Snap and Box - The dynamic duo of mining turtles - Expandable mining well quarry without frames

turtle wireless

71 replies to this topic

#61 Moosolini

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Hey, this program is great! I'd honestly still prefer Frame Quarries since they're more efficient energy-wise (i.e., you can use Power Converters and a Liquid Tesseract instead), but with the absence of RP2 in 1.5+, this program fills the void quite nicely.

FYI, using shiny metal isn't required. With OpenPeripherals you can just use the Tesseract as a peripheral and use setFrequency(). More info can be found here.

#62 REMNANSE

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

There seams to be a fixed timer for how long the well runs for. This is great but for higher placements of the turtles say 80-100+ from bedrock the timer is too short and they miss a whole bunch of materials near bedrock. Consequently this is where diamonds are! Would it be possible to add in a question as to the turtles height when first running the program as to change this timer. Maybe just ask whether the delay should be short (eg only mining diamond level) normal or high (eg 130ish).

The only problems with stopping I have encountered are when snap and box seam to be one brick apart and have blank screens on one or both of them. I assume this is somehow due to charging themselves not working. For those who are having this issue and maybe others as well you can manually refuel the turtles with a ridiculous amount of fuel before running the program and you shouldn't have to worry about them for many days/weeks.

I have used frame breakers and frame quarries and have managed to crash the server with them quite a few times, sometimes permanently. This method of mining has not had nearly any impact on performance of the server since it is so simple and the only blocks that move are the turtles themselves which seam to have better/safer code.

Such an awesome program thanks heaps!

#63 danny1992

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

i have a problem i download programs for snap and box and after 1 block of movement snap and box are completly stuck donșt move donșt do anything if is a newer version please let links to them becouse i don't have internet conection on my pc becouse i am at my grandparents and i use only from mobile i realy like the program :D keep working on it

#64 Its_MaGiiK

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

I love it already but do you think there is a way you could have more than 1 snap per box?

#65 dybukk

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Great turtle program. Love the auto update and resume functionality.

I had a couple of issues. The first was the blanket 5 secs sleep to wait for mining. With lots of things requiring power all the time this often wouldn't be enough. So I updated the code to sleep for 5 seconds then check the number of items in the inventory. If it was still changing give it a bit more time. Here are the code changes

231a232,248
> function getInventoryCount()
>	 local count=0
>	 for i=1,16 do
>		 count = count +turtle.getItemCount(i)
>	 end
>	 return count
> end
>
> function waitForMining()
>	local count = getInventoryCount()
>	sleep(5)
>	while (count ~= getInventoryCount()) do
>	  count = getInventoryCount()
>	  sleep(2)
>	end
> end
>
375a393,395
>		 setNextStep("waitformining")
>	 elseif nextStep=="waitformining" then
>		 waitForMining()
377d396
<		 sleep(settings["miningTime"])

Also on resuming I noticed that sometimes if the chunk had been unloading as the turtles were moving there would be a gap between snap and box and it would be stuck. A bit hacky but I added a turtle.forward() to the beginning of snap.

Dybuk

#66 kreezxil

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBowie, TX

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

You left the updated pastebins out of your main post. Can you add them please. :)

#67 SuperZorro

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:31 AM

View Postkreezxil, on 09 September 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

You left the updated pastebins out of your main post. Can you add them please. :)
They are in the video he made, I used it yesterday. I'm at work now, so can't type them for you.

Oh, and thanks for a great program psyestorm!

#68 cormoo

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

IS there any way to use this with 1.6.4 and TE3? I have tried to use it with the new tesseracts and it does not work. Two things seem to be happening, 1) the tesseract is not powering the mining well when next to it, 2) the crescent engineering turtle does not pick up the tesseract and have it retain its settings. With the new TE3 tesseracts shiny metal does not keep the settings for the tesseract anymore.

#69 civilwargeeky

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

View Postcormoo, on 20 December 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

IS there any way to use this with 1.6.4 and TE3? I have tried to use it with the new tesseracts and it does not work. Two things seem to be happening, 1) the tesseract is not powering the mining well when next to it, 2) the crescent engineering turtle does not pick up the tesseract and have it retain its settings. With the new TE3 tesseracts shiny metal does not keep the settings for the tesseract anymore.
Don't quote me on this, but I think that tesseracts saving settings hasn't been implemented yet, and tesseracts will only transfer Redstone Flux, while the mining well needs MJ. You could verify these yourself if you want.

#70 Gallade785

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:29 AM

Can you make this program to work without enderchest, but with 2 teseracts: to object and energy? Sorry for my English-I am a Russian...

#71 Jim

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Locationtekkit.craftersland.net:25567

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

Very well done. I wanted to see a program like this! The code is nifty and well done. Nice :)

#72 Yarillo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

I've been watching the counter on that thread for a while and it seems like it is still being downloaded quite a bit even though the program is outdated and won't work on modern modpacks.

It is a very good program, but wrench turtles have been deprecated for a while now.

I entirely coded the program again to make it more efficient and up to date with the current versions, now that tesseracts can be picked up without a wrench and everything.

http://www.computerc...-box-revisited/

Edited by Yarillo, 12 January 2016 - 10:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users