Mobile Version

7 replies to this topic

#1 Bwham

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

Is there any way we can get a mobile version up? I don't know much about mediawiki, but I'm willing to learn. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place:P

#2 Imque

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

I don't know if MediaWiki already has a mobile system but if it doesn't it may be a fair bit of work

#3 AfterLifeLochie

Wiki Oracle

• Moderators
  • 480 posts
  • LocationAfterLifeLochie's "Dungeon", Australia

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

MediaWiki does not have, and does not support, a mobile version. It's a wiki meant to be browsed on a desktop, not on a phone.

No, we will not write one either. The only person who has global file-system access is Dan, and myself (MediaWiki only). I don't trust any third-party code on a production sever, let alone one of this traffic quantity.

#4 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Yeah, it's quite readily browsable on mobile devices, and since none of the staff are professional mobile web designers, this would be a Bad Plan ™.

#5 Imque

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:52 AM

I completely agree with Lyqyd and Lochie. My mobile web designing can be hard. Its not that much of a big deal. I am sure if you can browse the wiki via a mobile device, you can zoom into it.

#6 Hawk777

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:28 AM

Wikipedia has a mobile version, and the Wikimedia Foundation tends to be pretty in favour of open source software, so I would be surprised if you couldn’t find that code (and, of course, it would share its database with the desktop view of the same wiki, which would be what we want here as well). Whether the code is packaged up in a useful shape for deployment to another site or whether it’s a pile of hacky patches, well, that’s a different matter…

#7 TehSomeLuigi

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

While this should be implemented at the computercraft.info end, I had a small attempt at this.

http://ccw.someluigi.com/test.php

You can kinda browse through it for now, but it doesn't support any of the Templates (or Images, due to difficulties accessing those).

May or may not work on it, of course I'd need permission to do a real version.

The source code (5 minutes):
http://ccw.someluigi.com/source.php

Also the main page positions elements like that would need an override in order to display it well for mobiles.

Edit: Now I notice you can add the &useskin=myskin parameter to do the HTML for you. I may update for this.

#8 Snocker15

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

Couldn't you just install that?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users