[mc 1.6.4] Speech synth peripheral

peripheral

13 replies to this topic

#1 mrgreaper

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:02 AM

Hi, im mrgreaper some of you may of seen me in irc :)
I was a great fan of miscp`s speaker peripheral by richardg, since thats now on heitus i decided to make my own and add it to my mod
It has some pros and cons over the old one,(i should note that none of richardg`s code was used in the creation of this part of the mod, or any of it :) )

Pro`s,
its a proper synth so sounds more computery
its more adaptable on the fly, as you can change many of the settings when you call its functions
its java so should be compatable with all os`s
my mod is open source so you can see how i did it

Con`s
its a proper synth so sounds more computery (for some that may be a con)
im a novice coder so it may have bugs (none i have found)
its part of a bigger mod(i may make it a seperate mod in future...*may* depends if i get many requests to make it seperate, though why you would want to miss out on the rest of my mods content is beyond me! (ok ok i may be bias))
it needs the freetts librarys in the mods folder (included in the download - yes thats ok in thier license)

I will link you to the mcf where my mod is stored as it explains it all better there but will put the relevent part here too and the vid :)
http://www.minecraft...rs-twisted-mod/

The Enslaved Bunny
Using some noteblocks we are able to give the bunny a voice we can control! Finaly a use for bunnys beyond soup and netherstars! The bunny is incarcerated automaticly in a box made of a substance more powerful then dirt! which will hold him comfortably while the wires are humanly shoved *this part of the instruction manual appears to be smudged with some sort of red stain....must be ketchup* placed next to a computercraft computer it can be wrapped like any other peripheral (ie bunny = peripheral.wrap("left") ) and adds one function speak(pitch,pitch range,pitch shift, range,"test to speak") (ie bunny.speak(1,0,60,10,"this will sound like a cylon") The max range can be set in the config file to stop abuse
Posted Image

the download is in the forum post and thats liable to be more uptodate but here is build 25(dated 13/12/13)
http://www.putlocker...593C2B2F4F513A7
on putlocker be sure to click "continue as free user"
mirror https://www.mediafir...828ddv045o6282h

i would like to also thank RichardG for pushing me a bit to make it myself :) and ofcourse for the original idea, pure genius.

side note: i got a pm on mcf asking if they could take my enslaved bunny and release it as a seperate mod by itself and asking me what class files were needed to make it work..... thats so not cool its unbelivable! i ofcourse said no, all my code is commented as i say and it would be easy to see how i did it and make your own, that im ok with, its why my mod is open source, just making a mod out of my class files however...not cool!

Edited by mrgreaper, 12 December 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#2 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

This is amazing - but I couldn't find the Source Code link, is it on GitHub? PutLocker is a bit of a pain - could we use Dropbox, or MediaFire?

Edited by awsmazinggenius, 12 December 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#3 mrgreaper

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

the source code is on github yes https://github.com/m...per/TwistedMod/
I go a bit ott commenting on stuff in there as i have to remind myself how i did stuff (the curse of getting old makes the memory go lol)

Also uploaded it to mediafire (personly find putlocker faster but doesnt hurt to have it mirrored :))

#4 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:20 PM

Thanks, you are totally awesome!

#5 Elrond1369

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

This is cool. The only numbers that seem to affect the voice are the 3rd and 4th. Also it would be nice if their wasn't a bunny inside the box begging to get out.

Edited by Elrond1369, 16 December 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#6 bobster71

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:51 AM

Hey,

AMAZING!

Never thought I'd see this in minecraft. Well done.
It reminds me of the C64 days, "sam say it" for thoughs C64 fans. :-)

Bobster

#7 mrgreaper

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

View PostElrond1369, on 16 December 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

This is cool. The only numbers that seem to affect the voice are the 3rd and 4th. Also it would be nice if their wasn't a bunny inside the box begging to get out.

4th should be range only (as in how many blocks the voice can be heard)
the others should effect it but depends on thier value (i believe minus values can be used too) since the speech engine can accept these values i have programmed them into the peripheral so players can use them, the annoying thing is, with stuff at the mo i havent had time to actualy play with it beyond testing lol

True but if you gagged the bunny how would it talk when you needed it to?
ok ok i know what you mean, since this was created as part of my "Twisted mod" it makes sense to have the bunny try to get out of it, when i update to 1.7 (that will be the next version) i will add an option to the config to silence him. I am also planning to add a failing enslaved bunny box, ie shake him to much theres a very slim chance of breaking him (like 1 in 10000 so VERY rare) when you do he will use a lower quality voice and his words per minute will be lowered drasticly.

View Postbobster71, on 17 December 2013 - 04:51 AM, said:

Hey,

AMAZING!

Never thought I'd see this in minecraft. Well done.
It reminds me of the C64 days, "sam say it" for thoughs C64 fans. :-)

Bobster
I had one of those cartridges :)
Yeah my main goal was to have it sound computerised and not human which is why i used freeTTS and not microsofts built in tts(which is how richardG did it). The upshot is that it should work on any os that supports minecraft(and thus java).

future:
when forge 1.7/cc for 1.7 is out(and stable) my whole mod will be migrated to a new workspace/github and most re-written(lots of it will need to be re-written, 1.7 sounds like its gonna be a nightmare for all modders) I plan to use this time to get more voices added into the peripheral as well as the aforementioned mute config for on Holding him. He will also have a lot more lines to say to make him less repetitive, something that can be done very easierly with the speech synth (wish i could do that with the electric bunnys but each line for them needs a new sound sample, that i have to create and increases the filesize :) )

Glad you guys are liking it though, it is at the end of the day why most of us mod :)

#8 Slash0mega

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

Could you please make a stand alone version of this mod without the rabbits?
Instead of a "enslaved bunny" block, a plain old "voice synth" block?

#9 TheOddByte

Lazy Coder

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

View PostSlash0mega, on 14 June 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

Nice gravedigging :P
Would be nice to have a standalone block, Does this work for CC 1.63?
I'm unsure if there is a text-to-speech API, I remember talking to TOBIT about it

theoriginalbit said:

there's no text-to-speech APIs that support all platforms

#10 mrgreaper

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

computer craft is still on mc 1.6.4 been waiting months for it to update but no luck as yet.

View PostTheOddByte, on 15 June 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

Nice gravedigging :P
Would be nice to have a standalone block, Does this work for CC 1.63?
I'm unsure if there is a text-to-speech API, I remember talking to TOBIT about it

theoriginalbit said:

there's no text-to-speech APIs that support all platforms

theoriginalbit (no idea who he is) is wrong on that, no offense to the man

Long version: Richard G had a speech synth addon in his mod, it only worked on windows but it was awesome, when mc updated (may of been to 1.4 or 1.5 i cant renember) the speech synth part of his mod stopped working, i asked if he was planning to update it and he replied that he was not, i asked how he did it and he told me to go figure it out for myself (you got to love our "community")
so thats what i did, the api i used is simple and is a java library it therefore works on any system where java will run :) but not only did i achieve this (which as a novice coder im rather proud of) i also made my mod open source so others wont have to "figure it out for themselfs"

when forge became stable enough on 1.7.2 i wrote a tutorial on how to add speech synth to your mod http://www.minecraft..._a_speech_Synth i hope that will help anyone who wants to do it :)

as for grave digging ...that implies this mod is dead, nope its not its just sleeping, i cant do anything with my mod untill computercraft and thermal expansion update (god knows why both are still stuck in 1.6.4! if you look at the video attached to the tutorial you will see the date is jan 09...yep over 5 months ago lol)

short version:
errrr read the long version lol

When CC is upto date i may create a speech synth addon only mod to get back into the swing of modding (its been so long im bound to be rusty) however anyone is welcome to use the guide to beat me to it, i wont mind 1 bit, i mod for fun not to be the greatest or to try and one up others (there are a few other modders like that and i love them to pieces, sadly were few and far between :( )

hope you enjoy the guide and if your theoriginalbit i hope your not offended :)

EDIT
ooooo i just saw theres a beta for 1.7.2! i have been checking the main page every week for months but didnt think to check the forums, with luck it wont be long till its the main build, in the mean time im setting up my dev enviroment :)

Edited by mrgreaper, 15 June 2014 - 11:23 PM.

#11 TheOddByte

Lazy Coder

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

View Postmrgreaper, on 15 June 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

- Snip snip -
Strange that you don't know who TOBIT is :P
Anyway.. About the gravedigging part, it felt like he was gravedigging when there has been no posts on this topic in about half a year.

Edit: Post 1111 :3

Edited by TheOddByte, 16 June 2014 - 10:05 AM.

#12 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

wow Hellkid, I don't even remember where I was having that discussion!

In any case mrgreaper last I checked (which would have been back whenever I said that) FreeTTS hadn't worked on Mac OS X since about 10.7 or was it 10.6, it may have updated since, but that's why I said it didn't work on OS X.

Edited by theoriginalbit, 16 June 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#13 TheOddByte

Lazy Coder

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 16 June 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

We spoke about it over skype, remember? :P

#14 mrgreaper

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 16 June 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

In any case mrgreaper last I checked (which would have been back whenever I said that) FreeTTS hadn't worked on Mac OS X since about 10.7 or was it 10.6, it may have updated since, but that's why I said it didn't work on OS X.

ah didnt know that just assumed since it was java it would run on all java capeable platforms. though i only use the core voices not the mbroa(i cant spell it and my notes arnt to hand) ones as i couldnt get them to work with out having to install an application...something i dont want to force players to do.

in other news since i found the beta of cc for 1.7.2 (any idea why its a beta when forge for 1.7.2 has been out for over half a year now? is there game killing bugs?) i have started on a reaper pripherals mod that will include the speech synth (at mo its speech synth and includes my chat bots but it will include others and all parts will be toggle-able ofcourse) (as any modder will tell you its easier to work on one mod with multiple parts then a handfull of seperate mods) the alpha version *shouldnt* take long as most of the ground work i did when i rewrote my mod for 1.7.2 back in january (never released as there was bits i couldnt do due to delays in apis etc) but i also need to relearn a lot of stuff i have forgotten and networking has completly changed so need to get my head around that...lots to do :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users