E3 Discussion Topic

31 replies to this topic

#1 Shazz

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

Since E3 is happening right now, a lot of new games and such are being announced.
What are you looking forward to the most?
You can also discuss anything regarding E3 and the games/platforms that were revealed on this topic.

I personally am looking forward to the PS4. They saw the consumers' response to the Xbox One, and decided to not follow their path. I think this is good that there is still some hope in the gaming industry.
I'm also looking forward to Battlefield 4 for the PC, especially with the Commander Mode returning.
Also, FIFA 14 looks interesting, I might get it for the PS3 or PS4 if I get one.

#2 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

New smash bros looks amazing, and I was excited for the AC Villager and Megaman joining the party. Mario Kart 8 looks amazing too, especially the whole "anti-gravity" thing they had going on. The new Mario adventure game thing didn't look all that hot though; it just looked like Super Mario 3D land.

The Wonderful 101 seems like a really interesting concept and I'll definitely consider getting it once it comes out.

#3 M4sh3dP0t4t03

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

In like the PS4 and the games for it. I will probably get one. I also like battlefield 4.

#4 ETHANATOR360

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationyour hardrive

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostKingdaro, on 11 June 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

New smash bros looks amazing, and I was excited for the AC Villager and Megaman joining the party. Mario Kart 8 looks amazing too, especially the whole "anti-gravity" thing they had going on. The new Mario adventure game thing didn't look all that hot though; it just looked like Super Mario 3D land.

The Wonderful 101 seems like a really interesting concept and I'll definitely consider getting it once it comes out.
cant wait for smash bros for 3ds might give me a reason to start playing with my 3ds again

#5 The_Awe35

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • LocationNerdfightaria Island

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

I was disappointed with the Xbox One. It doesn't seem like they are adding much, just more restricting. I have an Xbox, but I think i'd sooner buy a PS4. I was thinking of just doing PC gaming anyway.

#6 Shazz

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostThe_Awe35, on 12 June 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

I was disappointed with the Xbox One. It doesn't seem like they are adding much, just more restricting. I have an Xbox, but I think i'd sooner buy a PS4. I was thinking of just doing PC gaming anyway.

Yeah, a lot of people are going to switch to the PS4 from what I've seen so far.
And yeah, the new Super Smash Bros actually looks pretty good.

#7 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

Am I the only one excited for the XBone?
I like the new features, and I don't share games with my friends because I hate them.

#8 M4sh3dP0t4t03

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostCranium, on 13 June 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

I like the new features, and I don't share games with my friends because I hate them.
WTF? It's looking in your living room 24/7, you have to pay 100$ more, it is less powerful, you need to connect to the internet at least every 24h, you can only buy it in 21 countrys and you can't play games that you bought in another country. Why would you want to get all that disadvantages?

#9 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Enjoy your "not really a console but hey you can watch TV on it!"

#10 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

xbox one = impenetrable tank of DRM holding games you like hostage
PS3 ftw

#11 Mackan90096

• Signature Abuser
  • 518 posts
  • LocationIn my basement.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostKingOfNoobs, on 13 June 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

WTF? It's looking in your living room 24/7, you have to pay 100$ more, it is less powerful, you need to connect to the internet at least every 24h, you can only buy it in 21 countrys and you can't play games that you bought in another country. Why would you want to get all that disadvantages?

I don't like the xbox one of what I've heard.

I'm gonna stick with my 360.

#12 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

This competition between Xbox and PlayStation is silly to me. I do like the PS more just because you dont have to stay connected to the internet.

But the hardware on both consoles is pretty bad.. I presume that they last for about 2 years and then you cannot use it anymore.

I have a xbox 360, and I like it. But MicroSoft is being greedy again and puts restrictions if you dont pay for it.

So in short: Im staying right here on my semi-powerful laptop

#13 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

Putting aside my strong opinions on the Xbox One (and the criticisms garnered by a lot of people on the internet), I'm very excited for the new Kinect. Then 90 seconds of footage shown at the unveiling showed higher precision, finger joints at long last, orientation information on body limbs, better integration of Fusion and solved a lot of the issues with body occlusion that plague me to this day. I'll need to have it in my hands to know for sure but it looks like an amazing device, and as an academic I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a development kit.

#14 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

View Postnitrogenfingers, on 14 June 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

showed higher precision, finger joints at long last, orientation information on body limbs
Didn't it "have that" back when it was Project Natal?

#15 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

Not that I recall- you'd need to source me to clarify that.

Obviously it couldn't have higher precision as it didn't exist yet, but this video is a nice demonstration on how the sensors has evolved from the original, which you'll appreciate if you're done any dev with the Kinect:

I never remember finger joints being advertised with Natal, possibly they were removed due to technical constraints which is fair enough- try accurately doing a feature analysis of someone's hand orientation and finger position on a 640x480 camera! They've added what appears to be finger tips and a thumb bone to the original hand and wrist bone.

Detecting hands is really hard, but people are coming up with great solutions to it. Just check this wearable device out from Microsoft Research, Cambridge:
http://research.micr...rojects/digits/

Or this device that measures electrical conductivity in your muscles to determine ligament tensions and ultimately hand gestures:

A staged video but quite a cool one.

It's very in vogue right now to lay into Microsoft for recent marketing decisions, but not being a consumer I'm more excited by the technology. Though I still see some the tracking issues the original Kinect suffers from, it's exciting stuff :)

#16 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

View Postnitrogenfingers, on 14 June 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

Not that I recall- you'd need to source me to clarify that.

Obviously it couldn't have higher precision as it didn't exist yet, but this video is a nice demonstration on how the sensors has evolved from the original, which you'll appreciate if you're done any dev with the Kinect:
Spoiler
Wow that is truly brilliant! I'll see if I can try find the video I remember watching nearly 4 years ago with the Natal info. Hopefully it hasn't been taken down.

View Postnitrogenfingers, on 14 June 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

Or this device that measures electrical conductivity in your muscles to determine ligament tensions and ultimately hand gestures:
Spoiler
A staged video but quite a cool one.

It's very in vogue right now to lay into Microsoft for recent marketing decisions, but not being a consumer I'm more excited by the technology. Though I still see some the tracking issues the original Kinect suffers from, it's exciting stuff :)
Yeh I saw this one in a lecture I had at uni about upcoming tech, it was brilliant! The lecturer showed this, Google Glass, the possibilities of our technology with the graphene battery, and another one similar to the tech in this video but it was a gesture/motion control for the computer that set on the desk and detected, hand arm and digits, was about $80 to buy, wish I could remember the name.

#17 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 14 June 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

The lecturer showed this, Google Glass, the possibilities of our technology with the graphene battery, and another one similar to the tech in this video but it was a gesture/motion control for the computer that set on the desk and detected, hand arm and digits, was about $80 to buy, wish I could remember the name.

You might be thinking of the Leap Motion, a desk-mounted IR device that is able to capture digits in high precision?

Ah but this is all off topic of E3, but interface tech is getting better and better, and it's great to see it might finally be seeing a positive impact on the games we play and love. I'm not sure Minecraft will benefit from arm flailing but games with a dynamic data model supporting non-discrete interaction (I'm thinking things like terrain sculpting) could be really interesting to play :)

#18 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

View Postnitrogenfingers, on 14 June 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

You might be thinking of the Leap Motion, a desk-mounted IR device that is able to capture digits in high precision?
*Googles* yeh thats the one! :D

#19 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

As always, a well written response, Nitrogenfinger.

That's what I'm mostly excited for, as well as the switching between apps so easily. I like the three layer OS they have for the new Xbox. That's one feature that really stuck out to me.
It's also nice to see the voice recognition getting an upgrade. Now I won't sound like a robot trying to talk to my games.
Yes, I understand the stupid issues with DRM and the such, but it's obvious that Microsoft is going to backpedal hard on that one. Nobody in their right mind alienates their customer base in such a maneuver.
If Microsoft continues with the DRM, I'd like to see is that each game is able to be shared. This can be done with a public key you can give your friends. This public key can be per user, per game, so that each user has their own public key, but can only loan a game to a few people. A private key could be bought as well, for those who have tried the game, but want to purchase it for themselves. Buying a disc would of course be more expensive, because of materials, packaging, and merchandise fees. You would be able to either download the game with the private key, or if you wish, you can buy the disc with the private key included.
The DRM lockdown that they are doing will definitely need some work before consumers are happy, but I'm really excited to see what kind of games are coming out for the new console. Imagine horror games when it can measure your heartbeat...

#20 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostCranium, on 14 June 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

Imagine horror games when it can measure your heartbeat...

Hadn't even thought about the possibilities of affective computer games, but all that information is there! Many, many more possibilities for producing experiences the device can understand and react to, which could lead to some really exciting content.

Another aside but this is something really cool and worth checking on in a similar area- it's called Throw Trucks with your Mind:

I couldn't help but try and calm and focus myself just watching this video, and I love how the game places you in situations that affects your emotions and demand you to overcome them to be successful. Trying to be calm while walking off a cliff, or stay focussed when bombarded with the stimuli of jumping at high speeds.

For those interested in affective computing, this is a very exciting time for gaming :D But I'm done derailing this forum topic for now

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users