Jump to content




[1.3+][OS] WolfOS 1.3.3



214 replies to this topic

#201 DiamondOwner

  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationWhere am I? My Minecraft GPS tells me I'm in Minecraft.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

toxicwolf, I like your WolfOS. I'm going to review the code in 10 minutes. About the disc drive required to load a user account, on my server there is the issue of removing the disk, then forcing complete control of the computer, that is also a rednet server control computer. Can you make the user account(s) save on the computer? A reply is appreciated.

EDIT: I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but whenever I press the arrow keys ~2-3/second, the arrow is pointing at my desired program and loads a different one instead. Another improvement would be to be able to store multiple accounts on one disk. I'm not good at all at Lua coding, but I seriously think you can add the above (I'm not sure if you planned on implementing these changes, if so disregard this.). Why did you name the file "easter_egg.txt"? Did you write all this code or did King Tamotsu help you write it? If you read to here :D .

#202 toxicwolf

  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

The problems mentioned are known, however the version is unsupported. I have WolfOS 2.0 in the pipeline, however with my interest focused elsewhere, I am debating whether to continue or whether to just release the source code.

And no, King Tamotsu didn't help to write any code, he just helped with UI design and menu layouts in version 1.3.x only.

#203 loki2001

  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

WolfOS sounds good, I'll have to give it a try once I'm home from work. I'm using a mix of the default craftos and lyqydos with my custom "bootloader", as I need an OS with "multitasking" for my relay network lol. Plus its helped me learn lua rather quick (perl, jscript, visual basic, html bagckground).
Is 1.3 the only available version to try?

#204 DiamondOwner

  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationWhere am I? My Minecraft GPS tells me I'm in Minecraft.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

It would be nice to be able to remove the directory "WOLF" without having to have access to the save files.

EDIT: toxicwolf, I looked through most of your code, I know the version is unsupported, but have a few questions. How did you make the line under (startup/main/programs/utility and etc.) menu? When copying the files (when downloading WolfOS), does is it actually show the name of the file currently being copied or is it for decoration? When I attempt to uninstall WolfOS, it shows the error "controlPanel:351: Access denied". I believe this error is the result of an attempt to remove the directory "WOLF" :unsure:. What's with the unique ID# thing :huh:? If I break my computer, put a new one down, and install WolfOS, I end up with a problem. When I insert my old admin disk into the primary disk drive and login, I'm no longer an admin, but only a user. This system is very buggy for me, because whenever I recieve an error message and reinstall WolfOS, it usually produces a different error.

#205 toxicwolf

  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostDiamondOwner, on 04 February 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

I know the version is unsupported, but have a few questions.
I will try to answer as many as I can, but I have not been anywhere near WolfOS 1.3.3 for a long time, so I cannot remember all of the intricate details.

View PostDiamondOwner, on 04 February 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

When copying the files (when downloading WolfOS), does is it actually show the name of the file currently being copied or is it for decoration?
No, this does actually display the current file that is being downloaded/copied.

View PostDiamondOwner, on 04 February 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

When I attempt to uninstall WolfOS, it shows the error "controlPanel:351: Access denied". I believe this error is the result of an attempt to remove the directory "WOLF" :unsure:.
You are correct sir. For some reason I get this error when trying to delete the directory, however in normal ComputerCraft use, I cannot reproduce this error. Strange things....

View PostDiamondOwner, on 04 February 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

When I insert my old admin disk into the primary disk drive and login, I'm no longer an admin, but only a user.
By "old", I am assuming here that you mean a disk created in a prior WolfOS version. If that is the case, at some point I changed the format that data is stored on user disks, and added some conversion code. I'm not sure exactly, but it may be possible that this didn't work correctly. However there are probably many other causes.

View PostDiamondOwner, on 04 February 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

This system is very buggy for me, because whenever I recieve an error message and reinstall WolfOS, it usually produces a different error.
I am sorry for your bad experience with WolfOS, and my lack of support. I only hope that you are willing to wait for a bit longer for the next release, where the code base is much more substantial and stable, since I have far more experience now that I did at the time of writing the current version.


In other news, I have just added language localisation to WolfOS 2.0.0! I am quite excited to see a multi-lingual WolfOS :)

<EDIT>
I also just finished up my helper code for parallel processing, which is based off of the CC 'parallel' API but is more flexible. So yes, this does mean that multitasking will be possible in WolfOS 2.0.0! :D
</EDIT>

Again, I apologize for the huge amount of time that has passed without a release, but I am working hard on it when I can!

Edited by toxicwolf, 14 March 2013 - 07:33 AM.


#206 toxicwolf

  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Anyone remember me mentioning Silverfish? No? Well I just wrote it ;) It's my custom bootloader. Other achievements since last time: Used the localisation code as a model for loading themes for the WolfOS UI. Multiple themes will be possible, intending to have a 'download center' for them. Also many bug fixes. Pretty much finished networking (implemented relays at last!) works a charm. Added loading of server modules (still need to write the modules themselves though).

The short-term roadmap now looks like this: (Will strike through as I complete these)
- Write Silverfish Bootloader
- Write install/update scripts
- Write Server modules
- Finish replacing temporary routing code for relays
- Start work on UI stuff framework
- Add programs/main OS pages
- Any other misc. changes/additions
- Testing and bugfixing!!!!

Edited by toxicwolf, 15 May 2013 - 02:56 PM.


#207 Zingo

  • New Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

I can't install it.
When i reboot the computer boot to the old craft os
Why?
:P

#208 pdog1111

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

BUG REPORT: i don't know where im allowed to put this so sorry if this is in the wrong place. when i use music player and leave it it changesmy user account name to what the disk i played.

#209 toxicwolf

  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

View PostZingo, on 24 June 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

I can't install it.
When i reboot the computer boot to the old craft os
Why?
:P

View Postpdog1111, on 29 June 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

BUG REPORT: i don't know where im allowed to put this so sorry if this is in the wrong place. when i use music player and leave it it changesmy user account name to what the disk i played.
Thank you both for your reports, however as I've said before, I'm sorry to say that the current version of WolfOS is now unsupported. This is because I have not even looked at the code in about 6 months; because I have been hard at work on the WolfOS 2.0.0 reboot.

This is nearing completion now, so I can only ask that you hang on a little longer while I get 2.0.0 out to all you guys.

Apologies on my part, and thanks for your patience.

#210 pdog1111

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

View Posttoxicwolf, on 29 June 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

View PostZingo, on 24 June 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

I can't install it.
When i reboot the computer boot to the old craft os
Why?
:P

View Postpdog1111, on 29 June 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

BUG REPORT: i don't know where im allowed to put this so sorry if this is in the wrong place. when i use music player and leave it it changesmy user account name to what the disk i played.
Thank you both for your reports, however as I've said before, I'm sorry to say that the current version of WolfOS is now unsupported. This is because I have not even looked at the code in about 6 months; because I have been hard at work on the WolfOS 2.0.0 reboot.

This is nearing completion now, so I can only ask that you hang on a little longer while I get 2.0.0 out to all you guys.
Apologies on my part, and thanks for your patience.
ok thanks. this is my first non-craftOS and I like it. could you add a program/feature in it for "easy text to monitor output". Like where you would type in some text and set a size and it would show up on a monitor. Thanks

#211 makerimages

  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

How long do you estimate until 2.0 release?

#212 toxicwolf

  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

View Postmakerimages, on 22 August 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

How long do you estimate until 2.0 release?
Eh... When it's ready? Honestly haven't worked on it for a while - considering putting this project to bed properly rather than pretending to myself that I will finish it. It's a shame I know... Tell me what you guys are thinking and what you want me to do.

#213 makerimages

  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

Update?

#214 xXLeNinjaXx

  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

any update on the newsboard would be great for pubs, caffe, dinner etc!

#215 scottw0801

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

Is there a version that is on pastebin.com?





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users