Snap and Box - The dynamic duo of mining turtles - Expandable mining well quarry without frames

turtle wireless

71 replies to this topic

#1 psyestorm

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

UPDATE 1:

Hi everyone,

Here's the update video with some new features.

They include:
  • Launcher with automatic updating of launcher and snap/box programs
  • Works in new Misc Peripherals
  • Overflow protection
  • Works in worlds with fuel turned off now.
  • Stopping after x blocks
  • NxN rectangle mining

------------------------
ORIGINAL:

Hi Guys,

I had this idea of using turtles to replace the Redpower 2 mining well frame quarries with turtles.

I used an engineering turtle and a mining turtle to move mining wells and energy tesseracts across the map to great effect.

This setup is very fast and expandable.

Here is a youtube video of the idea in action:

Here is the git repository in case anyone wants to contribute:
https://github.com/p...torm/SnapAndBox

Here are the pastebins:
http://pastebin.com/7dzX0PF8
http://pastebin.com/qfE5pBvq

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

#2 unobtanium

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

That is really well done. The idea is great! What about changing some variables, before you let them go and start mining? For example ask the player if he wants to change the variables and if not it just skips it and uses the standard ones or it let the user tipe in the number he wants to e.g. let the turtle wait before keep going or the charge level.
Also a variable, which lets the turtle move just a given amount of blocks would be nice. So that you dont have to chase the turtle or come back in a hour if you dont let them mine trough a neighbor's base :P

I quickly run over the code (to check how you made them sync :P ) and it was well done!
The only mistake i saw was at line 166 (rechargeBox). it would print "Received: .. msg".

#3 psyestorm

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I do need to redo a part of that syncing code - If you boot snap first you don't get that error - but I just have to have box handle the nil broadcast that snap sends out if you boot box first.

This is version 1.0 so I do have lots of ideas for future features. I'm working on session persistance/resuming right now and having them stop after a certain number of blocks. I want to give them the ability to turn/mine a set rectangular area also. I also have code to give the user the option of opting into automatic updates so if I change the code people can get updates when their turtles next reboot.

Definitely been a fun project so far and I've got another cool one in the works.

-Psyestorm

#4 unobtanium

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Great! Nice to hear that are keep going with the program.

#5 JustPingo

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Very nice. Pretty fast.
Can it auto-refuel turtles ?

#6 LazyNub

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

psyestorm, on 28 May 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback. I do need to redo a part of that syncing code - If you boot snap first you don't get that error - but I just have to have box handle the nil broadcast that snap sends out if you boot box first.

This is version 1.0 so I do have lots of ideas for future features. I'm working on session persistance/resuming right now and having them stop after a certain number of blocks. I want to give them the ability to turn/mine a set rectangular area also. I also have code to give the user the option of opting into automatic updates so if I change the code people can get updates when their turtles next reboot.

Definitely been a fun project so far and I've got another cool one in the works.

-Psyestorm

Really nice idea.

#7 AustinKK

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationLeeds, UK

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Hey psyestorm,

Nice idea well implemented. :D

Have you tested its performance against frame quarries? How does it get on?

#8 CreeKsx3

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Awsome i've set up so many of them in my world can i use it in my os which will be released soon and of corse i will add credits

#9 legobmw99

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Can you share exactly what the turtles are? I know they are mining and engineer, and chunkloading, but what else?

#10 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

This is awesome. Question though, how can you communicate wirelessly if they have chunkloaders in their other peripheral slot? And would it be difficult to modify this program to dig out a square?

#11 SavageCore

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

D3matt, on 30 May 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

This is awesome. Question though, how can you communicate wirelessly if they have chunkloaders in their other peripheral slot? And would it be difficult to modify this program to dig out a square?

Chunk Loaders work as Wireless Modems too.

To OP: This is incredible!

#12 psyestorm

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

CreeKsx3, on 30 May 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Awsome i've set up so many of them in my world can i use it in my os which will be released soon and of corse i will add credits

Sure, I'd be happy to be included. I'm working on a new version that supports resuming and other features so just wait for that one please.

Look here or reddit for updates.

#13 CrissHill

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

I'm not sure if you noticed but you're gonna need 4 turtles for this to work in the future. Chunkloaders no longer are crafted with the wireless modem.

You need:

Wireless mining turtle
Wireless Engineering turtle
2 Wireless Chunk Loading Turtles

#14 Vorg

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

I didn't realize chunk loaders were also wireless modules. Too bad they are splitting that. Should be left together. Armor modules are kind of worthless as are expanded cargo mods because there just isn't enough slots left to make them useful.

You can use MJ's to power the charging stations?

This could really use some path control. Maybe 3 options:

Simply how far to go in a line
spiral out creating an ever expanding quarry pit
a pit of a fixed size in 2 directions.

#15 jakemg

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

Hey what mod pack in ftb is this cause I would like to know how to get that import bus cause right now im only using gates. Also what is that machine next to that me importbus pipe thing

#16 Zokutai

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

jakemg, on 02 June 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

Hey what mod pack in ftb is this cause I would like to know how to get that import bus cause right now im only using gates. Also what is that machine next to that me importbus pipe thing

This is not necessarily FTB. Anyway, the mod that gives the import bus and all that, is called Applied Energistics.

I'm also curios what that thing next to the "importbus pipe thing" is.

Also, love this program, but for 1.5.2 it needs some more stuff as mentioned earlier, a chunk loader turtle to follow (if radius is increased in config, else you need 2)

#17 unobtanium

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:00 AM

Next to the importbus pipe is the ME drive if i am not wrong. It accually is all from the allready mentioned Applied Energistics mod, which makes storing your items very effective in a small area of space.
If you dont have Applied Energistics installed, you can put a Redstone Energy Cell next to an Autarchtic Gate and it will dump items out in notime, depending on how high you set the Redstone Energy Cell Output.

#18 LazyNub

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

CrissHill, on 31 May 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

I'm not sure if you noticed but you're gonna need 4 turtles for this to work in the future. Chunkloaders no longer are crafted with the wireless modem.

You need:

Wireless mining turtle

Thats sad news.. staying with 1.4.7 seems more and more a better idea to me. heh

Anyone know if engineering turtles can place chunk loaders? They could place one
down at the start then just before exiting the range place a second down and go pick
up the first and repeat this.. Just depends if they can drop and activate them I guess.

That or just have a third chunkloader turtle tag along behind hehe Rename it the 3 stooges
hehe Or 3 musketeers ;)

#19 psyestorm

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

CrissHill, on 31 May 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

You need:

Wireless mining turtle

I'm working on a more elegant solution. Updates later this week.

#20 Niseg

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

Very nice setup . I think you can give up the complicated msg sending and pulse signal on the back of the mining turtle to make the back turtle understand what to do . it still complicates things a bit

I think there is a single turtle approach that can be taken but it would limit the mining area . You can use energy conduits which can be broken with a pick without side effects .you can make it mine a larger area if you can make it handle multiple conduit slots (shouldn't be hard)

edit: fixed and debugged the script - seems to work, may need some tweeks
This is a simple code snippet that does this
local miningwell=1
local chest=2
local conduit=3

for j=1,30 do

for i=1,30 do

turtle.select(miningwell)
turtle.placeDown()
turtle.back()
turtle.select(chest)
turtle.placeDown()
turtle.select(conduit)
turtle.place()
sleep(5) --don't remember how long
turtle.select(chest)
turtle.digDown()
turtle.down()
turtle.select(miningwell)
turtle.dig()
turtle.up()

end
turtle.select(conduit)
--- retract the conduits might need another approach
while turtle.detect() do  turtle.dig(); turtle.forward(); end;

turtle.turnLeft()
turtle.back()
turtle.placeDown()
turtle.turnRight()
turtle.back()
turtle.place()
turtle.back()
turtle.place()
end
http://pastebin.com/UxCywPyS

notes:
retracts pipe at 1:21
next line setup at ~1:48

edit : doh I was watching a stream when recording this so I deleted the audio and reuploaded it

edit2: changed the script to default 10 second sleep and take sleep time as first parameter (only updated in pastebin) .
I tested a low tech setup with 5 magmatic engines fed by waterproof pipes and using gold conductive pipes and it seem to work but energy propegation is slower in gold pipe . the 5 engines provide 20/mj which seem to give the turtle enough time to retract the pipe .

edit3: Don't use gold conductive pipes the turtle destroys them :(/>/>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users