How to make and install Lua resource packs

73 replies to this topic

#21 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Simple question:

Does this mean that if we want to write our own OS/bios we still have to edit the mod Jar or will creating an assets/computercraft/lua/bios.lua in the resourcepacks directory automatically override the one in the computercraft mod jar? (The latter would be nicer to work with)

View Postdent308, on 12 July 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

What about being able to edit in the rom folder? Unzip - edit - rezip seems really clunky for hacking / testing.
You don't have to unzip zip files to edit them.
Windows will allow you to view zips in the default document browser.

There are also versions of p7-Zip for most OS versions: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
In which case you just drag the files out of the 7-Zip window and into your OS's regular file browser.

View PostElvishJerricco, on 13 July 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

View PostPixelToast, on 12 July 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

not what i meant, i want to edit all the files in as single folder (how it used to be) without having to shutdown / rezip anything ;_;

Oh right. Yea I posted in the suggestions about that. I wrote a script to do all that work for me but it takes time to reboot the game entirely. Really messes with my workflow.

It'll be fine once CCemu updates.
Or that new one that was made recently with the extra features (forgot its name)

#22 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostPharap, on 14 July 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

It'll be fine once CCemu updates.
Never going to happen, the project was abandoned in light of CCDesk.

Or that new one that was made recently with the extra features (forgot its name)
CCDesk

#23 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 14 July 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

View PostGalactica4, on 14 July 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

This is going to damage people's workflow
Not at all. This change, makes no difference to how peoples workflow would need to be set up.
nope
me and many others work from the ROM
have you read the posts?

im going to stay at 1.5.2 due to the combination of the new launcher (wich i dont like) and this specifically

#24 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostPixelToast, on 14 July 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

People who are working from the rom are doing their workspace wrong then. Yes that includes you. There is only one time that you would need to directly access and/or modify the files in rom, and that is if you're making a real OS. Short of that, use the `saves` folder, and that is no broken workspace.

#25 ElvishJerricco

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 14 July 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

People who are working from the rom are doing their workspace wrong then. Yes that includes you. There is only one time that you would need to directly access and/or modify the files in rom, and that is if you're making a real OS. Short of that, use the `saves` folder, and that is no broken workspace.

I don't like this philosophy. I could say that if you want to do green screening, you're doing it wrong and you should shoot your footage on a real set. My point is, some people actually want to mess with the rom. CC's new resource pack features were supposed to make that easier. They've made it harder. They've taken the workflow others had for editing rom, and made it useless. As great as the idea for using resource packs is, it's not currently being handled well.

#26 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

View PostElvishJerricco, on 14 July 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

I don't like this philosophy. I could say that if you want to do green screening, you're doing it wrong and you should shoot your footage on a real set. My point is, some people actually want to mess with the rom. CC's new resource pack features were supposed to make that easier. They've made it harder. They've taken the workflow others had for editing rom, and made it useless. As great as the idea for using resource packs is, it's not currently being handled well.

I agree with this. Although I haven't had to edit the rom myself, I can definitely see how having to restart Minecraft and re-zipping the resource pack would be an absolute pain for those wanting to frequently edit the rom. I could also see how placing all your files in the rom instead of on individual computers is beneficial to workflow, no need to worry about which computer you click on or place, they all have the files.

#27 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:47 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 14 July 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

View PostPixelToast, on 14 July 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

why are you assuming the saves folder is correct and the rom is wrong without giving any reasoning besides "its broken" and "you dont have to"
there have been multiple cases ive had to modify the ROM (including default programs)
and it makes it much much much more easy to test because the programs are available on every computer
the saves folder is hard to use because i have to get the computers id, copy the program to it, edit it, i have to keep switching between the saves folder and the folder where i keep all my programs and it gets messy and hard to work

#28 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Simple question:

Does this mean that if we want to write our own OS/bios we still have to edit the mod Jar or will creating an assets/computercraft/lua/bios.lua in the resourcepacks directory automatically override the one in the computercraft mod jar? (The latter would be nicer to work with)
This is a question that never seems to get answered ever since this change; and something that I would really like to know.

#29 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

Well, to those complaining about the fact that they edit the ROM, you seem to be forgetting one major thing: That anything you accomplish by editing the ROM can be done by making your own files anyway. You just overwrite whatever functions you deem necessary, and any program can do that.

I have never had any reason to write over anything in ROM unless I had a program that I wanted accessable via all computers on the server.

#30 ElvishJerricco

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostCranium, on 15 July 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

Well, to those complaining about the fact that they edit the ROM, you seem to be forgetting one major thing: That anything you accomplish by editing the ROM can be done by making your own files anyway. You just overwrite whatever functions you deem necessary, and any program can do that.

I have never had any reason to write over anything in ROM unless I had a program that I wanted accessable via all computers on the server.

I'll go back to my green screen metaphor: You don't have to use a green screen when you can just shoot on a real set!

Most people don't have to edit the rom, just like most people don't need to edit the linux kernel. But some people want to. And there's a lot of work done to make editing the linux kernel easier. And either way, there's many reasons to edit the rom. If I want to modify rednet for my whole server without requiring each computer to download a pastebin. Or if I want to add a program. Or change the way the shell looks to match my server's theme. There's a million and one reasons to edit the rom. Restricting the option to do so is just wrong, even if most people don't need it.

#31 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

I never said that there is no reason. The main reason I can see is to make programs available for all computers. However, I stand by it saying that it can all be done with self installed programs.

You can still edit programs directly via the saves folder though, and for me, that's still enough for any of my purposes.
I would however, like to be able to reload the resource pack for programs/rom folders without having to restart minecraft. That is going to be annoying for when I do need to edit the ROM.

#32 BlockDriller

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Not a bad addition. Can't wait to try this out.

#33 dent308

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

The main thing about editing files in the ROM folder is I can setup a 'project' in a proper editor or IDE and bang away at code full speed.
Editing in the saves folder is less than optimal because they move about as computers / turtles are created or destroyed.

#34 Zee

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:57 AM

And time for my OS to shine. Question about the resource packs. Can you have multiple packs running at one time? Or would you have to unzip each, merge assets and then rezip?

View Postdent308, on 17 July 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

The main thing about editing files in the ROM folder is I can setup a 'project' in a proper editor or IDE and bang away at code full speed.
Editing in the saves folder is less than optimal because they move about as computers / turtles are created or destroyed.
That's what I was thinking. Notepad++ until 5 AM. Lol.

EDIT: Mojang confirmed that they will implement multiple packs at a time. We need to unzip both, merge assets, and then zip it again right now. Damn.

#35 ElvishJerricco

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

I'm not sure if Windows can do this, but any UNIX or Linux system has symlinks. Basically like a shortcut, except the entire operating system sees it as actually being a folder. So you can create the symlink .../computer/{id} and have it point to ~/Documents/MyProject, and going to .../computer/{id}/somefolder will lead to MyProject/somefolder. So just keep the project in your documents and symlink to it in your saves.

View PostDanJZ0404, on 18 July 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

And time for my OS to shine. Question about the resource packs. Can you have multiple packs running at one time? Or would you have to unzip each, merge assets and then rezip?

EDIT: Mojang confirmed that they will implement multiple packs at a time. We need to unzip both, merge assets, and then zip it again right now. Damn.

CC does some special resource pack loading that loads all CC resources from all available resource packs. No need to merge. This custom handling is actually the main cause of the problems people have with the new resource pack compatibility.

#36 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostDanJZ0404, on 18 July 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

Dan200 has already said (I forget where) that ComputerCraft already extracts and merges all CC assets from resource packs, independent of Mojang's implementation of how resource packs are loaded.

EDIT: Ninja'd ;)

#37 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostElvishJerricco, on 18 July 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

I'm not sure if Windows can do this, but any UNIX or Linux system has symlinks. Basically like a shortcut, except the entire operating system sees it as actually being a folder. So you can create the symlink .../computer/{id} and have it point to ~/Documents/MyProject, and going to .../computer/{id}/somefolder will lead to MyProject/somefolder. So just keep the project in your documents and symlink to it in your saves.
making symlinks wouldnt help much because we would have to create them for every id we want them on, this is useful for editing all the files on computers at once but its still a pain in the ass to manage, and most people use windows / mac for minecraft

#38 ElvishJerricco

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostPixelToast, on 18 July 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

making symlinks wouldnt help much because we would have to create them for every id we want them on, this is useful for editing all the files on computers at once but its still a pain in the ass to manage, and most people use windows / mac for minecraft

Well just FYI Mac is a fully certified UNIX OS so it has all the nifty UNIX magic powers. But yea managing which computers had the symlinks was a pain but it was a really useful trick

#39 BlankWolf

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Well I have tried to add an api to the example resourcepack.
I put an "apis" folder in "rom" and my api in the "apis" folder.
But now my computers don't load. I just get a blackscreen and I can't find any error in mc luncher console.

#40 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

could you please upload the resoursepack?
did you follow the same format as the one dan uploaded?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users