Turtle Head Lights...

25 replies to this topic

#1 spdkils

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

Combine a turtle, with a redstone lamp (or two) and then you have a turtle with a headlamp!

Then add it in so you can turn on and off the light.

It would make mining with turtles... Way better. Being able to see the turtle, watch it dig, see it against the blackness of the 60 foot cavern ceiling.

Flash them for warning, so you can see them blink... etc.

So, there it is my suggestion.

(I'd make it myself, but I wouldn't know where to begin!)

#2 distantcam

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationChunk 0

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

Or you could do something like this.

#3 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

View Postdistantcam, on 29 October 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

-snip-

That was... actually pretty cool.

Anyway, I think I like this suggestion. It's certainly unique.

#4 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:51 AM

I do quite like this idea.

I looked into doing this as a peripheral a few hours ago, but without any Forge lighting hooks its extremely difficult.

#5 mrdawgza

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

I suggest this just because I will be able to drive a turtle around a model city at night :D

#6 Wojbie

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • LocationKinda lost

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

As Awesome as this idea is i just realized that with limit of 2 peripherals on turtle i would never have mining wireless lamp turtle.
Still idea seems nice - if not in main mod then in peripheral form. Hope theoriginalbit figures it out :D

#7 spdkils

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

Yeah, that is why I asked about modifying the modem, and was met with real disagreemnt, like I was killing a sacred cow. (I really didn't understand the aversion.)

The other option, seems to be a new turtle type, that is a turtle mod, not a periprial, that would be a turtle with addtional methods. Even a new block ID. However, I don't really understand the workings of Turtles forge, the api, or any of it... I'm clueless. Another one was suggested already, skinning turtles, so you can color/badge them, and add lighting to that. (But again, I have NO CLUE how the blocks are built, how the light is controled, skinning, meta, any of that stuff.)

So, anything that gets lights on turtles == GOOD!

Now that colored glass is in 1.7.2, create monitors with color screens, (back to skinning) anyway, I don't want to go too far off topic. LIGHTS ON TURTLES FTW!

#8 TheOddByte

Lazy Coder

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hmm... This idea seems quite interesting, Would certainly be a lot easier to find the turtle at night :)
And that video above was so cool :D

#9 maninorange

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:54 AM

This is actually a great idea. I recently had a 128x128x2 floor carved out by turtles so that I could always have a place for mob hunting, but I needed it lit up in places so that I could actually see where the turltes were, get some of the exposed ore etc., so I had a stack or two of torches scattered around the place... and that was AWFUL to clean up because of complications with holes and water buckets... this would have saved me a lot of work.

Also, it's not game-breaking, which I like. I'm new here, but I'm familiar with game design, so I understand why block-id detection is never going to happen, and I'm happy about it. This, however, gives a set of options which would not obsolesce swaths of programs that people have already written; would create countless options for creative visual displays, other artwork, and even a few games I can think of; and would simply relieve certain frustrations inherent in spending most of one's time underground without removing the danger altogether.

#10 aaa

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

isn't there already sort of glowing turtles with open peripheral?

#11 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

View Postaaa, on 07 November 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Nope. There's the sensor and the narcissistic turtle, nothing with light, for this reason

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 30 October 2013 - 02:51 AM, said:

but without any Forge lighting hooks its extremely difficult.

#12 cant_delete_account

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 07 November 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

View Postaaa, on 07 November 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Nope. There's the sensor and the narcissistic turtle, nothing with light, for this reason

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 30 October 2013 - 02:51 AM, said:

but without any Forge lighting hooks its extremely difficult.
You would have to make a whole new turtle and then add setLightLevel to it and it would light up. But even then, when it moved there would be no light.

#13 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:00 PM

View Postthesbros, on 07 November 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

You would have to make a whole new turtle and then add setLightLevel to it and it would light up. But even then, when it moved there would be no light.
You don't need a whole new turtle, changing the value of its light level is possible with the existing turtles. The problem is with that method, when one turtle's light is on, all turtle's light is on, even if they don't have the peripheral.

Edited by theoriginalbit, 07 November 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#14 spdkils

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Well there are forge mods that add lights, that respond to redstone signals. (Redpwer 2?)

So is the challenge having the light of a turtle control by an internal state, as opposed to globally? Clearly lights in game (forge mods, and otherwise) can be controlled by other states than just redstone. (IC2 has lights in it as well, I thought they checked power, and redstone?)

I don't understand the build of the game well enough to even understand why this is a problem, and if it would be hard/simple.

I just want me some turtles with headlights! (Mostly because my turtles are mining turtles, and being able to see them sure would be nice!)

#15 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

This seems like something you can do easily enough by just having the turtle place a redstone lamp and activate it. I could seriously be missing something here, but wouldn't that be better than giving up a peripheral slot anyway?

On the other hand, having turtles/computers emit a low-level light by default doesn't strike me as a terrible idea either.

#16 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostChunLing, on 11 November 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

This seems like something you can do easily enough by just having the turtle place a redstone lamp and activate it. I could seriously be missing something here, but wouldn't that be better than giving up a peripheral slot anyway?

On the other hand, having turtles/computers emit a low-level light by default doesn't strike me as a terrible idea either.

The suggestion is quite different. This would allow turtles to move at a normal rate and emit light at the same time. As it is, you could have the turtle place the redstone lamp, but for what purpose? It would have to be static.

#17 _gjkf_

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

I definitively like the idea of lights on a turtle. I hope they add it asap.

#18 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

This may be a case of "careful what you wish for"; I once made a Light Helmet, but quickly put it into storage due to the lag it caused me (SMP)... You know how emptying a water bucket may make your connection stutter a moment? Having a moving lightsource gave much the same result, though admittidly less so.

But imagine a server re-calculating, say, ten different moving light sources every second or two.

#19 cat32isepic

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

you could always make it so it would have to flash it's lights in between movements instead of while it moves

#20 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

That's not any better, since it's still two lighting recalculations per movement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users