[Question] Is there is anyway to provide such functionality?

computer utility

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ZetaNeta_*

• Guests

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

I have recently suggested this: http://www.computerc.../13207-execbin/
They sad i "need some help". (You understand the meaning)
All i want is that instead of CraftOS, when a computer is started a binary/script is started on my server and output of the script will get back to the screen of the computer.
Preferably if this feature will provide ID as a argument.

Any mod out there providing this? Or maybe some hidden setting? Or just something to be edited in code?
Or anything at all can be done to "current" CC in a way allowing this?

I was thinking of giving QEMU (Virtual Machine) (NO, i am not crazy) low powered instances to some very elite donators.
And i think i could write a bash wrapper for qemu checking the donator DB, computer ID and many other stuff.

#2 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

If you really want to be able to execute scripts on your computer, it will never happen directly through ComputerCraft. You could set up a localhost webserver using XAMPP (or a similar server) and have a script that constantly polls the webpage and executes any commands given to it. It's not very efficient, but it's the best I think you can hope for.

I personally see no reason why you would need to do things externally from ComputerCraft, but there are just too many security holes that come with such a thing for it to ever be added intentionally into the mod, whether for "elite donators" or otherwise.

#3 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

You realize the point of computercraft is to A) Be ingame, and B) Use lua? This does neither.

#4 Dlcruz129

What's a Lua?

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, as stated above, host a PHP script on XAMPP.

#5 Hawk777

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

HTTP API to talk to a Web server is one possible solution to communicating with the outside world. Another, which I invented before ComputerCraft had an HTTP API, is that you have the CC computer write to a file on its hard drive and then you have a dæmon running that watches for files being created and modified using inotify.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users