Vanilla Maps On Monitors/Satellite Turtle

15 replies to this topic

#1 SmirkNMerc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

This idea grew the more I thought about it so I'll start at the beginning. I'd love to be able to have a way for vanilla maps to be scanned in (maybe thru a scanner peripheral perhaps ?) and then have that map display on an advanced monitor. Also it would be great to have a satellite or cartographer turtle that is able to be sent to a location and draw a map. I'm guessing those ideas could be broken down individually.

Scanner Peripheral.
This could be expanded to have other functions as well but for this ideas purposes it needs to:

• be able to scan vanilla maps and keep data regarding the scale.

• create map files that can be linked together to provide scaling and scrolling capability. For instance if I create several maps of an area and an additional one at the large scale of the same area covered in the set of maps.

Map Display API
Needs to be able to:

• handle the map files the scanner or turtle creates and display them on advanced monitors.

• handle the map relations from the last section. Should be created/edited here as well.

• overlaying data or graphics on the map to create GUIs or displays.

• make the map handling editing via the GUI easy.

• have a way to make way points on the map. If this could use the waypoints created by Rei's Minimap that would be great.

Satellite/Cartographer Turtle(can't decide on the name, maybe map turtle since its short and sweet)

• Needs to be able to make maps at varying sizes or scales. I'm guessing we need to know how many blocks are covered within each map size.

• Make identifying resources and points of interest easier. (e.g. finding oil wells, villages, temples, volcanos, etc...)

• Creates waypoints for things its told to search for.

Here are a few things I imagine this could be used for:

• Making a navigation computer. Create an map displayed on an advanced monitor and select your destination for transportation via other mods.

• Making a computer to monitor a train system

• Controlling a turtle mining system visually. Draw a box overlay on a map to designate an area for a turtle to mine.

• Use it for planing large scale project and to monitor the progress. First send out map turtles to plan and plot. Then draw on areas you want other turtles to goto in order to build and/or mine.

• Security/alert system that displays what areas have been compromised.

• Combine the map functionality with a mod like OpenCCSensors that can overlay data to actively surveil areas.

• Possibilities are vast.

These are just a few ideas that I think would be great. I however don't possess the skill to create something like this but nonetheless I'd love to see it and would assist/advise anyone who'd like to create this.

#2 Jarle212

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

Some of these fetures breaks the forth wall, and the Display API can people make themselvs.

#3 M4sh3dP0t4t03

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:20 AM

Won't happen. But maybe someone can make a peripheral to do this.

#4 ironwiccan

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

I like the idea with the rails. I'm all the time losing carts and some times they have important stuff so I have to walk miles of track to find my carts. Some times it ends badly when I need to go up on my High Speed rails, because they average about 130 blocks high and when a cart hits you at those speeds, its not pretty with no where to go.

#5 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

After readin the title, I have to think of Transformers 2 LOL :D

#6 computercraftprogrammer

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Location$house->Earth->MilkyWay->Universe;

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:10 AM

I think a scanner peripheral should be added though. A way to scan pages.

#7 M4sh3dP0t4t03

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:01 AM

Sure it would be nice to have the scanner, but the Satellite/Cartographer Turtle won't be happening. The devs said often enough that turtles will stay blind forever

#8 Sebra

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

If developers will add Satellites it would be good as a cartographers. But it seems Satellites are not wanted by developers.

#9 JustPingo

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostKingOfNoobs, on 10 June 2013 - 07:01 AM, said:

Sure it would be nice to have the scanner, but the Satellite/Cartographer Turtle won't be happening. The devs said often enough that turtles will stay blind forever

Mojang said that 1.0.0 will be the final.

I think the scanner is absolutly needed.
For the turtle satellite, I think a turtle is not the best object to play the satellite. However, a cross-over peripheral with GalactiCraft can be so cool to do that !

#10 Tiin57

Java Lunatic

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

View Postpingoleon60, on 10 June 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

What does that have to do with anything?
Also, when did they say that?

#11 MaHuJa

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

View Posttiin57, on 10 June 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

What does that have to do with anything?

I'm guessing he's referring to people changing their minds.

#12 aaa

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Cartographer should be done manually, with the tools we already have, that's quite challenging. sure satellites won't happen. Even for open sensor, it's OP. But combining such scanner and carts, we could do about all a satellite can do.

#13 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:32 AM

No they didn't.

#14 steel_toed_boot

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

there isn't enough pixels on the CC monitors to show the entire map. you would be scrolling non-stop.

#15 nutcase84

• Members
  • 711 posts
  • LocationIn My Lonely Little Computer Corner

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

View Poststeel_toed_boot, on 20 July 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

there isn't enough pixels on the CC monitors to show the entire map. you would be scrolling non-stop.

Idk if your including mon.setSize or whatever. (Can't remember what it's called)

#16 Dlcruz129

What's a Lua?

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

View Postnutcase84, on 22 July 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

View Poststeel_toed_boot, on 20 July 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

Idk if your including mon.setSize or whatever. (Can't remember what it's called)

mon.setTextScale(num scale)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users