Let Turtles Activate Wired Modems

14 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan1852

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

The Title pretty mich says it. Turtles can place wired modems on a block, they can even
place a cable on the modem, so why not also allow them to activate the modems. It would be
cool for many contraptions wich could then completely be build with turtles...

#2 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

Have you tried using turtle.place() with an empty slot?

#3 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

Yeh Lyqyd I tried a few things and if I found one I was going to post it. I tried turtle.place, turtle.attack which didn't work and of course turtle.dig didn't work. I figured if anything was going to work it would have been turtle.attack.

#4 Nathan1852

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 15 September 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

Have you tried using turtle.place() with an empty slot?

Yes, i tried it wirh turtle.place() with an empty slot, also with other commands for the Turtle, and none seemed to work
there. So i figured that i just post it as an suggestion...

#5 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

I'm also popping up to second or third this. It would make wired networks far more useful if a turtle could do all of the groundwork, particularly for improved security GPS arrays being able to triangulate a message by communicating amongst themselves over a wired network. This is currently less practical than it could be, because if you want to connect them you have to go all the way up there yourself. That is less of a problem in some mod packs than it is for others, but in a pure CC mod it can be somewhat inconvenient.

This would also be much better for making certain deep-buried arrangements.

#6 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

What would the modems be connected to in the GPS array? Modems only have to be manually activated to connect peripherals.

#7 Sebra

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

Why modems should be activated only manually? Is there any reason to forbid activation by turtle?

#8 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

In the secure GPS array, it's convenient to use one computer as a master controller and have it boot up/shut down the other computers (and alter their boot drive files) rather than having them boot by themselves. It's not really necessary, I have to admit, it just gives the master controller some additional control (if you have a fancy anti-turtle setup it can be necessary, though). For other applications (underground sensor network or whatever) you might well be working with peripherals. Since programs can use getNames it isn't strictly necessary to have the information you get by hand activation.

I can see it as a "no plugNplay" era nod, I guess. It's not like I can think of a situation where it would be more than just a convenience to not have to go someplace and do it yourself.

#9 aaa

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

I like the idea that turtles should be able to do anything Steve does
+1

#10 Shadow_Phenyx

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Seems useful to me, I support.

#11 TheJeremail

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Location(Bromley), London

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

I support this aswell, since it would be useful for a simple turtle to acquire information by temporarily 'docking' onto a network

#12 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

Turtles still wouldn't themselves be able to connect to wired networks.

#13 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

Sounds like the ability for them to do that should be added aswell then, cause that would be awesome! Though i doubt i would ever use it.
OpenP's peripheral proxy might enable them to do that actually.

#14 TheJeremail

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Location(Bromley), London

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

But you would be able to use a wireless connection on a turtle with a router-computer to plunk down say an MFE and get the data out of it..

#15 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

wat... The turtle could just get the info from the MFE directly then send it over wireless. Also, a freshly placed MFE wouldn't have any interesting info to read anyways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users