Ask A Pro Renewal Project (and How You Can Help!)

115 replies to this topic

#81 LBPHacker

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

Okay. It'll remain in the Tutorials section anyway so anybody can find it. I think it's good enough for an overview.

Although I might just take that advice and make a bunch of tutorials about the term API which cover "less ground with more depth".

#82 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, that's actually one of the main goals of this project. We want a quality set of tutorials that take a relatively small but sensibly interrelated chunk of a topic and provide a good depth of information on it, especially the what-it-does and why-it-works and how-it-works parts. Then we can tie them together into a sensible progression to introduce people to new aspects of the mod with clear, correct, well-written and up to date information.

Unfortunately, I didn't sit down and spend the time to write out Computer Basics 3 this weekend. Hopefully, I'll get to that this week and then move on to some other topics.

#83 surferpup

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

I would like to tackle a few of these tutorials, as they cover areas that I have recently worked through and somewhat mastered. However, I haven't figured out how to post screen shots as you have in your first tutorial, nor have I figured out how to create anchors (clicking HERE will take you to some other tutorial or resource, where the world HERE is displayed, but it is an a href to another page). I also couldn't find resources on how to take full advantage of the forum editor. Can you point me to a resource to figure this out?

#84 surferpup

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

I have posted three new tutorials for this project.

There are two Lua Basics tutorials to discuss entry-level Lua programming concepts, which are not on the project list but I felt would be useful to supply: The first tutorial is a fairly broad kickstart to the language, and when taken with the Computer Basics 1 and Computer Basics 2 would get the average beginning programmer up and operational in Lua. I see a need for additional Lua Basics (or Lua Intermediate) tutorials treated in a similar manner for functions, tables, files, and list iteration offered under the category Lua Basics or Lua Intermediate. If there are community tutorials already in existence which cover the topics in the detail requested by the Ask-a-Pro Project Renewal specifications, perhaps they could be reclassified under either Lua Basics or Lua Intermediate for easier access.

The third tutorial I wrote is directly on the project list, satisfying the first of the Redstone Basics tutorials: Comments, suggestions and corrections are of course welcome.

Edited by surferpup, 21 January 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#85 surferpup

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

awsmazinggenius,ingie and I noticed an uptick on "how do I create a touch screen" questions. After having dealt with several of these, we discussed creating a comprehensive tutorial on the subject. I have been writing the tutorials so far, and awsmazinggenius and ingie have been making suggestions, edits and helping with testing.

The Complete Monitor Buttons and Control Tutorial, as it is called, is in four parts. Two Three of the four parts are now posted under tutorials:
  • Part I: Monitor Basics which covers attaching monitors, obtaining a monitor handle, getting size, setting scale, setting color and checking isColor, positioning text, writing text and clearing the screen. It is fairly comprehensive, although it does not cover term.redirect() -- as that has little to do with buttons and touch screens (we can add a spoiler to another tutorial to cover that quickly).
  • Part II -- Monitor Buttons is a step-by-step and very thorough treatment of creating and displaying buttons, from simple buttons all the way through creating a complete Button() closure with values and enclosed draw functionality.
  • Part III -- Monitor Touch and Other Events covers using monitor_touch events to change button states and control basic redstone output to control creations, introducing also the usage of key events for program control.
Part III will deal with monitor_touch, mouse_click and key events to read button presses, and simple rednet operations and events to control creations based on button states.

Part IV will tie everything together into a sample Monitor Touchscreen Door Control program which will be created using the code developed in Parts I-III.

The four parts of the tutorial are designed not only to cover the subject matter, but also to help take the programmer through code development strategies and teach by example better coding practices. A coder will become familiar with basic coding techniques and progress well into advanced areas (tables, functions within tables and beginning objects). The thought behind the tutorial project was to answer the question in a way where the programmer who takes the time to complete the series will become one who not only asks good questions, but is able to answer questions as well.

Please add the tutorials to the ask-a-pro renewal project. If you feel inclined, please direct feedback, error reports or editorial thoughts to surferpup

Edited by surferpup, 16 February 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#86 surferpup

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:14 PM

Just added Part III -- Monitor Touch and Other Events of the Complete Monitor Buttons and Control Tutorial.

Edited by surferpup, 16 February 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#87 manu3d

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBasel, Switzerland

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

I don't mean to break the wonderful flow of tutorials that is originating from this thread, but going back to the original issue of signal-to-noise ratio, I noticed that some posters on the forum make very poor use of the quoting facility. Specifically, they quote whole messages when a snippet would be enough or they nest quotes within quotes within quotes when it is maybe unnecessary. Perhaps it'd be worth to mention -somewhere- and enforce through moderation a couple of guidelines: 1) quote the least you can - a good rule of thumb is: quoted text should be no more than 30% of your post 2) avoid nesting quotes when possible.

On a separate subject, I'm noticing the link to tutorials posted in this thread often (always?) link to another post here in the forum. As somebody who have relied heavily on MediaWiki in the past I find this strange. Wouldn't the wiki the most appropriate place for tutorials, their associated discussion pages the best place where to suggest improvements and refinements to each tutorial?

#88 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

View Postmanu3d, on 06 March 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

I don't mean to break the wonderful flow of tutorials that is originating from this thread, but going back to the original issue of signal-to-noise ratio, I noticed that some posters on the forum make very poor use of the quoting facility. Specifically, they quote whole messages when a snippet would be enough or they nest quotes within quotes within quotes when it is maybe unnecessary. Perhaps it'd be worth to mention -somewhere- and enforce through moderation a couple of guidelines: 1) quote the least you can - a good rule of thumb is: quoted text should be no more than 30% of your post 2) avoid nesting quotes when possible.
Most posters in this section stick around long enough to have their problem solved, and that's about it. Such a rule would be ignored.

It can be enforced via a forum setting, but personally I find it annoying to have my quotes automatically pruned on those occasions where I want them nested.

On a separate subject, I'm noticing the link to tutorials posted in this thread often (always?) link to another post here in the forum. As somebody who have relied heavily on MediaWiki in the past I find this strange. Wouldn't the wiki the most appropriate place for tutorials, their associated discussion pages the best place where to suggest improvements and refinements to each tutorial?
I've been wondering about this somewhat myself.

#89 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:27 AM

In my experience, people are either kind/intelligent enough to do this on their own, or they ignore any and all rules when making their posts. It would be great if they would do this though.

I love wikis. They're great for collaboration, they seem more official, they're more versatile... The list goes on.

That being said, people may be avoiding the wiki for several reasons:
  • It's more time consuming. In order to make a tutorial on MediaWiki, one needs to know how to use wiki syntax and how to write a well formatted tutorial. It's not something that takes a ton of time to learn, but why go to the effort when we have a handy forum on hand?
  • Making a forum post is convenient. In order to edit the ComputerCraft wiki, you need to make a request for permission. And though it's sadly necessary that we restrict the wiki in this manner, it will still deter those who don't necessarily feel like taking the time to sign up.
  • Forum posts are more visible, and the credit/upvotes go to the original creator. People like having their hard work admired, and as such making a post in the tutorials section will be more appealing than writing up a tutorial on a wiki, which hides the contributor(s) unless the reader actively searches for them.
So, unless we have somebody willing to transfer content over to the wiki, the way tutorials work is probably going to stay like that for the foreseeable future.

#90 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:37 AM

The above is all true, but not the complete picture.

I had hoped originally to get the tutorial series up on the wiki, and have a group of motivated and experienced members of the community be given edit permissions for the pages themselves (a Tutorial Editors group, if you will), while allowing all wiki contributors to edit the talk pages. This is apparently not well supported by the wiki software we have and/or the way in which we have it configured, and AfterLifeLochie was the only one at the time who was active and had access to and experience with the configuration stuff necessary to set that sort of thing up. I would still eventually like to get that sort of system set up, but it may have to be a subsection on the Tutorials section or some such. I'd eventually like to have the tutorial series be a community project, more focused on collectively creating the best/most effective tutorials we can, rather than focusing on individual contributions to the project. For now, I'm simply glad to have received the great contributions we have so far.

#91 manu3d

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBasel, Switzerland

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Thanks Bubba and Lyqyd for your replies. I can only reply: fair enough! :)

#92 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 31 July 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

Turtle basics - move, turn, refuel, dig, place, attack - draft
Turtle intermediate - suck, drop, getStackSize, detect, compare
Turtle intermediate - compareTo, getSpaceInSlot, transferTo, craft
So I've been looking into finishing Intermediate 1 & 2 now that uni has completed. But I also thought I should update Basics 1 to ComputerCraft 1.63 and was wondering your thoughts Lyqyd. Would equipLeft and equipRight go in Basics 1 since in order to do dig a tool is needed. How about getFuelLevel and getFuelLimit? Oh and slot selection, I feel would probably need to be in Intermediate 1, yes?

#93 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

Turtle Basics should probably talk about the built-in refuel program with a note that the functions it uses internally will be covered in a later tutorial, with a link. I think tool adding can be covered with just crafting (end up with a mining turtle when explaining the crafting recipes), with a similar note about the functions and their caveats being explained in later tutorials. I think it is somewhat important to start the tutorials out such that they are easy to understand, which occasionally means glossing over details that will need further explanation later. Obviously, in those cases, we want to link to the further information so that it is not assumed to be the full explanation or cause any misconceptions.

Slot selection would definitely go in turtle intermediate 1. With the extra functions added, we will have to look at how much ends up in the turtle intermediate tutorials and possible re-split them into different groupings.

#94 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

Alrighty, that makes logical sense :) I'm hoping that the Intermediate ones won't end too large, but I'll follow a similar format to the basics tutorial, so we shall see how it goes :)

#95 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:28 AM

I've added the Computer Basics III tutorial. For reference, I've been using this sort of format as the header for my tutorials:

This is a tutorial in the Ask a Pro Renewal Project series.

Prerequisite tutorial:
Computer Basics I

Next suggested tutorial:
Computer Basics III

In this tutorial, we will learn about several programs included with ComputerCraft: help, programs, label, id, copy, move, rename, mkdir.

This example is taken directly from the Computer Basics II tutorial. As you can see, the first line is a statement that the tutorial is part of this series of tutorials. The next two parts list any prerequisite tutorials that the reader should complete to set themselves up for this tutorial and any following tutorials that come after the current tutorial. Note that you should only list direct descendants of the tutorial, which are always going to be in the same category as the current tutorial (a Computer subject tutorial wouldn't list a Redstone section tutorial as a following tutorial). The final line briefly summarizes the concepts that the tutorial will cover.

I also have been including a line at the very end of the tutorial that summarizes again what the tutorial has gone over, usually somewhat expanded from the version of the summary at the top.

#96 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:41 AM

View PostLyqyd, on 06 November 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

Note that you should only list direct descendants of the tutorial, which are always going to be in the same category as the current tutorial (a Computer subject tutorial wouldn't list a Redstone section tutorial as a following tutorial).
I don't completely agree with that bolded statement

Peripheral Basics said:

Leads onto:
— Peripheral Intermediate
— Modem Intermediate
— Monitor basics

Edited by theoriginalbit, 06 November 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#97 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:55 AM

Hmmm. Are those following tutorials, or tutorials which could be linked to from inside the tutorial content as a way of expanding on concepts that you touch briefly on in that tutorial? I'm not extremely attached to the only-from-same-category thing, but I don't want to have to try to list all of the tutorials that list, for example, Computer Basics I as a prerequisite as following tutorials.

#98 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:57 AM

it's basically anything that I believe should list that tutorial as a prerequisite, thus making them something it leads onto

#99 Dustmuz

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

just a overall question..

what about making a pinned / locked forum post in the tutorial section, that lists all the different tutorials,
and contains the link and maybe a 1-3 line description of the tutorial.

One thing i really like about the Computer basics tutorials, is the last 3 lines.
they do explain what the tutorial just went through, and it is a description like that, that could be with each link

a post like that, would make the tutorial section easier to look through, and search through aswell.

just my thoughts on that :)
merry Christmas to you all

#100 LeviM

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

Are you asking us to produce tutorials from the list included? If so I would be happy to help but I wonder where I should post such tutorials.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users