Jupiter - A Customizable OS [1.11]

54 replies to this topic

#21 Negeator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationThe Shivering Isles

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Now updated to 1.11. You can check the changelog in the original post.

View Postgamax92, on 24 March 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

I will thank you for not putting a startup screen. Many people who put this in their "operating system" just do it for the fun.
Yeah, my personal preference is not to have a startup screen. That being said, some people (such as the post above yours) seem to enjoy having one or having the ability to log in as different users. If I ever added one it'd be completely optional (probably disabled by default) so that the user can choose which they prefer.

Pressing Ctrl-T at the main screen says Terminated and some lines on screen get scrolled, but then the clock keeps going.
Just noticed that... this issue should be caused by the new widget update (1.1). What happens is you are terminating the clock widget, so it displays the "Terminated" text. Since I only update/redraw certain parts of the screen at certain times, only the clock will redraw since that's the only thing changing. To counter this now, I make sure that all widgets cannot be terminated by adding "os.pullEvent=os.pullEventRaw" to the first line of a widget's code before running it. You can now get this change by updating (now at version 1.11). I'm a bit worried of some other bugs added by the 1.1 update because new things are running in parallel with Jupiter, so we'll see if any other issues come up.

One thing to note is that "widgets" are not supposed to print to the terminal, otherwise it'll interfere with Jupiter's drawing and make things look weird. The intention of a widget is to run in the background and display stuff on monitors or provide functionality other than drawing to the screen. You can set a program that writes to the terminal as a widget, but I'd advise against that because it will obviously cause issues.

It also doesn't protect its files. Anyone with this could just run the lua prompt, use shell.run("/rom/programs/shell") and delete startup.
Not all things are idiot-proof, and I'm sure there are other ways to break stuff. However, if the user wants to exit Jupiter and delete important files, I don't see that as my problem. I'd prefer to have too little security than to limit too much what can be done, and I feel that security outside of the Jupiter interface is not my concern. That being said, I do provide some protection through my file browser, where you should be prevented from deleting anything within the 'jupiterOS' folder or 'rom' folder. Because the file browser is part of my interface and is designed to be user-friendly, I obviously want some security there, so it is implemented in these kinds of places. I'm sure I missed some holes and safety protection in some areas, so it's probably not perfect yet.

The clock will read 12AM as 0AM
I've seen that, I should probably get to fixing that soon.

The screen tends to flicker quite a lot when updating, do you not only update screen changes?
Oh, I definitely agree. I need to make more optimizations and perhaps add some sort of screen buffer. Some things that require redrawing most of the screen at a relatively fast pace (such as scrolling) can be difficult to do without some degree of flickering, so we'll see what I can do about that. Screen changes should be the only time things are updated, but it's not all perfect yet, and there may be bugs that cause issues with this.

When there is no disk drive, the DJ will flash a message about No music disk, but will disseaper instantly.
Currently Jupiter automatically refreshes after a program ends, so programs that return instantly currently aren't the emphasis on what should be ran on the home screen. If you try running a program in the file browser, you'll notice I pause and wait for keyboard input to refresh the screen ("press any key to continue"), which is very convenient for reading error messages and running programs that instantly return. What I could do is have an option to wait for keyboard input before redrawing (like with file browser) for each homescreen shortcut (a true/false similar to the 'arguments' option for homescreen apps), so that programs like DJ could wait for a key to be pressed before returning to the home screen.

Also, I see the task bar at the bottom, but running a program doesn't make the task bar stay, instead the program takes over the screen.
I've never thought of it as a 'task' bar before, even though it looks a lot like Windows' task bar. That's mainly meant to be a menu bar for the home screen, and currently drawing that over a program would be difficult to do. Good suggestion, though, so I may look into it in the future. I probably want to redo how programs are drawn/run for screen buffer and multitasking functionality anyways (probably not right now, but eventually), so perhaps that may be an option in the future.

This really just seems like a Graphical shell at the moment, but this is some nice progress and work.

It is just a graphical shell. I thought OS sounded more appealing and everyone else seems to call their graphical shells an "OS", so that's what I did as well.

View PostNonstopGamer, on 24 March 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Wow, this is possibly the best OS I've seen.

Suggestion: in the post, put spaces in between the pictures so it is easier to tell apart.

Thanks! There should be some spaces between the pictures now, hope that helps.

#22 ETHANATOR360

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationyour hardrive

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

I'm starting an os review association http://www.computerc...507#entry101507 and I would like to review this
Edit:this is a great os i reviewed with my grade scale and this is how it comes out

security:14 out of 20 points no encryption,or private files but good password system
functionality: 18 out 20 points great GUIs and peripheral support
developer perks: 8 out of 20 no real perks for devs like apis or editors although support for alternative editors is nice
originality: 8 out of 10 no real original os things but the file browser adds a good touch
looks: 10 out 10 great looking GUIs with custom color
x-factor: 17 out of 20 i have never seen a os interface with connected peripherals like this before

#23 FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L)

• Banned
  • 435 posts
  • LocationThe left part of this post

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

If you add windows(with ability to be full screen) it will be the best os(look at a api called redirect from gopher)

#24 SuicidalSTDz

Permutator of Strings

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

View Posturielsalis, on 25 March 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

If you add windows(with ability to be full screen) it will be the best os(look at a api called redirect from gopher)
I probably wouldn't use it if it were window oriented. This OS's layout is fine as is.

#25 cotec

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:46 AM

I think this is the best CC-OS, keep it up! I use it on a ftb-server, very nice !

#26 QuantumGrav

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

I really enjoy using this OS. Does everything I want it to do cleanly, efficiently, and in a way that makes sense. I'm definitely going to follow any further development of this program. Really great work Negeator! Great signature also, by the way!

#27 GeniusName3

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

amazing

#28 mcgodinater

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

This looks...COOL!!! In fact, because this doesn't have a text editor like TACO, u should include TACO packaged in.

#29 nutcase84

• Members
  • 711 posts
  • LocationIn My Lonely Little Computer Corner

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Eww... the GUI looks gross. It's so non-simple looking.

#30 dmitchell94

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Great OS sad that apps that provide output cant be added due to the output not being shown. would love to use this os with my ftp server system i have going

#31 nothjarnan

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

Suggestion: Add compability with more resolutions, for the ones who likes to play around with emulators on big monitors!

#32 Zudo

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

Wow... Dat GUI.. Wow

#33 Parmacoy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:52 AM

Wow, this is just amazing looking, looks ALMOST like an early version of windows, i would totally use this if i had a need to. keep it up!

#34 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVan Diemen's Land

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:37 AM

This is great.

#35 Xerxeth

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Compared to some of the other OS'es I've been browsing, I'm liking this one a lot!

#36 PinYin

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:35 AM

looks nice!i install them after working and i think i can add a Ru lang!P.S. It you file manager?

#37 Anon10W1z

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

This is a nice looking OS! Great features and design! Plus I love the ability to add my own "Apps"

#38 TheGamerOfAction

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIn a mysterious world of 1s and 0s

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:55 AM

There is only one thing I can say about this:
It looks awsome for the start of an OS, can't wait to see what the future will bring!
Mabye a windowing system of some sort?

#39 Anon10W1z

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

IMHO a windowing system is not the best way to update this OS as it is already fine just the way it is. Simplicity is irreplaceable.

#40 Anon10W1z

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

View Postnutcase84, on 13 April 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

Eww... the GUI looks gross. It's so non-simple looking.
Try making a better OS. How are 6 Windows 8 style icons not simple?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users