Creating A Bsod, Error Handling And Custom Errors

66 replies to this topic

#41 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

+ Added the tutorial by myself and remiX on 'How To Use ccSensors' to OP so that I can have all my tutorials in one place.

#42 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:19 AM

What on earth for? Tutorials should each have their own topics.

#43 superaxander

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

View PostLyqyd, on 18 April 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

What on earth for? Tutorials should each have their own topics.
Why shouldn't thay they be in the same topic?

EDIT: they instead of thay -_-

#44 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:28 AM

When they have their own topics, it is easier to find tutorials by title when browsing the section, it is easier to search for them (as the title can hold useful information ("xyz's tutorials" is a useless title), and when you leave a tutorial in the topic where it started, you don't throw away all of the existing conversation on it. Essentially, they're harder to find, and they're less useful when you do find them. Imagine if the entire tutorials section was just "xyz's tutorials", from top to bottom, for everyone that wrote a tutorial. A new user would just have to guess what might be in each one, and that's frustrating and silly. Centralizing things for the sake of a signature link is very backwards thinking.

I'm not going to merge the topics or even lock the other one. Merging them squishes the topics together and interlaces the posts by date, so the topic would be confusing, and locking it prevents him from moving the tutorial back (which I suggest).

#45 superaxander

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

View PostLyqyd, on 18 April 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

When they have their own topics, it is easier to find tutorials by title when browsing the section, it is easier to search for them (as the title can hold useful information ("xyz's tutorials" is a useless title), and when you leave a tutorial in the topic where it started, you don't throw away all of the existing conversation on it. Essentially, they're harder to find, and they're less useful when you do find them. Imagine if the entire tutorials section was just "xyz's tutorials", from top to bottom, for everyone that wrote a tutorial. A new user would just have to guess what might be in each one, and that's frustrating and silly. Centralizing things for the sake of a signature link is very backwards thinking.

I'm not going to merge the topics or even lock the other one. Merging them squishes the topics together and interlaces the posts by date, so the topic would be confusing, and locking it prevents him from moving the tutorial back (which I suggest).
Good point didn't think of that. I guess we'll have to wait what TOBIT says...

#46 Sariaz

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Very good tutorials. Btw do you know if they fixed the bugs with the proximity detector because in the version I used the proximity detecters were extremely buggy. Sometimes they could find there targets some times they couldn't, other times they found the target but gave inconsistent data, or most aggravatingly they would randomly fix when i hadn't even touched the code making it more confusing.

#47 Spongy141

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • Location'Merica

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:57 AM

Nice.

#48 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

reverted the OP back to just be a stand alone thread.

#49 Zoinky

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

Very nice tutorial! Good work :D

#50 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

I recommend using anchors for your list here. Helps to have a table of contents if you plan on expanding this. use
[anchor='<anchorName>']
to create an anchor, and link to that position in the page by using "topic_url/#<anchorName>". It definitely helps for long topics.

#51 Shnupbups

• Members
  • 596 posts
  • LocationThat place over there. Y'know. The one where I am.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Where's the topic for your other tutorial? I hadn't had time to read it.

#52 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostCranium, on 14 May 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

I recommend using anchors for your list here. Helps to have a table of contents if you plan on expanding this. use
[anchor='<anchorName>']
to create an anchor, and link to that position in the page by using "topic_url/#<anchorName>". It definitely helps for long topics.
Thanks, I always have intentions to do it, never get around to it...

View PostShnupbups100, on 14 May 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Where's the topic for your other tutorial? I hadn't had time to read it.
here they are: Binary and Computer Logics | How to Use ccSensors

#53 Zudo

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hi, for your BSoD, will it appear when a program crashes? I am making a custom shell

#54 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostZudoHackz, on 23 May 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Hi, for your BSoD, will it appear when a program crashes? I am making a custom shell
Well to put it in the context of my examples and your program, the BSoD would only show if the shell itself errors, not the programs that it runs. But the idea is still the same and can be applied to programs that the shell runs.

#55 Cain

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

Very useful, thank you. I will use this later.

#56 Zudo

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Using this!

#57 FNCPro

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

Time to update my OS with this :D
Thanks!

#58 hbomb79

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • LocationOrewa, New Zealand

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:10 AM

When you said the function can be outside of the main function, does that work for programs, lets say i use shell.run or something, but i run it from a function that was called by the main function so;

function runProg()
  shell.run"SomeProgram"
end
function main()
  runProg()
end

local ok, err = pcall(main)
if not ok then
  print(err)
end

Would it still catch an error that occurred in the "someProgram" program?

#59 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

View PostHbomb_79, on 26 July 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

Would it still catch an error that occurred in the "someProgram" program?
Unfortunately it won't due to how shell.run works. shell.run calls os.run which uses pcall internally. it will return false when the program has failed to run or errored while running, but it will also print said error.

#60 hbomb79

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • LocationOrewa, New Zealand

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

So the best way is to have the BSoD as an API and the catching statements in all scripts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users