[WIP] Pokemon Ruby Remake using CCLights2

32 replies to this topic

#1 ds84182

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

Guys. I started a remake of Pokemon Ruby. This is all I can show you for progress but... Meh, progress is progress. http://imgur.com/rZt...6NEV2QD,GJlesMO
This game will require ether:
Lots of Discs (To store 15MB worth of data on) or
A custom config that allows 15MB+ data on a single computer.

The reason why the game uses so much data is because it has ALL the sprites from the actual game, so we need lots of space.

I plan to have the full story, stat logic, and move logic in the game, a swell as all the Pokemon logic.

Anyways, I wanted to post this before I went to bed. Goodnight.

#2 amtra5

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

Cool ;)

#3 BigSHinyToys

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

Haven't played ruby in a long while humm... I Should check that.

The scale of this project is crazy. Weather you finish it or not I congratulate you for event the attempt. On another note why not make an emulator that could run more than one game ?? more effort initially but bigger pay off in the End ?

#4 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

Wait... how did you get the screen... did you make a custom peripheral?

Personally, I've never (thats right, never) played Pokemon before. I've watched people play it, but I've never played it. (please, don't start a flamewar, I'm just pointing this out) So I don't have a huge understanding of Pokemon and how it works, but is it really 15MB! Any chance you can give us a demo type thing?

This looks amazing by the way.

#5 ds84182

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

View Postoeed, on 19 April 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

Wait... how did you get the screen... did you make a custom peripheral?

Personally, I've never (thats right, never) played Pokemon before. I've watched people play it, but I've never played it. (please, don't start a flamewar, I'm just pointing this out) So I don't have a huge understanding of Pokemon and how it works, but is it really 15MB! Any chance you can give us a demo type thing?

This looks amazing by the way.
The peripheral is CCLights2. I am using my custom ccdesk plugin. I don't know if I can give you guys a demo, but the code is going on GitHub so that we can all work on the game. This will soon become a community project.

#6 ds84182

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:11 AM

View PostBigSHinyToys, on 19 April 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

The scale of this project is crazy. Weather you finish it or not I congratulate you for event the attempt. On another note why not make an emulator that could run more than one game ?? more effort initially but bigger pay off in the End ?
An emulator would not be feasible because CC is basically emulated, Emuceptions are slow :P/>

#7 Symmetryc

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

View Postds84182, on 19 April 2013 - 01:11 AM, said:

An emulator would not be feasible because CC is basically emulated, Emuceptions are slow :P/>
And aren't emulators for other's work also... illegal? I think it's best to just code your own code (what you're doing right now).

#8 Sammich Lord

IRC Addict

• Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationThe Sammich Kingdom

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostSymmetryc, on 19 April 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

And aren't emulators for other's work also... illegal? I think it's best to just code your own code (what you're doing right now).
The laws surrounding emulators are kinda weird. If you make a emulator you are walking a thin line.

#9 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Can't you lower the resolution on the sprites, and save some data? it's not like we need pixel by pixel reproduction.

#10 ds84182

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

View PostSammich Lord, on 19 April 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

View PostSymmetryc, on 19 April 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

An emulator would not be feasible because CC is basically emulated, Emuceptions are slow :P/>/>
The laws surrounding emulators are kinda weird. If you make a emulator you are walking a thin line.
And that guys is why I am not making an emulator!

#11 ds84182

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostCranium, on 19 April 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

Can't you lower the resolution on the sprites, and save some data? it's not like we need pixel by pixel reproduction.
CCLights2 does not have alpha blending. The resolutions are fine, if I resized them we would lose needed details. One thing I can look into is using indexed colors, since it is a reproduction of a gameboy game.

#12 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Back in the day when I played on my game oy color... Damn that was awesome. I usedto play pokemon red, and Ive gotten a charizard from level 100.. That was awesome!

Im really looking forward to this, I stopped playing pokemon at the diamond/pearl and I really liked sapphire. Can you post a screenshot? :3

Also, pokemon is (...) nowadays :/

#13 ETHANATOR360

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationyour hardrive

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

ruby is one of the what i consider the best 3 the others being saphire and emerald

#14 ds84182

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

Improvements! I just made the game require less! Before, with the front, back, icons, and battlebackground, the game needed 11MB of space. Using my new "ultra uber compressinal method from deep under the sea" or UUCMFDUS, I now only use 4.1mb of data WHILE retaining the quality of the game!

#15 M4sh3dP0t4t03

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

What about making an API for Pokemon games?

#16 superaxander

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostEngineer, on 19 April 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Back in the day when I played on my game oy color... Damn that was awesome. I usedto play pokemon red, and Ive gotten a charizard from level 100.. That was awesome!

Im really looking forward to this, I stopped playing pokemon at the diamond/pearl and I really liked sapphire. Can you post a screenshot? :3

That were good times...Why oh why does everybody laugh at me when I play Pokemon. Oh why! ;(

#17 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

View Postsuperaxander, on 20 April 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

View PostEngineer, on 19 April 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

That were good times...Why oh why does everybody laugh at me when I play Pokemon. Oh why! ;(

Well Im not laughing at you. I have just said that the newer pokemons are.. You know.. special..
But if you do like it, dont hold back to play it. You play games for entertainment, you dont play for your friends.
Please, if I did offend you, I need to make apologies. I did not meant it like that, you must play what you like :)

#18 superaxander

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

No you didn't offend me my friends do :(

#19 FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L)

• Banned
  • 435 posts
  • LocationThe left part of this post

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

Post your code and the plugin for cc desk so we can test it!!

#20 ds84182

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:56 AM

View Posturielsalis, on 21 April 2013 - 02:36 AM, said:

Post your code and the plugin for cc desk so we can test it!!
Soon, my "child", soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users