favorite operating system (non computercraft)

120 replies to this topic

#1 ETHANATOR360

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationyour hardrive

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

whats your favorite os? i prefer windows 7 and android (because i love java) altough i do also use ubuntu

#2 Grim Reaper

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

Out of all of the operating systems that I've used, I personally like Windows 8 the best.

#3 ETHANATOR360

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationyour hardrive

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

wow really? i thought metro UI was terrible and cluttered although i do like the live feed icons but i guess thats an opinion

#4 Grim Reaper

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

I keep my start screen fairly clean and anything use on a daily basis is in my task bar when I switch to the desktop.
Here are screenshots of both:

Desktop
Start Screen

#5 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

Linux Mint FTW. It's way faster than other distros, uses less resources, is stable, has a nice set of default programs, and manages to have that nice balance between customizability, attractiveness, and lightweight-ness.

And yeah, W8 isn't really that bad. It's better than 7 imo. I prefer more simplistic interfaces and themes. I refer to both the Metro UI and the desktop theme. Plus, having an updated version of windows is generally better in the longrun for software compatibility and support.

#6 ETHANATOR360

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationyour hardrive

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

i just never liked leaving the desktop to launch a program

#7 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

This cannot end well...

#8 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

I use Windows 7. I have seen Windows 8 and while I like the new window border, I haven't seen enough of it to make me get it. I don't hate it, I just don't think what I've seen of it warrants spending the money when 7 is still good.

Never used any form of Unix system and I'm unlikely to any time soon. It's not that I don't like them, it's just that It would be too much effort and right now I have more important things to do. Plus I don't want to have to run C# through Mono or get the Linux versions of the programs I have, it's just effort.

I will use Linux someday when I can afford a better computer for my main stuff and a secondary netbook for Linux.

#9 yaaay

• Banned
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

OSX!They rule

#10 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

View PostETHANATOR360, on 18 May 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

whats your favorite os? i prefer windows 7 and android (because i love java) altough i do also use ubuntu
Out of interest, did you know that technically android doesn't actually run Java bytecode?
So it could in theory run code written in any language.

#11 1vannn

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

I have a MacBook Pro, and it crashes. The video card is ok, but I also have a HP Touchsmart TX2 with Windows 7, and apart from the video card, it's amazing.

#12 crazyadam0

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWashing a ton state USA, North America, Earth, The Universe, The Multiverse (If that exists)

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Windows 8 only works on tablets/smartphones/touch screen devices. Ios sucks and Linux is cool. Ubuntu is weird.

#13 yaaay

• Banned
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostEnderbane, on 18 May 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

Windows 8 only works on tablets/smartphones/touch screen devices. Ios sucks and Linux is cool. Ubuntu is weird.

Wish my 10.04 disk is still there

#14 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

Can we make a "you must give reasons for liking|disliking things, not just fanboy|hate over them" rule?

#15 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

View PostEnderbane, on 18 May 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

W8 works better wihout a touchscreen than with, actually. I still don't know why people say this.

#16 Grim Reaper

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

View PostPharap, on 19 May 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

Can we make a "you must give reasons for liking|disliking things, not just fanboy|hate over them" rule?

That and, unfortunately, internet forums are often not places in which people recognize the universal law of "to each his" own when it comes to preferences and other subjective matters.
Dat internet.

#17 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

View PostGrim Reaper, on 19 May 2013 - 12:31 AM, said:

View PostPharap, on 19 May 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

That and, unfortunately, internet forums are often not places in which people recognize the universal law of "to each his" own when it comes to preferences and other subjective matters.
Dat internet.

I would hope that everyone here is just about civilised enough to accept such a rule if the thread creator instated it as a rule.

I'm being optimistic about human nature for once, I say we allow the rule on those grounds alone lol

#18 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:20 AM

Personally I do prefer anything UNIX, but due to the nature of work I perform OS X is definitely my OS of choice.

View PostKingdaro, on 18 May 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

And yeah, W8 isn't really that bad. It's better than 7 imo.
It is much better imo too. It uses way less resources, Windows Aero was something that shouldn't have lasted as long as it did.

View PostPharap, on 18 May 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

Well it would need a runtime for any language that isn't C/C++, just like Java running through the Dalvik runtime.

#19 M4sh3dP0t4t03

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

I prefer OSX/Linux because they are UNIX systems. Also for OSX there is xCode, which is my favourite IDE. I still use windows a lot, but most times more for gaming than development.

#20 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:09 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 19 May 2013 - 01:20 AM, said:

View PostPharap, on 18 May 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

Well it would need a runtime for any language that isn't C/C++, just like Java running through the Dalvik runtime.

And therein lies the 'in theory' part of my statement.
Although if someone made a bytecode translator, they could make other languages or bytecode convert to Dalvik bytecode (obviously permitting for missing features such as function pointers, unless the Dalvik VM can emulate their functionality. Last time I checked, it couldn't).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users