10 replies to this topic

#1 nutcase84

• Members
  • 711 posts
  • LocationIn My Lonely Little Computer Corner

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

Posted Image

Website Wikipedia Page Features Guide

I thought it would be nice to talk about Mozilla's new OS.

There are going to be two Firefox OS devices released soon, the ZTE Open, and the Alcatel One Touch Fire. I plan on getting the ZTE Open. What do you think? Do you think it's worth it? Are you going to get one? Why or why not?

Also, I can't make it Firefox OS It makes it Firefox Os.

They released the ZTE Open! It's only in orange though. :(

#2 steel_toed_boot

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

I think it will be worth a try. Microsoft/Apple can't be the only ones making quality Operating Systems.

#3 ShadowedZenith

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationComputational Soup of the Cloud

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

View Poststeel_toed_boot, on 15 August 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

I think it will be worth a try. Microsoft/Apple can't be the only ones making quality Operating Systems.

I'd have to disagree here. They're entering what's quickly becoming an over saturated OS market. Android, iOS, Windows Mobile/Phone/CE/one of the millions of other names Microsoft has attached to their mobile market, Ubuntu Phone (iirc), Firefox OS, along with multiple other, lesser known mobile OSes floating around out there. All phone OSes do pretty much the same thing and honestly don't bring much to the table. iOS and Android have very similar App markets with Windows Phone (albeit slowly) catching up. What's the real appeal to a Firefox mobile OS outside of it having "Firefox" attached and it using HTML5 for all of its interfaces?

#4 nutcase84

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

You don't like android? :(

View PostShadowedZenith, on 15 August 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

I'd have to disagree here. They're entering what's quickly becoming an over saturated OS market. Android, iOS, Windows Mobile/Phone/CE/one of the millions of other names Microsoft has attached to their mobile market, Ubuntu Phone (iirc), Firefox OS, along with multiple other, lesser known mobile OSes floating around out there. All phone OSes do pretty much the same thing and honestly don't bring much to the table. iOS and Android have very similar App markets with Windows Phone (albeit slowly) catching up. What's the real appeal to a Firefox mobile OS outside of it having "Firefox" attached and it using HTML5 for all of its interfaces?

Variety is the spice of life.

#5 nutcase84

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

Added Features Guide PDF.

#6 Zee

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

Seems epic. Stupid question, but will I be able to try and run this on my Android after porting the code?

#7 kornichen

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

I think FirefoxOS is fine but you need a internet connection permanent. It's very hard with 300 megabytes of traffic per month like I have. But you can test it out if you have Firefox.

There is a Firefox addon called "Firefox OS Simulator": https://addons.mozil...x-os-simulator/

Just install it, goto Extras, Web-Developer, Firefox OS Simulator

Best regards,
kornichen

#8 nutcase84

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostZee, on 15 August 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

Seems epic. Stupid question, but will I be able to try and run this on my Android after porting the code?

It seems that a few people made roms for android devices... Google it.

And they released the ZTE Open! It's only in orange though. I'm going to wait for blue. (As you probably can tell, it's my favorite color.)

LINK

View Postkornichen, on 16 August 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

I think FirefoxOS is fine but you need a internet connection permanent. It's very hard with 300 megabytes of traffic per month like I have. But you can test it out if you have Firefox.

There is a Firefox addon called "Firefox OS Simulator": https://addons.mozil...x-os-simulator/

Best regards,
kornichen

Firefox OS has cached apps. Anyway, the way I'm going to use it, is connect to my dumb phone using Bluetooth. It's a prepaid Tracfone, so I'm going to blow through minutes if I use data. So it's only going to be for calls, and I'll connect to WiFi when I want to download something.

#9 nutcase84

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

Where's the other colors? I want blue!!!

#10 Zee

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

View Postnutcase84, on 16 August 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

View PostZee, on 15 August 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

It seems that a few people made roms for android devices... Google it.

And they released the ZTE Open! It's only in orange though. I'm going to wait for blue. (As you probably can tell, it's my favorite color.)

LINK

View Postkornichen, on 16 August 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

Best regards,
kornichen

Firefox OS has cached apps. Anyway, the way I'm going to use it, is connect to my dumb phone using Bluetooth. It's a prepaid Tracfone, so I'm going to blow through minutes if I use data. So it's only going to be for calls, and I'll connect to WiFi when I want to download something.

Actually, I think I'll learn C++ so I can port it to my Galaxy Player 5.0. It will be a learning experience. :P

#11 lieudusty

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

I don't think Firefox OS will get anywhere considering theres Android and iOS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users