[Open Source] PearOS (Preview 2) - OS X Inspired OS

290 replies to this topic

#221 jesusthekiller

• Banned
  • 562 posts
  • LocationWrocław, Poland

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:23 AM

oeed, on 26 June 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

I've decided that to make this project open source. I've been rather busy lately and have lost interest. Essentially you may use the code as you wish. Create your own Windows style OS, create your own apps, whatever you want. You are also welcome to share your code. However, if you do share it you MUST credit Pear OS and either PM me your project or post here (simply because I want to see what you make with it).

Open source is cool, but it had to be open source (All code in CC forums has to be open source). Just change license to CC BY :)

#222 Mitchfizz05

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Wow. Amazing!

#223 Zudo

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hmm... I don't know whether I should use this or LyqydOS... Because I like the functionality in Lyqyd's but I love the design in PearOS

#224 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

ZudoHackz, on 21 July 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

Hmm... I don't know whether I should use this or LyqydOS... Because I like the functionality in Lyqyd's but I love the design in PearOS

The lovely thing about using PearOS means you don't have to worry about the design aspect. The functionality Lyqyd's has isn't that much greater than this.

#225 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

I would take some issue with that assertion, considering that you never did get around to implementing the use of native apps in PearOS. :P

The other major disadvantage of PearOS is that anything written for it isn't portable.

#226 MudkipTheEpic

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationWhere you'd least expect it.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

*places stake down*

In b4 flamewar! XD

Anyway, I like both OSes. They both have their pros and cons. This is more aesthetically pleasing, Lyqyd's is more powerful (In my opinion).

#227 nutcase84

• Members
  • 711 posts
  • LocationIn My Lonely Little Computer Corner

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

If I had to choose, I would choose the Pear, as it looks more user friendly. No offense, but i don't like Lyqyd's windows. B)

#228 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Which windows? :P

Old? New? Normal? Advanced? Menu windows? Which ones don't you like, and why? I'm curious.

#229 nutcase84

• Members
  • 711 posts
  • LocationIn My Lonely Little Computer Corner

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

OH. Just looked at it again, I thought it was still text based. :lol:

#230 Tyderf

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

How do I browse it in the monitor?

This OS is the best one I have ever seen

#231 MulticolouredMarshmellow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

This is amazing! Thankyou for making this! :D

+1 For you!

#232 Anon10W1z

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

This has a good design, the problem is that you can't run lua scripts. Jupiter OS seems to have a simple yet feature full solution.

#233 072608

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:28 PM

Could u help with Program Dev for this I love this Os and Like to make / use programs that run on lua for it,or could u add a Programming Language and Manual for programming in this Os Pls :)

#234 Tiin57

Java Lunatic

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:36 AM

What...

072608, on 09 August 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Could u help with Program Dev for this I love this Os and Like to make / use programs that run on lua for it,or could u add a Programming Language and Manual for programming in this Os Pls :)
Ok.
"Could you help with program dev for this?"
What. Who are you talking to, why are you asking...
"make/use programs that run on Lua for it"
All programs in Computercraft run on Lua. I've never seen anything that allows you to run programs written in any other language, aside from a couple of slight modifications to Lua.
"or could you add a programming language and manual for programming"
... Are you aware of how difficult it is to implement a proper programming language? In anything? Let alone a "manual" (assuming that you mean docs... I think.) Anyways, why? What's wrong with Lua?

Do you even know what you're talking about, or are you just spouting stuff that you've read on random programming-related Wikipedia pages?

By the way, oeed, if you ever get on anymore/read this topic, this is pretty good. Not sure if I've said it before, but this is an excellent example of ingenuity and design in Computercraft. Well done.

#235 072608

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

I mean this is programmed in lua I know that it's not in a another language it's programmed in a way where it won't run plain Lua Programs made in CraftOS I Feel Really Dumb Now :/

#236 072608

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Sorry for posting those last things what I really meant is I needed help with using the os apis. I also looked into the finder program added disk support for floppy disks hopefully I can add if disk isn't inserted
It won't show disk directory on finder

#237 MonstrousZorkl

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

What I love about the OS: Nice GUI and features. Might find myself using it.
What I dislike about it: PearOS already exists as a product and you'll find yourself in some trouble if you continue using the name. Even though the other PearOS is open-source as well, nobody wants name conflicts.

#238 072608

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

I added this to the finder code to add disk Support Idk how I could make finder update if the disk has been removed/added when the computer is on, if u know pls tell me how :)
Also I had the Idea if there is a Full release it could be like Mac os x with a Animal after Such as PearOS Squid

[color=#ff0000]function Main()
if fs.exists("/disk/") == true then
Disk()
end
if fs.exists("/disk/") == false then
NoDisk()
end
end[/color]

#239 DarkEspeon

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

oeed, if you could message me how you got your oop to work I would be very thankful. I looked through your code and couldn't find anything other then the files... again many thanks and cool os.

#240 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:49 AM

First of all, I'm still here.
I do check this page every week or so, but not nearly as much as I used to.

Basically, I got bored. As always seems to happen, I have a great idea, spend a few days or weeks working on it then get to a stage where nothing is really happening, and I get bored and stop. So, I hate to say it, but that's why I haven't been around. However, I am considering working on it again.
I've also been working on a full revamp of my schools website with the IT team so I've had little time too.

Anyway.
About two months ago (infact, probably a lot longer), I posted a tutorial on how this whole thing worked. Someone then pointed out that I've been doing Object Oriented stuff wrong, I didn't set the '_index' key. So basically, the 'OOP' is sorta not 'OOP', but this is the first thing I fix when/if I resume work.

I've received a few PMs over the last few months, mainly with a few questions, sorry to those people that I haven't got back to, I'll do that ASAP.

I'll try to answer the qustions/comments you guy have:

Tyderf, on 23 July 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

How do I browse it in the monitor?

This OS is the best one I have ever seen
What do you mean?

Thank you :)

gabrieljw1, on 28 July 2013 - 12:24 AM, said:

This is amazing! Thankyou for making this! :D

+1 For you!

Anon10W1z, on 31 July 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

This has a good design, the problem is that you can't run lua scripts. Jupiter OS seems to have a simple yet feature full solution.
Yes, Lua was one of the things I wanted to add.

072608, on 09 August 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Sure, if you have any specific questions just PM me.

MonstrousZorkl, on 11 August 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

What I love about the OS: Nice GUI and features. Might find myself using it.
What I dislike about it: PearOS already exists as a product and you'll find yourself in some trouble if you continue using the name. Even though the other PearOS is open-source as well, nobody wants name conflicts.
Yea, the name was more of a code name than an official name, but I couldn't think of another one.

072608, on 11 August 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

I added this to the finder code to add disk Support Idk how I could make finder update if the disk has been removed/added when the computer is on, if u know pls tell me how :)
Also I had the Idea if there is a Full release it could be like Mac os x with a Animal after Such as PearOS Squid

[color=#ff0000]function Main()
if fs.exists("/disk/") == true then
Disk()
end
if fs.exists("/disk/") == false then
NoDisk()
end
end[/color]

Hmmmm, I'll have to think about it. I do like that idea, I have to say.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users