[1.3+][OS] WolfOS 1.3.3

214 replies to this topic

#81 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostHelenB, on 24 July 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

Hope to see this 1.4.0 version but you didn't give the address to the IRC network your channel is on. :)/> x
Ah, sorry about that :)/> It is #wolfos
EDIT: Actually, I did state this in the same news announcement as when I mentioned the IRC channel :o/> Check the top of the OP.

There is no label.txt but the IDs go up in order so when you create a new floppy it will be the last folder in the computer/disk folder therefore you've no need to look at label.txt
The labels.txt file probably only appears when you actually assign a label to a disk. I included this step for ease of find the disk's ID#, if you have many.

I found a few bugs.
I'm going to need some more detailed reports on how to reproduce these errors. Anyhow, WolfOS 1.4.0 is thoroughly underway, I'd estimate that I'm at around 50 ~ 60% completion; so the 1.3.x branch will probably not get any more updates. I can, however, make sure that these bugs don't exist in 1.4.0, if I know more about them.

Edited by toxicwolf, 25 July 2012 - 08:50 AM.

#82 HelenB

• New Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

View Posttoxicwolf, on 25 July 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

Hope to see this 1.4.0 version but you didn't give the address to the IRC network your channel is on. :(/> x
Ah, sorry about that :)/> It is #wolfos
EDIT: Actually, I did state this in the same news announcement as when I mentioned the IRC channel :D/> Check the top of the OP.

There is no label.txt but the IDs go up in order so when you create a new floppy it will be the last folder in the computer/disk folder therefore you've no need to look at label.txt
The labels.txt file probably only appears when you actually assign a label to a disk. I included this step for ease of find the disk's ID#, if you have many.

I found a few bugs.
I'm going to need some more detailed reports on how to reproduce these errors. Anyhow, WolfOS 1.4.0 is thoroughly underway, I'd estimate that I'm at around 50 ~ 60% completion; so the 1.3.x branch will probably not get any more updates. I can, however, make sure that these bugs don't exist in 1.4.0, if I know more about them.
That is AWESOME because I need the networking features! But are you able to add network support for bundled cable too? I have a secure underground network which is weather proof and hard to hack because it's NOT open to the world. Also my floppy disk does have a label but no label.txt . I also heard that they'll definately be a 1.5.x after 1.4.x ! :D/> x

#83 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostHelenB, on 25 July 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

That is AWESOME because I need the networking features! But are you able to add network support for bundled cable too? I have a secure underground network which is weather proof and hard to hack because it's NOT open to the world.
Bundled cable works exactly the same way as the wireless modems, so no additional compatibility code is required :D/>

Also my floppy disk does have a label but no label.txt.
That is quite strange... But since you have installed fine without that step, lets just leave it be.

I also heard that they'll definately be a 1.5.x after 1.4.x ! :D/> x
Not sure where/who you heard that from... :)/> But I will continue development as long as both me and the community stay interested in WolfOS.

#84 elijah

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

hello direwolf20, i love wolfos and would like to help out any way i can.

email meh at [email protected]

#85 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

View Postelijah, on 25 July 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

hello direwolf20, i love wolfos and would like to help out any way i can.

email meh at [email protected]
I am not the great direwolf20... :)/>

#86 HelenB

• New Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

I will stay interested toxicwolf! :3 also did you say that this OS can work a a network repeater earlier in the thread? x

#87 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

View PostHelenB, on 25 July 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

Did you say that this OS can work a a network repeater earlier in the thread? x
You mean, as some kind of signal booster for wireless modems? Well, the 'Relays', which will come in one of the 1.4.x releases, are a program to act as a "node" in a wide network. As in, WolfOS HyperPaw networking data will be sent through the Relay network to reach clients or servers that are out of range of the sender. They will only work specifically with WolfOS HyperPaw networking though - they won't be a simple signal booster.

#88 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

I have tried so hard to find a way to hate you for your awesomeness, but I just come up being jealous. Is that a common problem?
Great work, BTW. Can't wait for 1.4!

#89 TheOutcast5

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationKonoha - Hidden Leaf Village

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

toxic this awesome

#90 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

View Postcraniumkid22, on 25 July 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

I have tried so hard to find a way to hate you for your awesomeness, but I just come up being jealous. Is that a common problem?
Great work, BTW. Can't wait for 1.4!

View PostTheOutcast5, on 25 July 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

toxic this awesome
Thanks guys! :D/> 1.4.0 is fast approaching, that's all I shall say :)/>

#91 iBluDrop

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

I Need Some Help Wolf, I wrote a code for doors to come unlocked using passwords and i want to add it to your mainMenu, It has 5 tries, So after you fail 5 times i want it to go back to the mainMenu, Or if you get it correctly. Help Is Greatly Appreciated! The Coding Works Fine, I Just Need A Way To Add It To Your Menu. And if you dont mind just put the code that will add it to the group so i can add games and stuff :ph34r:/> Just tell me where it goes, Cheers.

Locking Code
term.clear()
print("SkyOS Version 1.1")
print("SkyOS LockingOS Version 1.2")
shell.run("time")
code = "potato"
debug = "lol"
output = "right"
tries = 5
write "Enter Your Password: "
for triescnt = 1,tries,1 do
password = read()
if password == debug then
print("Debug Mode Activated")
break
end
if password == (code) then
print("Access Granted.")
redstone.setOutput(output, true)
sleep(3)
redstone.setOutput(output, false)
os.shutdown()
else
print("Access Denied. Tries Left: ",tries-triescnt)
write("Enter Your Password: ")
end
if triescnt == tries then
print("Maxuim Tries Reached.")
sleep(2)
print("Shutting Down")
sleep(1)
os.shutdown()
else
end
end

#92 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostiBluDrop, on 29 July 2012 - 03:41 AM, said:

I Need Some Help Wolf, I wrote a code for doors to come unlocked using passwords and i want to add it to your mainMenu, It has 5 tries, So after you fail 5 times i want it to go back to the mainMenu, Or if you get it correctly. Help Is Greatly Appreciated! The Coding Works Fine, I Just Need A Way To Add It To Your Menu. And if you dont mind just put the code that will add it to the group so i can add games and stuff :)/> Just tell me where it goes, Cheers.
It's been a little while since I've even worked with 1.3.3 :ph34r:/>, but moving the program file to the following directory will allow it to be loaded into the program menu:
//WOLF/programs/doorLock.prog/doorLock
It is very important that you create a new dir inside //WOLF/programs/ with the name of your program in camelCase format with '.prog' on the end. Inside the new directory, place your program file, and give it the same name as the directory (without the '.prog').

Sorry for the complicated process, but I didn't add full support for custom programs in WolfOS 1.3.x, but there will be so in 1.4.0; meaning that you can install programs within WolfOS.

As for making the program return the the WolfOS menu, swap your
os.shutdown()
with
os.run({}, "/WOLF/programMenu")

You will also probably need to change the calling of the 'Time' program to
os.run({}, "/rom/programs/time"

Hope that's helpful :)/>

#93 iBluDrop

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Let me get this right, I put the actual program into doorLock.prog?

Sorry If Im Being Annoying Kinda New To The Whole lau, Its really an underrated programming method! Im a professional graphics designer so if you need any help with GFX then just yell at me! :ph34r:/>

#94 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostiBluDrop, on 29 July 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Let me get this right, I put the actual program into doorLock.prog?
The program file (called doorLock) goes into a folder called doorLock.prog. Like I said, this awkward process will become automated in 1.4.0 so the hassle can be avoided.

In other news...

WolfOS 1.4.0 development continues, and I'm getting nearer and nearer to the point where I will have re-written all of the existing functionality in 1.3.3. After that, I can get on with new things such as HyperPaw! :ph34r:/> I'm rather proud of the way the new code has turned out, so in my eyes the re-write and re-design has been worth it. There are many major changes that will have a fair impact on people who have used a previous version of WolfOS; and while I am trying to make the transition as smooth as possible, some things can't be helped - but greener pastures are on the other side :)/>

Also, you can follow along with and watch the progress of the 1.4.0 release in real-time on GitHub!

#95 Graypup

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Yay, encryption. SHA1's the only option? OS installer would be great, if not already done :ph34r:/>

#96 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

View PostGraypup, on 29 July 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Yay, encryption. SHA1's the only option? OS installer would be great, if not already done :ph34r:/>
Well, I tried using a SHA256 implementation I found, but it had a bug in it that I couldn't fix. Apart from that, StrUtils has CRC32, FCS16 and FCS32 hash functions, but I just went with SHA. Why, is there a specific reason why I shouldn't use SHA1?

And the OS installer is already done, it's part of 1.3.x... Insert the disk and voilĂ .

#97 Graypup

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

I don't know why you shouldn't use it, it's fast, and it's sometimes used to encrypt credit card numbers on websites.

#98 MysticT

Lua Wizard

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Well, SHA-2 (SHA256 and SHA224) is more secure than SHA-1. There's already ways to break SHA-1 security, but not for SHA-2.
I implemented SHA-2 in my os, and there was a bug that made it return wrong hashes. After a lot of debuging I found that the problem was the bit handling. It requires 32-bit integers, so I made a bit32 lib that handles them and is faster (most of the times) that the CraftOS bit api.

#99 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

View PostMysticT, on 29 July 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

Well, SHA-2 (SHA256 and SHA224) is more secure than SHA-1. There's already ways to break SHA-1 security, but not for SHA-2.
I implemented SHA-2 in my os, and there was a bug that made it return wrong hashes. After a lot of debuging I found that the problem was the bit handling. It requires 32-bit integers, so I made a bit32 lib that handles them and is faster (most of the times) that the CraftOS bit api.
Yeah, I know about SHA-2 being more secure than SHA-1; I did a little bit of research on hashes before I actually used them. Would I be able to use your SHA-2 implementation and bit32 lib please? I would also be able to remove StrUtils if I find that I don't need any of the other functions, which would be good since it's a fairly large file.

Thanks anyway :ph34r:/>

#100 MysticT

Lua Wizard

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Sure. You can get them from my os download or the github repo, it's inside the system/libs folder. You need the bit32 and hash files.
The hash lib has md5 and sha-2 functions. I might add sha384 and sha512 if possible.
The bit32 lib has almost all the functions in the lua 5.2 bit32 lib, with some extra functions.

EDIT:
Here's the files from github: bit32, hash.

EDIT2:
Yay! 1000 posts!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users