Rednet API page out of date?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Using CCemu (which has CC 1.5, as opposed to my regular out of data 1.481) I noticed there was a redner.BROADCAST_CHANNEL, which was about 65534 (max 2-byte value), which lead me to check the wiki page to see if this was mentioned.
It was not.
I believe 1.5 has added a frequency system (I might be wrong, but I don't want to update yet to check), which also seems undocumented on the wiki.
Also of note, the rednet.send in the table on the rednet API page lists 2 arguments, but it's actual page lists 3.
Somewhere along the lines, there's definitely info that needs correcting. I'd do it myself, but as I haven't used 1.5 beyond CCemu and I'm not quite ready to update, it would be good if the documentation was a bit more clear on the current state of affairs.

#2 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

View PostPharap, on 06 March 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

Using CCemu (which has CC 1.5, as opposed to my regular out of data 1.481) I noticed there was a redner.BROADCAST_CHANNEL, which was about 65534 (max 2-byte value), which lead me to check the wiki page to see if this was mentioned.
It was not.
I believe 1.5 has added a frequency system (I might be wrong, but I don't want to update yet to check), which also seems undocumented on the wiki.
Also of note, the rednet.send in the table on the rednet API page lists 2 arguments, but it's actual page lists 3.
Somewhere along the lines, there's definitely info that needs correcting. I'd do it myself, but as I haven't used 1.5 beyond CCemu and I'm not quite ready to update, it would be good if the documentation was a bit more clear on the current state of affairs.
Frequencies were added in the 1.5 update, but if you want to edit the wiki, I suggest making a post to ask for permission in the wiki permissions page. Generic info about frequencies, you can open up to 128 frequencies at a time, and you can connect to up to 65534 different frequencies. To connect to a frequency, you wrap the modem as a peripheral.
modem = peripheral.wrap(<side>)
modem.open(<frequency>)
modem.send(<frequency>, <string>)
modem.close(<frequency>)
That's a basic example, but I hope it helps.

#3 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostCranium, on 07 March 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

Frequencies were added in the 1.5 update, but if you want to edit the wiki, I suggest making a post to ask for permission in the wiki permissions page. Generic info about frequencies, you can open up to 128 frequencies at a time, and you can connect to up to 65534 different frequencies. To connect to a frequency, you wrap the modem as a peripheral.
modem = peripheral.wrap(<side>)
modem.open(<frequency>)
modem.send(<frequency>, <string>)
modem.close(<frequency>)
That's a basic example, but I hope it helps.

That's the kind of information I would have liked to have found on the wiki lol

The main reason I posted here as opposed to editing it myself is that I have no experience with the frequency system so I would rather notify the community that it needs fixing than write potentially inaccurate information on the wiki, only for someone to come along behind me and fix it. Might as well cut out the middle man.

#4 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

I went ahead and revived the modem (API) page for this because I thought that the changes fit better there than on the rednet (API) page. It looks a bit rough due to the fact that I'm a noob when it comes to Wiki syntax, but it works. If somebody would like to fix it up a bit, please do.
Here's the link: Modem_(API)

I linked this from the Rednet_(API) page but did not remove the "Needs work" caption.

#5 AfterLifeLochie

Wiki Oracle

• Moderators
  • 480 posts
  • LocationAfterLifeLochie's "Dungeon", Australia

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

I've resolved this fully, as it seems there is enough information to pass for now. Stuff still needs to be ported to the new v2 templates, but that's not hard - mostly just HTML editing.

#6 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

The new page looks much more useful, now there shouldn't be any questions cropping up about how the frequency system works and the wiki is more or less up to date.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users