Riddles

337 replies to this topic

#141 Dlcruz129

What's a Lua?

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Smiley43210, on 12 April 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

There are two villages, only accessible by one road. The people from one village will always tell the truth, and the people from the other will always lie. In the road, there's a fork, and at that fork stands a villager from one of the villages. You do not know which village he is from. How can you tell which village is which? You may only ask the villager at the fork one question.
Enough with these lie/truth riddles! :P

#142 Smiley43210

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Dlcruz129, on 12 April 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

There are two villages, only accessible by one road. The people from one village will always tell the truth, and the people from the other will always lie. In the road, there's a fork, and at that fork stands a villager from one of the villages. You do not know which village he is from. How can you tell which village is which? You may only ask the villager at the fork one question.
Enough with these lie/truth riddles! :P
:(
This one is actually quite simple though :P

#143 Espen

Curious Explorer

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

"If you were from the opposite village, what would you then say if I'd ask you if the village to your right is the truth-village?"

If his answer is "yes", then the right one is the truth-village.
If his answer is "no", then the no one is the truth-village.

#144 Smiley43210

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Espen, on 12 April 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

"If you were from the opposite village, what would you then say if I'd ask you if the village to your right is the truth-village?"

If his answer is "yes", then the right one is the truth-village.
If his answer is "no", then the no one is the truth-village.
Not quite the answer I'm looking for. Besides, what if he isn't from the opposite village? He can't really say no, because you never asked him if he IS from the lying village. :P

#145 Espen

Curious Explorer

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

No, I mean I ask him to imagine he was from the other village and thus imagine what he would say then.
If he IS from village A, then he should imagine what he would say if he WERE from village B.

Example:
Let's say the village on the right would be the liar village and I ask the question from my earlier post.

Let's say he's from the truth village.
Now he imagines that he'd be from the liar village and realizes that, as a liar, he'd answer my question with "yes".
And because he is a truth-teller, he will indeed tell the truth and say "yes" (in the sense of: If I'd be from the liar village I'd lie to you and say "yes")

Let's say he's from the liar village.
Now he imagines that he'd be from the truth village and realizes that, as a truth-teller, he'd say "no".
But because he is a liar, he will lie and say "yes" (in the sense of: If I'd be from the other village I'd say the truth, which would be "no", BUT I'll lie to you now and say the opposite: "yes").

So in both cases the answer will be the same and thus allows me to distinguish the villages.
Yes to my question means: The one the right is the liar village.
No to my question means: The one the right is the truth village.

So it might not be the exact answer you were looking for, but it works nonetheless.^^

Maybe instead of "imagine you'd be from the other village" I guess I could've asked "What's the opposite of what you'd tell me?", but the end result is the same really:
Thuth-teller thinks: "I would've told him YES (as a truth), the opposite would be NO. And since I tell the truth I say NO."
Liar thinks: "I would've told him NO (as a lie), the opposite would be YES. But since I'm a liar, I'll still say NO."

#146 Smiley43210

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Espen, on 12 April 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

-snip-
Yea, it works.

But ima post the answer in a spoiler just to show you how simple it was.

Spoiler

#147 Espen

Curious Explorer

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

Well it's only simple if you know the answer. If you have to work it out, then you might have some unnecessary "fluff" around the answer.
Kind of like starting to program something and then going through the code to cut down on redundancy to achieve the same thing with as little code as possible.
Anyway, thx for revealing the expected answer. :)

#148 danny_delmax1

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

pizzapants, on 02 April 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

A woman takes three organisms with her to the beach in her car. All of them are animals. The woman only noticed two of the three organisms during the trip. The woman unbuckles two of the organisms and they leave the car to have fun on the beach. Meanwhile, the third organism stays in the car. Minutes later, the third organism dies. The woman drives home with many more organisms than she came with.
What were the three original organisms?

My answer:
Spoiler

#149 Guest_pizzapants_*

• Guests

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

danny_delmax1, on 12 April 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

A woman takes three organisms with her to the beach in her car. All of them are animals. The woman only noticed two of the three organisms during the trip. The woman unbuckles two of the organisms and they leave the car to have fun on the beach. Meanwhile, the third organism stays in the car. Minutes later, the third organism dies. The woman drives home with many more organisms than she came with.

My answer:
Spoiler
Your answer is correct!

#150 ikke009

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationSliding between sunbeams

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

pizzapants, on 14 April 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

danny_delmax1, on 12 April 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

My answer:
Spoiler
Your answer is correct!
You do realise that spider eggs take anywhere between a few days and a few months to hatch right? so this riddle would never work out realisticly

#151 yaaay

• Banned
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

Riddle

What is Powerful and is by apple and It features a unique key map

#152 Sariaz

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

nvm the riddle was already answered. Next time you tell the riddle about the gnomes you might want to explain that the gnomes have to end up in groups but don't have to immediately pick one.

Better now that I'm awake Dlcruz129?

Edited by Sariaz, 18 April 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#153 Dlcruz129

What's a Lua?

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:50 AM

Sariaz, on 17 April 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

nvm already answered and next time you might want to explain that they can be in middle because i though as soon as you came out you had to join a group and didn't realize you could be in middle.

http://www.englishma...Punctuation.htm

#154 ikke009

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

yaaay, on 17 April 2013 - 03:02 AM, said:

Riddle

What..?

#155 SadKingBilly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Riddle

Nothing.

#156 yaaay

• Banned
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

ikke009, on 18 April 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

Riddle

What..?
True.Nothing

#157 Sariaz

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

Three people are buried in the sand. The first one is looking at the second, the second is looking at the third, and the third is facing away from the others. There are three hats two are black and one is white. The first man has a black hat the second has a white hat the third has a black hat. How does the second man figure out he has the white hat?

#158 ikke009

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

I think you forgot some information here.. If not, he asks the first man what color his hat is.

#159 Sariaz

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

ikke009, on 18 April 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

I think you forgot some information here.. If not, he asks the first man what color his hat is.

ikke009, on 18 April 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

Ya forgot to mention that if they don't have white hat and they talk they all die :P.

#160 ikke009

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

The second man waits for the first to stand up doesnt he? and if the first man doesnt claim he has the white hat that would mean the second man has it.. Or something like that

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users