Downloading Wiki Doesn't Work

7 replies to this topic

#1 ardera

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:19 AM

Hello,
recently I tried to download the cc Wiki using wget version 1.10.2.

I tried to download from the url http://www.computercraft.info/wiki/ and http://www.computerc.../wiki/Main_Page, but both didn't work. (it only downloaded Main_Page)

Does anyone have an idea to download the wiki?

#2 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

What exactly do you mean with 'download the wiki'?
I mean, the only way I could see it properly happening is downloading all html/css files etc. for an offline version

#3 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

Don't do that. Users have been banned before for trying to download the entire wiki. It takes up an enormous amount of bandwidth.

#4 Vilsol

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationStudy: United Kingdom Native: Latvia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Wget just downloads a single file on the target. If you want to download an entire website you have to get a recursive downloader. Don't do it on the wiki because it can damage it.

#5 ardera

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 22 October 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

Don't do that. Users have been banned before for trying to download the entire wiki. It takes up an enormous amount of bandwidth.
Okay, I didn't think of this... I'll not try to download it then.

#6 electrodude512

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

Is there any reason not to download the wiki if you somehow tell your downloader to wait say a second or so between files? I just realized that downloading the wiki would be incredibly useful for all those times I don't have internet.

#7 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

View Postelectrodude512, on 25 October 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

Is there any reason not to download the wiki if you somehow tell your downloader to wait say a second or so between files? I just realized that downloading the wiki would be incredibly useful for all those times I don't have internet.
Maybe this is an option? http://www.makeuseof...ffline-reading/

It downloads something, thoughts on this?

#8 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

View Postelectrodude512, on 25 October 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

It will still take up far more bandwidth than normal usage. We do not allow full downloads to be taken of the wiki. The bandwidth requirements are enormous, so if everyone decided that they needed their own personal copy of the wiki, the site would go down because of bandwidth overages before anyone was even halfway through. Don't download the wiki.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users