8) <---

The mining well have changed to use 60Mj/block instead of 25Mj/block but conductive pipes have also improved a lot.I think the change are effective from beta 0.7 but might also be in beta 0.6 (didn't test) .

implications :
Spoiler

required resources :
- some wood conductive pipes if you are using gold conductive pipes
- <row length> + <num rows> and some extra gold conductive pipes (gold and redstone) in 1.52 or redstone energy conduits in 1.47 (add 3 conductive for 3 mining well mode)
- about same amount of gold transport pipes or an ender chest in 1.47 (easy in ultimate)
- mining turtle(iron,redstone, 3 diamonds/red power gems for a pick)
- a mining well (preferably 1 extra to prevent derping)
- a power source of some kind (6-8Mj/t can be fine)
power requirements and performance :
about 6Mj/t per well(all depends on the delay in a test of 11x11 quarry it used 220000~ Mj that's about 28Mj per block (it's 25mj + more for loss in conductive pipe). this power is 1/5th of what a quarry would take the mining speed is about 3.6~ blocks per second (conservative 10 second wait) - half the speed of a quarry.

I recent tested the 3 well setup with 4 second delay and energy conduits and found out the 3 well setup made a 9x9 hole in about 9 minutes. That faster than a quarry which took 12 minutes to finish (and more than 3 times the energy). The approximated mining speed is about 8~ blocks per second.

how to use in 1.52

new gallery of a rush setup: http://imgur.com/a/rP6hi

check video the turtle need to face a gold conductive pipe and which comes from the top and the transport pipe (if used) need to be bellow. there must be at least one empty space after the conductive pipe in the direction the turtle is facing (it uses detect() to retract the energy pipes).. if you use a 3 well setup make sure nothing blocks it's way on the left.

parameters are <wait delay><row length> <num rows> [use transport pipes instead of ender chest]

If there is any 4th parameter it will use transport pipes if there isn't it uses an ender chest
in 1.47 load an ender chest instead of transport pipe in slot 2 and use redstone energy conduits instead of gold conductive pipes. the energy piping setup is the same.

special feature:
- if the turtle get to 1 transport pipe or 1 conductive pipes it will look for more in the entire inventory or handle the lack of it.
- if you load 3 (was 4 ) or more mining well the turtle will mine with 3 mining well at a time but it seem to require more delay. it seems to work fine in both enderchest and pipe mode.
- if you put a block in slot 4 the turtle will check if it's a charge station and use it
- at the start of a row if the turtle doesn't have 6*(row length) +(number of wells - one or three ) +3 it will either charge itself until it does or request more fuel (spin around and try to refuel all) .
-if there is no fuel the turtle and there is block on the 4th slot it will stop the program (feature/bug)
- the program now handle obstacles
-there is an engineering turtle assist program that currently move 2 tesseracts/redstone cubes you can find it here http://pastebin.com/gMtDP4T5
check video to see how to set it up but remember to set the pipe to output - in the video I forgot :
Spoiler
note - it can't handle obsticles and won't self charge - need about 2.25n fuel

picking a good delay
depending on how much energy you can push into the mining well you need to fine tune the delay. I usually use 10 seconds. with 3 TE steam engines I had to use around 13 for it to be stable. StrayMav tried his luck with 5.5 seconds but he used redstone energy cells.
tested delays:
-single well energy conduit: 5~
-triple well energy conduit :4 (I think 3.5 is about the minimum)
-triple well conductive pipe: 13 (there is a lag after it mines 24~ blocks) if you can push 70MJ/t . you can do it with 20mj/t with 20 second delay and it seem to work
-single well 10 is good - you can feed it with 8mj (4 steam engines) and it runs pretty well .

delay formula = max ( (2*wells*height/(power) - overhead),height/20)

overhead for 3 wells is about 16 and for 1 well it's low enough to ignore)

tips:
- energy conduits are much more reliable and faster then gold conductive pipes (not true in new version of buildcraft)
- using 3 wells (you currently need 4 but may change) conserve turtle fuel . it might also be faster I'll need to check.
- be thoughtful of the fuel - it needs about (row length)*6 *(num rows +4) at worst case ( 3 well) make sure you put more
- keep the chunk loaded because there is no recovery
- giving it parameters of 1 0 1 [1] will make it retract the pipes and start a new row when it's in front of the energy tube so you can get it to do some of the cleanup itself .
- using a redstone energy cell as a buffer is a good idea.
- be aware of which version of ftb and buildcraft you are using because of the changes and limits of the script.

plans for the future:

-----
- handling obstacles (currently it doesn't ) - critical for later stages
- handling chunk unload/crash/quit/server reset - aka turn the script into a state machine and add state detection
---

- energy setup moving/building/chunk loading engineering turtle (for endless mining )
- quad turtle mining
-control mining direction
-better parameters and maybe a ui
- use more than 3 wells

#2 Niseg

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

I have an early version which is session persistant - it would probobly survive a server crash because of the method I used.
http://pastebin.com/iXzNfsqx
pastebin get iXzNfsqx well

The session persistance I implemented is a dumby-mode similar to shape builder but it uses the turtle's initial fuel level in order to figure out when to go active. This only works on a single well mode . Because this is a very early version you should prefuel the turtle about rows*columns*6 and not use a charge station.

There are also 2 rare unrecoverable states which involves turns when the turtle starts a new row but because those states exists for about 2 seconds (probobly 1 ) out of about 9.5*row_length cycle the chances of the program crashing at those state for row length of 10 is about 2% and for row length of 20 is about 1%. So keeping the rows long is a good idea.

The program does take a few seconds to recover and I made a few optimizations to minimize that time.

this program also take 4 parameters always 0 for ender chest 1 for golden transport pipes. there are also 2 new options 2 and 3 which go to the left instead of the right (2 is like mode 0 goes left and 3 is like mode 1 goes left).

The program create and delete startup file so you should take that into account.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users