Add Config Option For Wired Peripheral Range

14 replies to this topic

#1 Timendainum

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNether

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

Currently there is a hardcoded length limit of 256 block along a networking cable that a peripheral can be detected by a computer. Please add a config option to be able to extend that range to a greater distance. Or alternatively, add the ability to create repeater computers that would allow you to extend this range.

Additionally, I think it make sense to add a "rangeless" option for the wireless modems as well. Currently I'm sure there is an algorithm that will detect all wireless modems in range. Please add an option that doesn't consider range at all, and will even work across dimensions.

I know there are likely a lot of good balance reasons to include these range limits, but with the limitations in place it makes it difficult to automate large factories, as a 256 block long wire isn't very long when it's winding through a base.

#2 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostTimendainum, on 19 November 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

Or alternatively, add the ability to create repeater computers that would allow you to extend this range.

You already have this ability.

Additionally, I think it make sense to add a "rangeless" option for the wireless modems as well. Currently I'm sure there is an algorithm that will detect all wireless modems in range. Please add an option that doesn't consider range at all, and will even work across dimensions.

No interest in adding infinite range.

#3 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

View PostCloudy, on 19 November 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Or alternatively, add the ability to create repeater computers that would allow you to extend this range.

Trans-dimensional rednet could be useful, currently I use a mix of turtles, enderchests, disk drives and a floppy disk to send data across dimensions...

#4 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

Sounds like you've got it covered, though the ender chests aren't necessary. Nether portals and mystcraft portals should both work just fine for tossing disks through.

#5 Left4Cake

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

Unless you have players ir anchors on both sides nothing would work anyway.

#6 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:34 AM

View PostLeft4Cake, on 20 November 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

Unless you have players ir anchors on both sides nothing would work anyway.
Not hard to do. its not like you have to keep the entire line loaded, only the two points where the computers are.

#7 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostLyqyd, on 19 November 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

Sounds like you've got it covered, though the ender chests aren't necessary. Nether portals and mystcraft portals should both work just fine for tossing disks through.
Clearlag :P

#8 Left4Cake

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 20 November 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

Not hard to do. its not like you have to keep the entire line loaded, only the two points where the computers are.
Ok, what about single player, computer craft only runs. I guess if you build on the spawn it would work.

#9 Timendainum

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNether

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostCloudy, on 19 November 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

You say I already have the ability to pass peripherals along to other computers on the network. How would this be possible?

I understand I have the ability with wireless modems to send messages between computers, but how to you pass a wrapped peripheral?

Infinite range, sure you can pass disks through the nether (in many different ways), but how do I extend a network across dimensions?

#10 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

Create a rednet protocol to handle remote peripheral calls (override peripheral.call to add network transport).

Throw disks through portals. This is further simplified on worlds with Mystcraft installed. On worlds with EnderStorage installed, you can use ender chests instead.

It isn't our responsibility to make everything that you want to be possible possible, or make the things that are already possible easier simply because you haven't figured out how to do it yet.

#11 Timendainum

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNether

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

Okay, I'm sure I'm becoming a pain here, but please be patient, I'm trying to learn!

View PostLyqyd, on 20 November 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Create a rednet protocol to handle remote peripheral calls (override peripheral.call to add network transport).

Understood, and will do using your rednet api. I will release the results on the API forum.

Throw disks through portals. This is further simplified on worlds with Mystcraft installed. On worlds with EnderStorage installed, you can use ender chests instead.

I understand disks can be thrown through portals. I can see how you could move programs and data in files around, but it's not really a networking solution any more than sneakernet is a networking solution.

The bit about Mystcraft is interesting. But I don't see what you're suggesting, you can't throw disks through Age books though? What is your idea here?

It isn't our responsibility to make everything that you want to be possible possible, or make the things that are already possible easier simply because you haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Hehe, yes, I totally agree and understand, but... I don't see how adjusting cable range is any different in philosophy than having the range of wireless modems adjustable. The 256 limit seems arbitrary, and you wouldn't be adding something to make my life any easier than what already exists with the wireless modems. If the development philosophy is to create interesting problems to solve, then why is the range of wireless modems adjustable? Because everything that has been said in this thread is just as applicable to the wireless network as it is applicable to the wired network.

From my perspective (and all due respect here, I'm not trying to be a jerk, you guys are awesome!) the decision to not apply this to wired networks seems arbitrary and it doesn't seem like you guys are recognizing that.

Edited by Timendainum, 20 November 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#12 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

Mystcraft includes crystal blocks which can be used to form portals. Used with linking books, this opens up the ability to cross data into the End as well, or any other dimension you can access with Mystcraft.

Wired networks having a hard limit makes sense. 256 blocks happens to also be the limit used with RedPower, though I'm sure that is complete coincidence. I think that part of the idea is to allow low-tier networking as well as provide remote peripheral access, but that more complex networking or longer-distance communications be mostly restricted to wireless networks. Separately, I think there may be implementation details that steered toward the 256-block limit, perhaps related to the physical size limits of a network and chunk loading boundaries around players. This is all speculation.

#13 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

It isn't arbitrary. Bear in mind the network has to be traversed.

#14 Timendainum

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNether

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

I appreciate your feedback very much guys. Thank you for explaining what you're looking for here!

I do see the sense in it now.

#15 Left4Cake

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

Just wondering: why 256, as oppsed to say 32, 64, 128, or 512. (Just curious, I always find design chooses interesting.)

Edited by Left4Cake, 21 November 2013 - 11:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users