Turtle; The "Roguelike"

turtle game wireless

5 replies to this topic

#1 Nina

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

So I got this idea yesterday for some reason and decided I wanted to try and actually make it happen. I know this probably has been done many times before, but here's my take on it.

Turtle: The "Roguelike"

This program lets you control and "play as" a turtle kinda like if it was a roguelike game.
The programs must be run on a wireless mining turtle and an avanced computer with a modem attached to the top.

The controls are somewhat like the controls in Rogue.
  • a: Mine a block (The 'a' key uses an item such as a pickaxe in NetHack, that is why I chose it)
  • p: Place a block
  • s: Quick search
  • S: Identifying search -- Identifies the blocks around you and colors them.
  • hjkl: Move around (left, down, up and right respectively)
  • q: Quit
Current issues:
  • The item selection sucks: It doesn't know which of the turtle's slots actually contains items and there's no way to view more detailed information.
  • You have no way to know which blocks are which color if you don't look at the code.
  • Mobs in the way of the turtle make it unable to move, but you can't see them.
  • Probably a bunch of other things I didn't think about...
Screenshots:
Spoiler

Download Changelog:
  • 1.0-supersneakyquickupdatethatnobodywillhopefullynotice: Made the turtle open the needed modem channel.

#2 TheVarmari

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Very nice. I can see this being used to defuse bombs. (Guude!)

#3 SadKingBilly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

Great work! Now that the turtle opens the modem, it works great! ;) I hope you continue working on it. Moving up and down (instead of just backward and forward) would be cool.

#4 Nina

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna add that at some point, shouldn't be all too terribly difficult.

#5 electrodude512

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

That's cool! If you make it 3d, you should do it similarly to how Dwarf Fortress does it in its adventure mode and its object testing arena. If you don't I will Eventuallyâ„¢ with my own version.

#6 Left4Cake

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostNina, on 14 May 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

• You have no way to know which blocks are which color if you don't look at the code.

Can't you just edit your post in include this information.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users