MGRUB - Bootloader

utility lua

11 replies to this topic

#1 xMAC94x

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

MGRUB - Bootloader

Testing multiple Operations Systems ? With this Bootloader it's very easy to have all of them on the same computer.

You can set your default operating system and that's it :)

Why do i need it ?

You don't need to install this Program unless you want to have multiple operating systems

on the same computer and you don't want to change your "startup" file all the time

What does it do ?

It starts itself and then you can chose an other OS to start

or it will start the default one after a timeout

How does it do that ?

You put the Bootloader as startup and all operating system files in the MGRUB folder.

Rename a operating startupfile to a name you want, e.g "os1" and create a file called "os1.mgrub"

This file containes all information about the OS, like this

name marcelOS
owner Marcel_Maertens_http://marcelmaertens.funpic.de
lastboot 10.47
bootcount 6103
bootfile marcelOS

That's all ?

Nope, you can edit the settings file to define your default OS, a timeout and a timeout after you pressed enter.

It also adds an boot api to send Boot Messages to the term with time and they get saved in MGRUB/boot.info

Now that's all ?

Yep, it's as simple, it's just a basic Bootloader.

Screenshot?

Posted Image

Download ?

pastebin get R82saNU1

You can donwload MGRUB here.

It's currently the default Bootloader of marcelOS and integrated in that download.

Changelog

Spoiler

License?

GPL v.2

Fell free to change everything, include it in your Programs or do whatever ;)

#2 thegreatstudio

• Banned
  • 164 posts
  • LocationI am on your computer

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Nice dude!! We can now use multiple os!! :P lame

#3 Zudo

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Good work!

#4 scheurneus

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Cool!!!
At least run WolfOS, LabyOS, marcelOS and craftOS at the same time!

#5 Mitchfizz05

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Hmm... you've just given me an idea that I might attempt... probably fail though, but I'll see how I go.

#6 xMAC94x

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Version 0.98.4 released.
- Bugfix and improvment, see Changelog

View Postmitchfizz05, on 08 July 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Hmm... you've just given me an idea that I might attempt... probably fail though, but I'll see how I go.

Good luck :)

View Postscheurneus, on 07 July 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Cool!!!
At least run WolfOS, LabyOS, marcelOS and craftOS at the same time!

I fixed the description. You can use them on the same PC, not at the same time..
But you inspired me to add more default Operating Systems... MGRUB will now automaticly detect if an operating System is installed and will enabled this option... See Changelog.

#7 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:32 AM

Why is my code in here without my permission?

#8 xMAC94x

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

View Posttoxicwolf, on 10 July 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

Sorry, my fault. I didn't noticed the PM you sent me, and since your program is on github and i didn't found any license i suspected it to be open source...
Of cource i deleted all your code in this program.

#9 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostxMAC94x, on 10 July 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

View Posttoxicwolf, on 10 July 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

Sorry, my fault. I didn't noticed the PM you sent me, and since your program is on github and i didn't found any license i suspected it to be open source...
Of cource i deleted all your code in this program.
Thank you very much :) Wasn't trying to act pissy or anything, just like permission to be given. Also, to everyone else; I denied permission because the code is dead. No point supporting an unnsupported (by the author) OS. WolfOS 2.0.0 is on it's way.

On topic:
How does this bootloader work? Does it replace BIOS or is it just a startup file?

#10 xMAC94x

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

View Posttoxicwolf, on 10 July 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

On topic:
How does this bootloader work? Does it replace BIOS or is it just a startup file?

Most Operating Systems override the startup file and then load a lot of other files (e.g. in an folder called "someOS/startup" ).
So most Operating systems boot in this order
-> cc bios -> startup file -> a lot of internal files.

The MGRUB Bootloader will NOT replace the bios, so you don't have to change any mod folders.
You have to copy the OS startup file (only this file) in the folder /MGRUB. You rename it to someOS and create a meta file called someOS.mgrub with some information, e.g. the displayed name and how to detect an OS.
then the Bootloader will replace the startup file.
So boot order is like
-> cc bios -> MGRUB Bootloader startup file -> you can choose an os / timeout -> starts the original startup file which is now in MGRUB/someOS -> the same of internal stuff as before.

So the Bootloader doesn't need to change the files itself, and this should make it easy to add your own OS to the Bootloader...

Looking forward to WolfOS 2.0.0 release :)

#11 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

View PostxMAC94x, on 10 July 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

View Posttoxicwolf, on 10 July 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

On topic:

Most Operating Systems override the startup file and then load a lot of other files (e.g. in an folder called "someOS/startup" ).
So most Operating systems boot in this order
-> cc bios -> startup file -> a lot of internal files.

The MGRUB Bootloader will NOT replace the bios, so you don't have to change any mod folders.
You have to copy the OS startup file (only this file) in the folder /MGRUB. You rename it to someOS and create a meta file called someOS.mgrub with some information, e.g. the displayed name and how to detect an OS.
then the Bootloader will replace the startup file.
So boot order is like
-> cc bios -> MGRUB Bootloader startup file -> you can choose an os / timeout -> starts the original startup file which is now in MGRUB/someOS -> the same of internal stuff as before.

So the Bootloader doesn't need to change the files itself, and this should make it easy to add your own OS to the Bootloader...

Looking forward to WolfOS 2.0.0 release :)
I thought as much ;) The trouble is although WolfOS 1.x.x was just a startup file, I have designed WolfOS 2.x.x around a system that requires a custom bios. This custom bios doesn't actually do anything related to WolfOS, just acts as a bootloader, meaning that OSs loaded by it aren't limited by CC's global namespace lockdown, and the global namespace also won't be cluttered with CC related stuff.

Will the new way to modify the Lua files using resource pack in the new beta, it doesn't seem possible to replace the bios file. If this is the case, I guess I will just have to give in and redesign the internals of WolfOS again. Which, if I do, would probably make it compatible with this system.

/ramblings

#12 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Shouldn't it just be MRUB? It's not really GNU related.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users