Opinion on OpenComputers?

93 replies to this topic

#81 OmegaPaladin

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

I wanted to share a bit of an outsider's perspective. I'm not a coder, and I would normally never bother with learning a programing language in a videogame. When I saw computercraft in a modpack, I dismissed it as irrelevant to my game. Then I saw how cheap they were to build, and started playing around with them...

Several programs and several months later, I'm still not very good at lua, but I understand a lot more about than I ever would have done normally.

Something like OpenComputers would have never even remotely interested me. ComputerCraft being cheap is a hook that can attract people like me

#82 TheKickstart

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

Well, I Perfer CC Because The Computers Are Not Expensive, And It is Easy To Code.
Comparision :

Computercraft | OpenComputers
----------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Easy To Craft | Does Not Have An OS By Deafult To Make It Easy To Make Install My Own OS
1 Block To Use A PC , No Assembling | Temporary Files
Starts In A Flash | Gives Me Tips About The Mod
Easy To Use Redstone With | Can Project Holograms
Easy To Use Preinstalled OS | Screens And PC Cases Can Be Coloured
No Need For A Keyboard | Can Mix Screens By Changing Graphics Cards

Thats All I Can Say

#83 MrObsidy

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationHesse, Germany

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:49 PM

While this is a old topic, I think it adresses a core problem of both CC and OC:
Noone uses it.
Now don't get me wrong, but the thing with CC and OC is that the majority of the community(ies) are coders themselves, meaning we
just code for each other and everyone just tries to use their own software anyways. What I mean by that is that we (the community) try to develop
something for the looks on the screen or provide this-and-that on the screen. Thing is only very few people use CC to actually use it in a "outside-world" context, like
to control something like a Nuc. Reactor or (nooby program incoming) a door lock. Most people just use it (CC and OC) to build programs that can easily be replaced
by just getting out a piece of paper and just writing it down. CC is more of a toy inside of a toy (Minecraft) than a tool inside of a toy.

Edited by MrObsidy, 17 April 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#84 foszae

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:26 PM

For what it's worth Mr Obsidy, some of us do specifically use Computercraft as an in-game tool. One of the first things i do with diamonds and ender pearls is spend them on turtles and wireless modems; in early game they cut stairways, do branch mining and smart forestry. By midgame, my base would have a dozen different computer systems controlling boilers, refineries, quarries, and monitoring inventory levels. Sure, i have a suite of custom software i've written, but i've never designed some fancy GUI to show off my programming skills or anything other than basic in-game uses. I might have taught my daughter to program using Computercraft, but mainly so she could figure out how to automate bases on our servers. We still haven't even moved forward to 1.10.* because so much of what we use is reliant upon reading Buildcraft gates. Replacing those functions and learning OpenComputers at the same time is just onerous enough that i have been holding out for the rumoured open-sourcing of CC before we move forward.

#85 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:11 AM

I like OpenComputers better from a design aspect; I think it's better balanced and also has a bit cooler of a design to the blocks, crafting, etc. From a usability standpoint I prefer ComputerCraft, and ComputerCraft has a vastly larger software library and more documentation. You simply can't replace the years of forum posts and wiki pages from ComputerCraft. And CC is definitely simpler to craft and write programs, but after a while that gets a bit boring.

#86 TheRockettek

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationRem is best girl

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:43 AM

One of the few things we've always wanted that OC has is a bigger resolution. If this was possible we would of have much more better games and such. I believe personally (any many others do) that their programs are being limited to the size of the screen. You have to be really careful about how you are making your stuff on CC as you don't want to run out of space. Whereas in OC, the screen size is pretty massive, people have made some pretty decent renders and Operating systems that are actually good on there and hopefully if there was a way to increase the screen size in normal computer craft we would all by happy.

#87 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:27 AM

View PostTheRockettek, on 21 April 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

One of the few things we've always wanted that OC has is a bigger resolution. If this was possible we would of have much more better games and such. I believe personally (any many others do) that their programs are being limited to the size of the screen. You have to be really careful about how you are making your stuff on CC as you don't want to run out of space. Whereas in OC, the screen size is pretty massive, people have made some pretty decent renders and Operating systems that are actually good on there and hopefully if there was a way to increase the screen size in normal computer craft we would all by happy.
OC also has a stock peripheral with AES encryption and public key encryption. Public key encryption is something that can't be effectively done in CC.

#88 TheRockettek

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationRem is best girl

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

Theres an api for that on the forums somewhere i believe

#89 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:03 PM

View PostTheRockettek, on 23 April 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

Theres an api for that on the forums somewhere i believe
Yes but it takes minutes to generate a pathetically weak key, and seconds to encrypt. OC's peripherals use native code to do instantly.

#90 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

View PostD3matt, on 23 April 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

Yes but it takes minutes to generate a pathetically weak key, and seconds to encrypt. OC's peripherals use native code to do instantly.
There is the cryptographic accelerator from immibis's peripherals and Computronics's cipher block. CCTweaks's also includes a biginteger API, which should allow you to create a relatively secure RSA implementation. I think this does highlight a big difference between OC and CC though: CC is very minimal and uses peripherals to add the bells and whistles, OC bundles pretty much everything together (though exposed through various cards, and what not). Both approaches have their strengths and weaknesses.

#91 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

View PostSquidDev, on 23 April 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

There is the cryptographic accelerator from immibis's peripherals and Computronics's cipher block. CCTweaks's also includes a biginteger API, which should allow you to create a relatively secure RSA implementation. I think this does highlight a big difference between OC and CC though: CC is very minimal and uses peripherals to add the bells and whistles, OC bundles pretty much everything together (though exposed through various cards, and what not). Both approaches have their strengths and weaknesses.
OC just has things built in as peripherals that otherwise are added by additional mods in CC. The advantage here is that you can always rely on everything in OC being in a pack/server. With CC you may, or may not, have a given peripheral (more likely not right now since the latest official CC release is 1.9)

#92 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:35 PM

View PostD3matt, on 23 April 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostSquidDev, on 23 April 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

OC just has things built in as peripherals that otherwise are added by additional mods in CC. The advantage here is that you can always rely on everything in OC being in a pack/server. With CC you may, or may not, have a given peripheral (more likely not right now since the latest official CC release is 1.9)
It is all a matter of taste.

#93 Angry_Dragonoid

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationGoshen, IN

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:32 AM

Hello!

I do NOT see what the big whoop is about opencomputers...the ONLY upside I see to it is that it's the only one to be updated to the newer versions of MC. As Dan has of course been working on Redirection and some other games, he has released the new fact that he will be ABANDONING COMPUTERCRAFT!! I LOVE CC...I don't want to see it go. It's so simple and fun...I got into a creative world and played around with OC and could not figure it out, I had to google stuff just to figure out how to create a file. Why is this a thing?? CC is nice because I can create the turtle/computer (turtles are my favorite) and just program all night long...I don't have to worry about power, and lockouts, and weird code that's SO different...Personally I think OC is REALLY ridiculous...as I was saying about it being the only mod being updated to the newer versions of MC, that's great and all, but it doesn't let me use it any better...if it doesn't work in older versions, then there's really no point in updating it...Computercraft has been put into MANY modpacks, and nobody even uses it. That's because it's up to us, (The Programmers) to create the user programs so they can enjoy the amazing mod as well. I think OC just got lucky in Dan giving up on the great mod, so they took the podium...when cc was around, OC got almost no recognition pretty much anywhere...modpacks wasn't including it, yt didn't have anything except tutorials, while CC had program showcases taking over 20 pages. DW20 was like the biggest user I saw. Sethbling, I've even met professional programmers playing around with CC. Schools used CC to teach lua coding. Then CC EDU took the plate for schools which was awesome as well. OC never got that kind of recognition.

In all, I say CC is WAY better and still would be today if Dan would continue work on it. I doubt it'll ever be as good if someone else tries, they don't know the mod quite like he did.

#94 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

ComputerCraft is currently updated by the community with releases still done by Dan (eventually...).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users