Redstone Extenders

14 replies to this topic

#1 Pinkishu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

Hi

so i'd like a peripheral thats a bit like the I/O extenders from RP2
basically it has the functions to read and activate normal and bundled redstone (maybe with the redstone events too?)

Yeah I know what you're going to say: "BUT A PC CAN DO SO?!?!"
Yeah, sure, but think about it, a PC in the end requires a new coroutine, and eats resources more than a simple peripheral likely would.

So something like:
PC----------------------------------------  <- wired lan cable
     |                 |                 |
   Peripheral      Peripheral       Peripheral

is better than

PC----------------------------------------  <- wired lan cable
    PC                 PC                PC

#2 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

this has been suggested beas a 'bundled cable switch' but i like the idea of normal redstone too... :)

#3 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

Yeah, been suggested before, but had a weird ass name and didn't make sense. I also had this idea myself - great minds think alike eh Pinkishu :P I like this idea a lot :) I'll speak to dan.

#4 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:42 AM

Cleaned up a lot of crap in this thread. Keep it on topic.

#5 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

I'd like to hear what kind of response you get fron Dan. This seems like a pretty neat thing to implement.

#6 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

i love this idea, not sure how it would look though
it cant be flat like redpower's io expanders because lan cables can only connect on solid sides

#7 ElvishJerricco

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

I don't get it. In every other suggestion that can already be done with just computers, Cloudy or Dan comes along and uses that as the reason not to implement it. What's different about this?

#8 MysticT

Lua Wizard

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostElvishJerricco, on 04 April 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

I don't get it. In every other suggestion that can already be done with just computers, Cloudy or Dan comes along and uses that as the reason not to implement it. What's different about this?
That they like this one :P
Although this is possible with a computer, it would require said computer to be running all the time, wasting resources.
Now, I don't know which suggestions you are talking about, but there's probably other reasons to refuse them.

#9 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

If it makes you feel better, I can deny this one too out of spite.

#10 ElvishJerricco

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostCloudy, on 04 April 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

What I'm saying is that it's worth considering that this can be done with computers already. I'm not sure if it's necessary to add a block for such a simple task that can already be done with computers. Plus the computers can do a better job of it because you can have the main computer send simple messages, and the bundled cable computer do actual logic.

#11 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

I know it is worth considering that it can be done with computers already. I am full aware of that fact. I would never take up a block ID for this purpose. I'd only do it if we have the meta available in the peripheral block.

#12 Pinkishu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostElvishJerricco, on 04 April 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

View PostCloudy, on 04 April 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

What I'm saying is that it's worth considering that this can be done with computers already. I'm not sure if it's necessary to add a block for such a simple task that can already be done with computers. Plus the computers can do a better job of it because you can have the main computer send simple messages, and the bundled cable computer do actual logic.

Plus the computers add tons of uncessary overhead aka lag~

#13 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

You are overstating the computational expense of a properly written lua program, or are using a server with terrible hardware.

#14 Pinkishu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 04 April 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

You are overstating the computational expense of a properly written lua program, or are using a server with terrible hardware.

Just going by experience, heard too many people crying about lag due to 200+ computers around that are active

#15 TheArchitect

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

You probably get more lag from riding minecarts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users