NET - Send and receive files remotely! API!

networking wireless api

22 replies to this topic

#1 KleptoKat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Ever feel the need to send files to your partner computer but aren't enjoying the hassle of copying files to disks and getting off your programmers butt to move it? Well make haste, out-of-date disk drives, as a bran new FTP has arrived! This version of NET includes file transfer, wireless commands, string support, as well as a shiny new API!

If you manage to spot any bugs, mistakes, or unreticulated splines, please feel free to criticize me on them, I'm all about criticism.

This image showcases the net program, which uses the network API.
Posted Image

FAQ
Spoiler
DOWNLOAD
Spoiler
PROGRAM USAGE
Spoiler
API
Spoiler
UPDATE LOG:
Spoiler
TODO
Spoiler
</file>

#2 Mads

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

How is this a replacement for Rednet, if you can only send/receive files. Not really useful for multiplayer games, chats, or whatever. But nice work.

#3 KleptoKat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Thanks, and I plan on implementing string support as well, added to the to-do list.

#4 masterdisasterHD

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

tip for modem detection:

for i,v in pairs(rs.getSides()) do
 if peripheral.isPresent(v) and peripheral.getType(v)=="modem" then
  modemSide = v
 end
end

#5 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

I was going to state what masterdisasterHD has, but I don't think it would be very flexible if you found the modem automatically. You should probably either ask the user to input a modem side when running the program without one defined, or make the user define a modem side.

Or just make autodetection a default and the modem side switch an option/configuration, since most normal people don't need to specify which modem they want to use.

#6 KleptoKat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostKingdaro, on 31 March 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

I was going to state what masterdisasterHD has, but I don't think it would be very flexible if you found the modem automatically. You should probably either ask the user to input a modem side when running the program without one defined, or make the user define a modem side.

Or just make autodetection a default and the modem side switch an option/configuration, since most normal people don't need to specify which modem they want to use.
Flexibility is my goal when programming, I hate confined programs that only do what you want them to. I'd probably go with this, with an option to temporarily define which modem you would like to use, or store it in the file.

By the way, congrats on your thousandth post.

#7 Mailmanq!

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationI am omnipresent... DUH

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

Looks great!

Edit: 100th Post!

#8 superaxander

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

This is pretty cool

#9 alakazard12

• Banned
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I made something like this back is 1.2.5, but yours is better since you actually spent time on it.

#10 KleptoKat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Thank you all! Expect a new version soon! (With an api standalone.)

#11 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

very nice. i like it. :) now if you could inject it as a coroutine above the shell so that it ran in the background and prompted you when one is received, that would be awesome! :D

#12 wilcomega

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

its nice, but the wierd thing is that at closing and receiving you call them ports but at opening you call them channel...
but its a very nice program

#13 KleptoKat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

View Postwilcomega, on 02 April 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

its nice, but the wierd thing is that at closing and receiving you call them ports but at opening you call them channel...
but its a very nice program
yeah, haha, I was debating as I was writing the program whether or not I would call them channels or ports, but I ended up calling them both by accident, fixed in next release.

#14 KleptoKat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

New release up! Put a couple hours of work in for procrastination sake.

#15 superaxander

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

Ooh a api...AWESOME

#16 Left

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

Good but its like you have copied the net command from batch and then written it

#17 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

View PostLinearus, on 03 April 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

Good but its like you have copied the net command from batch and then written it
and the problem with that is? some of the best inspiration and ideas can come from existing products... look at Angry Birds, thats just Crush the Castle, yet they have made millions from it... look at Windows' origins, thats just a copy of many things! Yet look at them...

#18 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 03 April 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

View PostLinearus, on 03 April 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

and the problem with that is? some of the best inspiration and ideas can come from existing products... look at Angry Birds, thats just Crush the Castle, yet they have made millions from it... look at Windows' origins, thats just a copy of many things! Yet look at them...

Yeah but you had better be pretty brilliant at marketing to be able to sell your copy to a wide userbase.

Ontopic, I was thinking about implementing something like this program into the shell so that it could run in the background. Have the whole thing behave a bit like google drive where all your files are accessable from any rednet enabled computer/turtle without any delay.

#19 KleptoKat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostBubba, on 03 April 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

<snip>
Ontopic, I was thinking about implementing something like this program into the shell so that it could run in the background. Have the whole thing behave a bit like google drive where all your files are accessable from any rednet enabled computer/turtle without any delay.
Thanks, feel free to use/modify my api for whatever suits your needs. I'm currently developer something quite similar, actually. Just less syncing.

#20 ETHANATOR360

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationyour hardrive

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

are you serious!?! as soon as i get done coding a rednet file share program this one comes out. oh well :angry: :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users