Music Player With BuildCraft: Automtically Switch Discs

computer media utility

8 replies to this topic

#1 Negeator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationThe Shivering Isles

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

This is my first program I will be putting on the website.

Using BuildCraft, this program is able to play music discs from a chest, and can automatically switch to a different random disc at any time.

You can manually tell the program to play/stop/switch discs, or you can use an AutoPlay feature that will automatically switch to a new disc every so often. This is nice if you want various songs playing in the background automatically.

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Code:
Spoiler

How to Set Up:
(See Pictures)
Place your computer and a disk drive next to it. Then place a chest next to the disk drive with a wooden pipe between them. Place a wooden pipe behind the chest and behind the disk drive, and then connect the wooden pipes with cobblestone pipes. You then need to place a redstone engine beneath both wooden pipes connected to the disk drive (one powers a disc in, the other powers a disc out). Place redstone directly underneath the computer (the program outputs redstone through the bottom), and connect the redstone to both engines. If you did this corectly, turning the redstone on should power both the the redstone engines, which pipes things in/out of the disk drive. Then just place your music discs in the chest.

Known Issues:
Unfortunately BuildCraft pipes take the item in the very first slot out of the chest, meaning things are not taken out entirely "randomly." This will lead to only a few discs ending up being cycled through. To solve this you may be able to set up a more sophisticated machine to allow more variety.

If you find any problems or have any suggestions feel free to say them here.

#2 JonathanVB

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

I liked the idea behind this, but the "known issue" was too critical (after some time it only plays two disks). I managed to solve it by using a completely different system, though yours seems more elegant, mine is more correct. I have used some snippets of your code, which I will change if asked.

http://www.computerc...l-music-player/

I also had the problem (with your player) that the wooden pipes wouldn't take the disk from the drive, which I fixed by rotating the disk drive, ejecting the disk, and picking it up with an obsidian pipe.

#3 Deathknight0897

• New Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

why do it this way with build craft use a series of computers connected via bundled cable have each one on a different color so 3 pcs bundled cable in the back on all of them then a color yo out of the front you know what actually if your willing to wait i will look into this and make one an post it i see loads of these requests im going to make a fully digital player and show you how to do it

#4 Mr_Spiffy

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

There seems to be a problem with the Autoplay feature for me. What it does is it just repeatedly plays the very beginning of the song that is in the disk drive over and over again like a broken record or something. I would like some help on this as the Autoplay feature was the only reason I was interested in the program.

#5 waffles05

• New Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationThe Overworld

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:02 AM

I think this is a good idea and program and looks quite good, the only thing stopping it from working is mods not this. Your program is really good, are you a beginner? Because if you are that program is amazing for someone like you.

You don't need the wooden pipe behind the chest though, as nothing is being taken out from that side

#6 SomniusX

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:35 AM

can we use midi files instead of music disk which are predefined ?

#7 Llurendt

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

Hello! I am really enjoying your program! I have run into a problem, though, which I can't seem to figure out the solution to, haha. How do you set autoplay to be on by default? I have changed trues and falses and anything else I can think of, yet the only thing I can accomplish is either to simply break it, or to make it SAY that it is on, but not actually be on, lol. Can you help me out? :D

#8 techno156

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

Hm... I think using turtles should work, if someone is able to program the turtle to choose a random slot on the chest. Whoops. XD I didn't read it properly. :P Maybe you could have a pipe loop, so that the discs would choose a random pipe themselves?

#9 Llurendt

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Oh, I resolved the problem of changing discs using buildcraft filters and pneumatic pipes, with chests in between, but still have the issue of autoplay being turned off by default, lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users