Turtle through nether portal

6 replies to this topic

#1 Vorg

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

Is it possible to send a turtle through a nether portal to build a shelter around the portal on the other side? I read they are treated as players.

#2 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

I don't believe so, unfortunately. But if you have a chunkloader in the nether, you can have another turtle break the turtle, put it in an ender chest, and then extract it from the nether.

#3 Hawk777

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

IIRC loose item stacks go through portals now too, so could you just have a turtle break the turtle, drop it, it passes through the portal, a turtle on the far side sucks it up and deploys it?

#4 Izodn

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostBubba, on 19 April 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

I don't believe so, unfortunately. But if you have a chunkloader in the nether, you can have another turtle break the turtle, put it in an ender chest, and then extract it from the nether.

I don't belive turtles can access vanilla Ender Chests.

#5 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostIzodn, on 19 April 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

View PostBubba, on 19 April 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

I don't belive turtles can access vanilla Ender Chests.

Indeed; Vanilla ender chests cannot be accessed. If you play on FTB or Tekkit however, there is a block that replaces the ender chest which they can access. My mistake.

#6 Vorg

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

These ideas require setting something up on the other side first. Plus, when you pick up a turtle, it's program is lost and you need to put it down next to a drive and load from a disk again.

I want the turtle to be the first thing through, going through and building a shelter around the portal on the other side.

#7 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostVorg, on 19 April 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

These ideas require setting something up on the other side first. Plus, when you pick up a turtle, it's program is lost and you need to put it down next to a drive and load from a disk again.

I want the turtle to be the first thing through, going through and building a shelter around the portal on the other side.

If you give the turtle a label with "label set your_label_here", it will not lose programs or fuel.

And unfortunately you will need some mechanism on the other side to set up the turtle, so it will be unable to build a shelter on the other side without you going over there and setting something up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users