Allow turtles to paint maps

13 replies to this topic

#1 Aptik

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:56 AM

For now map fills only in player hands.

But I think it will be cool if turtles will have an ability to update maps too.
In this case our turtle will be a kind of explorer. Also it will be cool if on all copies of the map which is in turtle inventory we will see arrow (same like we see another players with the same copy of the map).

#2 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:00 AM

Firstly, a bit OP.

Secondly, I kinda like the fact of seeing where the turtle is to go hunt it down, I've lost many a turtle from some bad coding that has sent it off into the horizon. but I still think defs op. or if you prefer "breaking the wall".

#3 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:29 AM

Not a bad idea. The problem is that maps are very player centric, and it wouldn't be possible to replicate without a lot of work.

#4 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

isn't there a Turtle Player? For interactions that require a player...

#5 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 04 April 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

isn't there a Turtle Player? For interactions that require a player...

Yes, but I don't like the idea of using it all the time. We'll see.

#6 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:10 AM

fair enough. I'm assuming its CPU or memory intensive? or is it just a hack that you don't like using 'cause its a hack?

#7 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:31 AM

This idea doesn't entirely make sense to me--the idea behind maps generally seems to be that the player is "drawing" the map from what they see as they go. Obviously, this illusion is broken when you update the surface map as you walk through a cave, but with turtles being intentionally very blind, it doesn't make sense to me that they would be able to update maps.

#8 ds84182

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

Very true, Lyqyd, but who said that CC had to be realistic? Though it is nice to have realism, breaking those bounds once and a while makes the mod fun. Imagine if computers ran on fuel...

#9 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

Who said anything about "realism"? I'm talking about internal consistency.

#10 CupricWolf

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

I agree with Lyqyd, it doesn't flow with the whole "turtles are blind" argument that I've seen shutdown many other suggestion threads.

#11 SadKingBilly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

I mean, you've got to draw the line somewhere. Can turtles "see" or can't they? They can detect the presence of a block without actually moving. They can compare a block in the world with a block in their inventory. They can collect items from an inventory without physically moving to do so. So can they "see"? Maybe not. But you can't argue that they have no mechanism by which to observe the world around themselves. At the least, we know that they can observe the world in a one-block radius around themselves. If you don't change the current capabilities of turtles but do add the ability to fill in maps and you want to maintain "internal consistency", then their ability to fill in a map would have to be limited to a one-block radius around their position.

But, then again, it's just a map. It's hard to consider filling in a map OP.

#12 Left4Cake

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 04 April 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

fair enough. I'm assuming its CPU or memory intensive? or is it just a hack that you don't like using 'cause its a hack?

I could see their being some sort of config option for how frequently (or at all) a turtle would update the map. (given I have no idea how Modding for minecraft works.)

View PostLyqyd, on 12 April 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

Who said anything about "realism"? I'm talking about internal consistency.

In Minecraft you clearly don't need to see to make a map. Since you can make a surface level map from in a cave.

#13 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Not sure why you guys think this would be OP. It's a map. A map that cannot be read or interacted with by a turtle. And my interpretation is that the map would be updated as the turtle moves. Just like a player would have to. So it's automating something that a player would usually have to do. Big whoop. That's what the purpose of turtles are. Automation. Industrialism. Why should we have to walk around in order to update the map when we can write a program to do it instead? Sounds like fun to me.

Not to mention, the majority of people have a minimap anyway.

#14 Aptik

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostBubba, on 17 April 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

Not sure why you guys think this would be OP. It's a map. A map that cannot be read or interacted with by a turtle. And my interpretation is that the map would be updated as the turtle moves. Just like a player would have to. So it's automating something that a player would usually have to do. Big whoop. That's what the purpose of turtles are. Automation. Industrialism. Why should we have to walk around in order to update the map when we can write a program to do it instead? Sounds like fun to me.
Agree with Bubba.

View PostBubba, on 17 April 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

Not to mention, the majority of people have a minimap anyway.
To fully immerse myself in the atmosphere of Minecraft I not install additional plug-ins such as minimaps or builders. But painting maps turtles will keep me inside minecraft world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users