[Railcraft Mod] Elevator Control

137 replies to this topic

#21 OminousPenguin

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostSyberSmoke, on 21 May 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

I am figuring it out as I go. What I am curious about is if you will be adding extra options to your code in the future. Things like touch monitor support, floor naming, spiffy menus...things like that. The niceties.
I have hardly played Minecraft since I made this program last April, and not at all with computer craft. So this is the first time I've even heard of a touch monitor (the version I made it with didn't even have monitors) and have no solid plans to develop the program. Sorry. I might have a look at it if I have time.
Why not use this as an opportunity to teach yourself simple programming?

I am also a little curious, I do not see a "cart detector" (Feed the Beast: MindCrack) so would "Detector - ANY" be aplicable or is there another detector you had in mind.
I don't remember. Try it and find out. I guess any would be best.

Addition: Bug - attempting to use the install program returns "bios:338: [string "install"]:19: ')' expected
That's because this forum stripped some necessary slashes. I've edited the first post to fix this.

#22 SyberSmoke

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

I have tried with little success to learn programming. It just does not stick. So...oh well to that one. :-D

#23 OminousPenguin

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

What version of MC are you using? I was about to setup MC with ComputerCraft, RailCraft and RedPower2 but I see RP2 is only available for 1.4.7...

#24 SyberSmoke

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

Feed the beast mod pack - Mindcrack.

Feed-the-beast.com

That way you can use their launcher to get the proper mod and if say another issue comes about with a FTB mod you can get it and test. :-)

And yeah as usual Eloraam is being seclusive. She is working on a 1.5 port of redpower...but how long people have to wait is any ones guess.

#25 OminousPenguin

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

SyberSmoke, give yourself a pat on the back. You've poked me into action.

I've installed Minecraft 1.4.6, ComputerCraft 1.52, Railcraft 6.14.0.0, and RedPower 2.0pr6 (Core and Digital)

First I'll implement peer discovery and floor names with a list of floors to select from.

Other stuff like monitors may follow.

#26 SyberSmoke

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Well it is good to see that you have taken an interest in redeveloping your program. My marble tower looks forward to seeing what you come up with. :-)

#27 OminousPenguin

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

Feel free to suggest features.

#28 SyberSmoke

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

An installer/updater that will download the latest version using the pastebin api? So all I need to get is install and run it and it will connect, download, and be ready in one shot? hehe...I guess I am just being lazy with that one.

Second through for long term: Multiple elevators running from a single computer terminal. So three shafts with one computer per floor.

Third thought as a possible necessity: It may be necessary for terminals (floors) to relay signals if the master control is to far away from a terminal.

#29 OminousPenguin

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Will do the pastebin thing and the relay thing. Though I don't think a 'master control' will be necessary. Do you think it is? What for?

Multiple elevators with one computer per floor is an interesting idea but as you say, something for the long term.

#30 SyberSmoke

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

A master control may not be necessary, no but it would depend on the setup. As I understood it your update computer in the last version was something of a master computer. But my understanding was lacking as creepers kept blowing up my test platform. :-(

#31 OminousPenguin

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:24 AM

Yes the master comptuter was also because when I developed it I either didn't know about the HTTP API from ComputerCraft, or it wasn't enabled on the server, or maybe the version of CC didn't have the HTTP API yet. - So I had to type everything in manually so used the master computer to distribute it to all the floors.

Any ideas for using monitors?

#32 SyberSmoke

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

Well...Monitors.

I believe that the Advanced Monitors allow for touch screen interaction. If you leave a little space some where you could show the floor your on, you could allow the player to choose what shaft cart they are going to use (Elevator Shaft 1,2, 3). And to allow then to pick their floor number/ named floor destination for that elevator.

If there are no carts there, then there should be no choices, just a big "Call Elevator" button should work. I did like that you showed the elevator was in use and that would be a handy thing again also.

#33 OminousPenguin

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Quick question: Are your elevator computers on each floor directly above/bellow eachother? ie do they all have the same x and z coordinate?

I'll support them being all over the place but just wondering what to make default. All over the place requires 4 GPS hosts. All above/below eachother only needs 2.

#34 SyberSmoke

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

If I may ask, why would you need a GPS system for a static elevator system? I mean I use a GPS system for my turtles, but an elevator with static floors, wouldn;t it be better to be "dumb"??

#35 OminousPenguin

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

They need their y coordinate so they know what order they are in. If we're going to have a list of floors to select from, it would kinda suck if they weren't in the right order.
Please choose your destination:

1st Floor
Basement
Ground Floor
Roof

It's not so bad with only 4 floors but if you've got lots of floors then it would be annoying!

So the options are:
1. User specifies y coordinate for each floor. (Fine if you've only got a few)
2. User specifies x,y,z for first 4 floors which then run as GPS hosts in the background, then the rest can get their y coordinate from them (Good if you've got lots of floors).

When setting up each floor they need to follow a quick setup wizard to check for a modem and specify a name for the floor, then they have the option of 1. Specifying the y coordinate, 2. Get coordinate from GPS, 3. Specify x,y,z and start gps.host in the background.

#36 SyberSmoke

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Or of coarse the user could just specificity:

What floor is this: B1/B2/B3, 1/2/3 (B for down if you want to expand down or whole numbers for up)
What is the Floor Name: <Some random name>

Now using a GPS would have benefits of coarse, really you could just set everything up ahead of time and use your Update computer could say:
5 elevator computers found, their heights are: 1, 5, 8, 10, 15.
Is the computer at y=1 ground floor? Y/N
if Y then each computer is assigned a floor value.
if N it asks about next value.

Or just let the player say ground floor is # and floors up are listed, floors down are listed with a B# descending.

And this may all have nothing to do with reality so..yeah.

#37 OminousPenguin

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:59 AM

I'm not planning on having an 'update computer'.

If the user specifies B2/B1/G/1/2/3 etc themselves, then if they want to add another floor between G and B1, two existing floors, then the program should change the existing B1 to B2 and B2 to B3. (That's fine, but adds a bit more work for me)

What if the user builds an elevator stop on the ground floor, and then the 3rd floor, but not on the 2nd floor. Then they dig out another floor between the 1st and 2nd and put an elevator stop on it. They want this new one to be the 2nd floor. How does the elevator know that the 3rd floor should be renamed the 4th floor and they haven't simply built a stop on the original 2nd floor? It has to ask them what to do.
I want to keep it simple, while allowing people to use it however they want.

I think I'll just ask for y coordinate and a name and provide the functionality to rename floors.

#38 SyberSmoke

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

that works

#39 SyberSmoke

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

So how goes the work? I am very curious.

#40 OminousPenguin

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

I keep refactoring it trying to make it smaller and more efficient. I should probably just finish it and leave the optimisation until afterwards.

I'll let you know as soon at there's something to test.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users