More realistic crafting recipes

25 replies to this topic

#1 Spongy141

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • Location'Merica

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

As the title says. Crafting a computer should be more realistic, like you have to make the mother board, RAM, ect. (since I don't know all the computer parts) instead of gold/stone with glass and redstone... Doesn't seem realistic, I understand that adding more parts to the game would be a major change, but it would be nicer to actually craft a computer how you would almost really make one.

#2 NotAmaster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

I like this idea!

#3 MudkipTheEpic

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationWhere you'd least expect it.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

Well, floating turtles don't seem realistic either, now do they? My point is, if CC was based on realism, we would never use it, because if it was realistic computers would require energy, and they don't. Gee, if CC was based on realism, turtles would be a huge pain in the neck. XD

#4 NotAmaster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Agreed, but they do have magnets right? And rockets? So either way turtles could float, they would just need to use more fuel.

#5 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Dan isn't a fan of lots of intermediary components to build things in mods.

#6 SadKingBilly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

I don't really play MineCraft anymore (it's basically ComputerCraft for me now, and I only play that in creative mode), so this change wouldn't affect me at all. But one thing I hated about most mods when I did play are the ten thousand-step crafting recipes. Sure, that's as much a weakness of MineCraft as it is of the mods, but MineCraft's crafting system wasn't designed with complexity in mind and vanilla MineCraft's crafting recipes don't exhibit much complexity. A lot of mods, on the other hand, force you to literally spend an entire hour simply crafting things for every ten hours of playtime. Many mods do so gratuitously, pointlessly. (And I don't know about you, but I just don't have the time for that. Besides, I thought games were supposed to be fun.)

ComputerCraft's barrier to entry is the fact that you have to learn how to program computers and turtles, it doesn't need another.

#7 Spongy141

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • Location'Merica

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:48 AM

^
True but it would make the mod less over-powered, since you NEED the hard steps in order to craft a computer, so there wouldn't be that "It's too over-powered" thing.

#8 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:17 AM

CC is not over-powered, it just has a lot of freedom. You can do whatever you want with it, if you want to play over-powered with it, then go ahead.

And really, you can throw 5 diamonds in lava and cheat in a computer. IMO its pointless to add a complex crafting recipe for this.
I really do agree with TheCoryKid.

#9 BigSHinyToys

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:00 AM

Hell yes because the real world is made out of 1^3 blocks and everything. /sar

This has been suggested before and not gotten in it should be in the don't ask about list.
My personal opinion is either way doesn't matter to me much. If it was added it would be nice to have a config option to use normal recipes. But seeing as the development time that would go into that would into be going into other cools stuff like the upcoming PDA makes me drift towards no.

#10 C0rv0

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

I think the idea is great, yes it is annoying to do complex recipes, but at least change the redstone part of the computers crafting recipe to a motherboard so its at least on the lines of realistic.

#11 immibis

Lua God

• Members
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

The only realistic recipe is to build a redstone computer, write a Lua interpreter and then use a shrink-ray.

#12 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Work required to use and maintain a computer/turtle in the context of automation -> High
Why? Because they require programming, which requires creativity, hard work, and skill.

Work required to use and maintain items from many mods such as logistic pipes -> Low/Medium
Why? Because once you've got them going and have a decent power source, they will work forever.

Work necessary to craft a computer/turtle -> Low/Medium
Why? Because it is expected that you will spend the majority of your time programming these things, not looking for resources or wasting time making them.

Work necessary to craft logistic pipes + the power sources necessary to use them -> Medium/High
Why? Because once they're crafted, it requires little thought to use them. Simply follow the steps you're given on the wiki and Bam! It's all done.

Now I don't play much in survival mode - I find creative to be more enjoyable. But regardless, I still dislike the suggestion due to the fact that it follows faulty logic. And besides, realism has no place in Minecraft. Realism is for the real world. Let's keep it there.

#13 Noiro

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostTheCoryKid, on 18 April 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

ComputerCraft's barrier to entry is the fact that you have to learn how to program computers and turtles, it doesn't need another.
Considering the massive benefit you gain from turtles, I woudl at least think a more realistic fueling system should be in place. A stack of logs and some coal apparently is enough to dig a 10x10 hole to oblivion. It takes a new user literally 2 hours to get the materials they need to start having turtles dig worldholes and massive resource accumulation with little under the excavate command. I at least would prefer the excavate command not be a default (I am aware server owners can change it, but what is default tends to be what is used). Most users don't need to program a strip mining program or even spend time doing it with the excavate command.

Other mods which have digging mechanisms (such as quarries), require huge amounts of diamonds and gold to craft, then they require an external power source (more resources). Turtles require a few logs, a chest, and to type "excavate 500" and a chunk loader to return in a few days.

#14 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

View PostSignify, on 19 April 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Considering the massive benefit you gain from turtles, I woudl at least think a more realistic fueling system should be in place. A stack of logs and some coal apparently is enough to dig a 10x10 hole to oblivion.
A mod should be fun right? Why make it harder when there is already a great system?

#15 Noiro

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostEngineer, on 19 April 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

View PostSignify, on 19 April 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Considering the massive benefit you gain from turtles, I woudl at least think a more realistic fueling system should be in place. A stack of logs and some coal apparently is enough to dig a 10x10 hole to oblivion.
A mod should be fun right? Why make it harder when there is already a great system?
Because I think more difficulty can sometimes lead to a greater system if done in moderation. Turtles as they are tend to be a bit too easy to reach end-game in terms of resources. And half of the fun of Minecraft is gathering the resources.

#16 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostSignify, on 19 April 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

- snip -

If you find it OP, just throw some diamonds in lava and cheat in a turtle. Or just dont use it

#17 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

I agree with Engineer. The difficulty behind turtles is the programming aspect, whereas the difficulty behind things like buildcraft quarries is gathering enough resources/power to make them work. If you think it's too easy, then clearly you aren't programming enough.

#18 Noiro

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostBubba, on 19 April 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

I agree with Engineer. The difficulty behind turtles is the programming aspect, whereas the difficulty behind things like buildcraft quarries is gathering enough resources/power to make them work. If you think it's too easy, then clearly you aren't programming enough.
It's not really what I'm doing, it's just the fact that by default, the excavate program combined with fuel literally requires no programming and returns all kinds of resources for little to no cost. If computers and turtles were setup so they were practically useless except for what you coded them to do, I could understand. The default programs included combined with tiny fuel requirement is a bit meh. I love using turtles and computers, I just also want to get as much out of the Minecraft experience as possible.

#19 Sammich Lord

IRC Addict

• Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationThe Sammich Kingdom

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostSignify, on 19 April 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

View PostBubba, on 19 April 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

It's not really what I'm doing, it's just the fact that by default, the excavate program combined with fuel literally requires no programming and returns all kinds of resources for little to no cost. If computers and turtles were setup so they were practically useless except for what you coded them to do, I could understand. The default programs included combined with tiny fuel requirement is a bit meh. I love using turtles and computers, I just also want to get as much out of the Minecraft experience as possible.
Which one is more expensive to use and make a turtle or a query?

#20 SuicidalSTDz

Permutator of Strings

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

Then don't use CC in place of a quarry. There are other alternatives, use them.

Damn ninja

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users