computer utility networking

19 replies to this topic

#1 LNETeam

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEclipse

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

Volunteer Co-Developers for Hire

Good Morning ComputerCraft Forums. As you have probably read by the title, I'm currently looking for some volunteer co-developers for a project I'm working on. I'm looking for innovative, outside-the-box thinkers, and someone that would like to help with this project.

What'll would be required:

• Someone who is prompt and not a procrastinator
  • Previous coding experience
  • Creative and innovative
  • Organized (sloppiness will dictate immediate termination of project: Any work will still be credited)

The project: centralized 24/7 file-server, peer to peer file share, account login, main server.

If anyone is interested in participating in this project, please PM me or send me an email@: [email protected].

Thank you and look forward to working with some of you!

#2 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

Just wondering, is the file server over HTTP, using PHP and SQL, or is it over Rednet?

Plus, this is the wrong place to put the topic, you will want to report the topic so it can be moved to general by a moderator.

#3 LNETeam

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEclipse

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

View PostGravityScore, on 18 April 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

Just wondering, is the file server over HTTP, using PHP and SQL, or is it over Rednet?

Plus, this is the wrong place to put the topic, you will want to report the topic so it can be moved to general by a moderator.

Rednet

#4 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

Moved to General.

#5 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

What files are you going to save on the server?

If you want to safe only text documents/codes then you can use PHP cuz rednet is unsecure and it haves a limitided distance ^^

EDIT:
The simplest way for your login in is MySQL :)

#6 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

View PostFreack100, on 18 April 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

If you want to safe only text documents/codes then you can use PHP cuz rednet is unsecure and it haves a limitided distance ^^

EDIT:
The simplest way for your login in is MySQL :)

Not really.
Doing the login and file storage would require learning PHP, finding decent hosting, learning about security, learning how to use and interact with MySQL, and a whole bunch of other difficulties. Rednet would be way simpler, and probably more secure than PHP (without proper security measurements put in place in the PHP).

And to overcome the distance issue, just use a Rednet API that includes routers, or just write your own router system.

#7 LNETeam

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEclipse

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:26 AM

I made a random channel enchange code snippet, basically, on set server times random channels are created with a pattern identical to the client's, thus random channels for a secure network. I plan to use resent obviously, because my php knowledge and mysql knowledge is very rudimentary, it could be future incorporation, but now will be rednet

#8 LNETeam

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEclipse

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:29 AM

View PostFreack100, on 18 April 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

EDIT:
The simplest way for your login in is MySQL :)/>

Pretty much, a simulated terminal will allow you to run exactly the same as a normal shell, and you can put or get files from the server. Client connection will not be required once the file is in the servers disk. All files or programs you make will be able to have access to the server.

#9 Symmetryc

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

So basically a Drop-Box-esque directory in each computer on a server?

#10 LNETeam

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEclipse

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostSymmetryc, on 18 April 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

So basically a Drop-Box-esque directory in each computer on a server?

Yes, kind of like a Dropbox for CC

#11 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

A few questions.

What makes this different from using Pastebin?
Why not use an HTTP server?
What do you mean by 'peer-to-peer'? It's hosted on a server isn't it?

#12 LNETeam

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEclipse

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

View Postoeed, on 19 April 2013 - 12:45 AM, said:

A few questions.

What makes this different from using Pastebin?
Why not use an HTTP server?
What do you mean by 'peer-to-peer'? It's hosted on a server isn't it?

1. What makes it different?

In reality, it isn't than pastebin. I wash just trying to make it easy to store, download, and share files in ComputerCraft.

2. Why not use HTTP server?

First and foremost, I do not own any domains currently, and my knowledge of PHP is very scarce.

3. What do you mean by 'peer-to-peer'? It's hosted on a server isn't it?

What I'm trying to do, is create a centralized server, that a person can log into any computer, list files, upload files, download files. This will be accessible by another person logging in and viewing the file uploaded. A global share program. Now peer-to-peer is an idea for two clients to connect to each other and either send messages with files or send files back and forth between each other. This is to make sharing easier, without having to use disks.

#13 Symmetryc

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Oh yeah and I almost forgot to mention, I'd love to join your team, but I don't use Skype and I might not have that much time because of Middle School if that is okay with you :).

#14 LNETeam

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEclipse

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:32 AM

That'd be great! There'll be a message in your inbox detailing some other things.

#15 Chainmanner

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

It would be an honor to join in, but I can't really. For one, I can program decently but this is a rather complicated thing. Plus, I always have a lot to do in my singleplayer world. Unofficially, I'd do my best, though!

#16 TorakTu

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

I don't like skype, but I am curious to know more before I commit. If you use Mumble, then I can voice with you.

#17 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

Good luck trying to find a programmer who isn't a procrastinator. A good programmer is a Lazy one.

#18 1lann

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostPharap, on 02 May 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Good luck trying to find a programmer who isn't a procrastinator. A good programmer is a Lazy one.
Mmm. Me and gravs procrastinate all the time XD I'm still bugging him to fix thunderhawk -_- though I've already done my portion. I only program if I'm in the mood to, and only if someone else motivates me :P.

#19 Symmetryc

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostLNETeam, on 21 April 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

That'd be great! There'll be a message in your inbox detailing some other things.
Not trying to rush you if you haven't had any time lately, but I never got the message :P.

#20 LNETeam

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEclipse

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Sorry, I know, it's been busy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users