TorVerse - A Work In Progress

68 replies to this topic

#61 Zambonie

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationSpring Hill, Fl

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Seems really impresive! I'm just getting a error where it times out the client when starting it. There a way to fix his?
(Btw, this is my 200'th post!)

#62 TorakTu

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostHellkid98, on 07 July 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

When you've logged into the server.. Can you do something else than chatting?

As I mentioned on my website, its just a chat program for now.

View PostTroll., on 07 July 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Seems really impresive! I'm just getting a error where it times out the client when starting it. There a way to fix his?
(Btw, this is my 200'th post!)

are you running the server first and then the client on windows ? Did you install the included DirectX 9 ( its the included dxwebsetup.exe file ) and are the two included DLLs in the same folder as each program ? Even though you can run both files in the same folder, its best you put each one in their own folder. And copy the DLLs into each folder as well.

#63 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

May get round to loading this up sometime.

If you ever need any help programming I'm fine to help.
Never used Dark Basic, but I can use Visual Basic and I've very briefly read a book on Dark Basic.
(Learning VB wasn't my choice, but I made a very basic game in windows forms. It had enemies and wall collisions and scoring and all that Jazz)

#64 TorakTu

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

View PostPharap, on 08 July 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

Never used Dark Basic, but I can use Visual Basic and I've very briefly read a book on Dark Basic.
(Learning VB wasn't my choice, but I made a very basic game in windows forms. It had enemies and wall collisions and scoring and all that Jazz)

Actually, I am slowly porting my code to JAVA. So if you know JAVA and OpenGL then making a game is a lot simpler then writing it in C++.

#65 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:07 AM

View PostTorakTu, on 08 July 2013 - 02:39 AM, said:

Actually, I am slowly porting my code to JAVA. So if you know JAVA and OpenGL then making a game is a lot simpler then writing it in C++.

As I've mentioned many times before in these forums: me and Java do not get on.
I agree that C++ can be hell though. It's all those typedefs and defines that really make it annoying.
I'll never understand why people feel the need to typedef an int as something else. An int is an int - a 32bit signed integer, why hide it?

If you decide to use C# instead of Java I could be more helpful, but if it's Java, I'd have more luck programming it with butterflies.

#66 TorakTu

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:24 AM

View PostPharap, on 08 July 2013 - 03:07 AM, said:

View PostTorakTu, on 08 July 2013 - 02:39 AM, said:

I agree that C++ can be hell though. It's all those typedefs and defines that really make it annoying.
I'll never understand why people feel the need to typedef an int as something else. An int is an int - a 32bit signed integer, why hide it?

If you decide to use C# instead of Java I could be more helpful, but if it's Java, I'd have more luck programming it with butterflies.

Not sure why you would choose C# over JAVA. Both run off of a VM and both syntex are similar in nature. Difference is, JAVA is true cross-platform where C# is not because Microsoft's latest DotNetFrameWork doesn't work on Linux, MAC, Andriod, or iPad. I'll stick with JAVA. But thanks for the offer though.

#67 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:44 AM

View PostTorakTu, on 08 July 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

Not sure why you would choose C# over JAVA. Both run off of a VM and both syntex are similar in nature. Difference is, JAVA is true cross-platform where C# is not because Microsoft's latest DotNetFrameWork doesn't work on Linux, MAC, Andriod, or iPad. I'll stick with JAVA. But thanks for the offer though.

Funny you say that, I just got back from writing a post about why I don't get on with Java.
In short, there are a lot of features I like that it doesn't have, like events, delegates and unsigned integers.
(There's a full list here -> https://en.wikipedia..._Sharp_and_Java)
The non-crossplatformness doesn't bother me because I don't own any of those other devices and I've never made a program that was big enough to need cross platform support.

#68 TorakTu

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

View PostPharap, on 08 July 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

View PostTorakTu, on 08 July 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

Funny you say that, I just got back from writing a post about why I don't get on with Java.
In short, there are a lot of features I like that it doesn't have, like events, delegates and unsigned integers.
(There's a full list here -> https://en.wikipedia..._Sharp_and_Java)
The non-crossplatformness doesn't bother me because I don't own any of those other devices and I've never made a program that was big enough to need cross platform support.

Yea, JAVA is not that strict. And its getting better all the time. More and More indie game developers are using it now.

#69 TorakTu

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:00 AM

Moderators can close this thread. I haven't stopped work on my game. I'm just lacking the time to keep posting here. So if I do not respond to you, well you been forewarned.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users