Opinion on OpenComputers?

93 replies to this topic

#61 Slash0mega

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:51 AM

here i my thoughts, though note i have not tried programming for it.
I love the hardware of opencomputers, i love that ALL screens are visable without right click, and i love the persistance, and that you can click on a monetor to start typing on it.

though i can not stand the COST! if i want to start programming on a computer, i do not want to have to sit through crafting so many tiny parts for a bigger part, or spend all day mining just to start playing with one.

edit: oh ya, i forgot somthing, opencomputers seem to not have a wiki, making figuring out how to program on them a lot harder.

Edited by Slash0mega, 06 June 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#62 SpencerBeige

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:02 AM

it is 100% a ripoff, but i guess it is a sorta cool mod, still sticking to CC

#63 12sd

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

Hello there! Can you help me a bit with OpenComputers with CC's peripherals? You posted: "Compatibility with CC's peripherals, I had a advanced monitor hooked up to it last night." How can I use CC's peripherals? I can detect them in component list (icbm_machine_5), but I don't know how to tell OC to interact with them as CC peripheral (i.e. tell it to use some of ICBM CC api). Thanks!

#64 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

12sd, on 13 June 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

Hello there! Can you help me a bit with OpenComputers with CC's peripherals? You posted: "Compatibility with CC's peripherals, I had a advanced monitor hooked up to it last night." How can I use CC's peripherals? I can detect them in component list (icbm_machine_5), but I don't know how to tell OC to interact with them as CC peripheral (i.e. tell it to use some of ICBM CC api). Thanks!
You'll likely need to ask on the OC forum.

#65 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

Cranium, on 13 June 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

12sd, on 13 June 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

You'll likely need to ask on the OC forum.
Just for refernece, that is here: oc.cil.li

Edited by Csstform, 14 June 2014 - 02:09 PM.

#66 Geforce Fan

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMissouri, United States, America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe 42B, Life Street, Multiverse, 4th Dimension

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

The further I look into OC the more I realize CC made good design choices. While higher resolution sounds great, now your text and pixels are unaligned, and GUI coding(an already painful processes) gets harder, and it also means more data for the server to send to the client, causing more lag. While having big networks sounds cool, now you spend 1/2 your time managing your network and trying to make 1 computer do as much as possible so you don't eat up all your power. Also they don't have pocket computers, a major win for CC

#67 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

Slash0mega, on 06 June 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

I love the hardware of opencomputers, i love that ALL screens are visable without right click, and i love the persistance, and that you can click on a monetor to start typing on it.

though i can not stand the COST! if i want to start programming on a computer, i do not want to have to sit through crafting so many tiny parts for a bigger part, or spend all day mining just to start playing with one.

edit: oh ya, i forgot somthing, opencomputers seem to not have a wiki, making figuring out how to program on them a lot harder.
wiki's on the github: https://github.com/M...Computers/wiki/

#68 scorpi0

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

I'm new to OpenComputers. I only know 1 program for lua on CC but not sure about OpenCs. I like the mod compatibilities for OpenCs (IC2, BuildCraft, Red Logic, Project Red) but I completely prefer CC - I don't know how to set up an OpenComputer.

#69 LewisTehMinerz

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationMinecraft in Minecraft in Minecraft in ComputerCraft... in Minecraft

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

I like OpenComputers and CC pretty much the same. OpenComputers is very complex to get a computer running. You need like computer components like a CPU, Graphics card, Memory (RAM), a monitor and other stuff.

Advantages of OpenComputers:
  • It's very good for advanced programmers.
  • It has mod compatibility (Buildcraft for Power, TE, etc.)
Disadvantages:
  • It's very complex to setup.
  • It's very heavy on resources. (As in, it takes a lot of items and stuff to craft)
  • It can glitch out (I had a glitch when I had 2 typing cursors.)
  • It can bluescreen very easily if you don't set it up correctly.
Computercraft:
Advantages:
  • It doesn't require power
  • It's not complex
  • It's basic
  • You don't need a monitor
Disadvantages:
  • It can crash sometimes (Very Rarely)

#70 wilcomega

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

the things i love about OpenComputers:
- you have to make actual components and it feels statisfying to make a working computer in survival
- the ram of LuaJ is determined by the amount of ram you put into your computer
- the hologram projector is so awesome O.o
- it uses an actual disk to boot off off instead of a built in operating system that you cant even change.
- it requires power
- the server rack and the servers itself are the best, i have asked for this in computercraft for so long

things i hate:
- the robots, its the worst, i mean like come on, a leveling system, its electronics ffs, if you want it to be better you make it better, you dont "train" a piece of pure logic
- the small to no community for it.
- the default router, switch and other networking blocks. it should be so you can make your own instead of that.

in survival i would go for open computers because its just more realistic and you have to take more things into considderation with large programs
in creative of for setting up a network or just for the large community, i would defenatly choose computercraft

my oppinion on the future of both mods:
i would really like computercraft to make some mayor changes like the actual components you need to craft for the computers, that would be nice for a survival feature. of course that would be able to be turned off with a config option. computers require power, persistant computers. but keep the turtles as they are and make them accept power aswell maybe though a power outlet.

#71 Alice

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

I have something to add that I LOVE that they did.

Sockets.

Sockets are amazing and something I've been wanting to be implemented for a *long* time in ComputerCraft. Now that OpenComputers has them, I'm sorry to say that's tipped the edge and I'm breaking away from ComputerCraft.

#72 ingie

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • LocationMannin

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

my ponderings on this, after using OC for a few days:

it's long and rambling, because i'm like that, so i'll spoiler-wrap it :

Spoiler

TL;DR =
personally, the only thing keeping CC in my "needs" list for a modpack is OpenPeripherals and/or OpenCCSensors depending on what i'm doing... but parts of both of their functionality already exist in OpenComputers in the form of robot module upgrades. I think i'm like the poster above: i'll use CC for creative/map control, OC for actual gameplay.

#73 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

ingie, on 05 August 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

2) its OS.
from simple things like how it recognises a .lua extension as an executable without the extension - thus making off-line editors able to recognise the filetype and do syntax highlighting for you - to its file structure methodology/POSIX-ness/ OS tailoring.
well you can make CC recognise and run files with .lua without specifying it, its just that's not what the shell does. Also the whole tailored to mimic a Linux system can also be a downfall, since a large percentage of the market are Windows users, and a large percentage of Minecraft players are children, they don't necessarily know how to use a unix based system, personally I think the amalgamation of the OSes so people from both worlds can use the system is a good approach (if you don't know what I mean, type dir and ls into a CC computer).

#74 ingie

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • LocationMannin

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

theoriginalbit, on 05 August 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

well you can make CC recognise and run files with .lua without specifying it, its just that's not what the shell does.

exactly... and it should, out of the box.

edit 2: and you make an interesting point... to modify the OC shell and any of the default libraries you just install it on to a virtual hard disk and edit it... CC is faff-city in that regard.

Also the whole tailored to mimic a Linux system can also be a downfall, since a large percentage of the market are Windows users, and a large percentage of Minecraft players are children, they don't necessarily know how to use a unix based system, personally I think the amalgamation of the OSes so people from both worlds can use the system is a good approach (if you don't know what I mean, type dir and ls into a CC computer).

however, since i was talking about why i like it, and i'm 100% linux + mac... that point is moot. plus i'd rather people/children learn how linux/osx works in its structure and methodology, than windows... [ that's not flamebait, it's just how i'd like things to be ] ... unix/osx is more sensible. [ IMO - again, that's not up for discussion here, my point was - i prefer it to CC because of those reasons - edit: i.e. i'm not decreeing everyone else should ]

edit 2: oh, but since you did come back with that point... OC does the same... dir/ls cls/clear help/man etc...

Edited by ingie, 05 August 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#75 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

ingie, on 05 August 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

well you can make CC recognise and run files with .lua without specifying it, its just that's not what the shell does.
OC emulates more of a modern shell. CC is more late 80's early 90's shells. None of those earlier shells had filetype association like you're expecting or used to. You actually had to type out the entire filename by hand in order for it to work. Everything else past the basic CraftOS Shell is just extra fluff that does that stuff for you.

I do like the idea of building your computer, and having it require power and resources, but I like the focus of ComputerCraft towards the coding part of things, rather than the realism.

#76 ingie

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • LocationMannin

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

Cranium, on 05 August 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

OC emulates more of a modern shell. CC is more late 80's early 90's shells. None of those earlier shells had filetype association like you're expecting or used to. You actually had to type out the entire filename by hand in order for it to work.

um... MS-DOS used to happily take BAT and COM/EXE files without the extension back in the 80s ... i've been using DOS since 3.3 and probably before - i'm very old ;)

i do get your point though, and I agree that CC is intended to be retro... and as i say, i do love it for all it is.

#77 kornichen

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

ingie, on 05 August 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

Cranium, on 05 August 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

OC emulates more of a modern shell. CC is more late 80's early 90's shells. None of those earlier shells had filetype association like you're expecting or used to. You actually had to type out the entire filename by hand in order for it to work.

um... MS-DOS used to happily take BAT and COM/EXE files without the extension back in the 80s ... i've been using DOS since 3.3 and probably before - i'm very old ;)

i do get your point though, and I agree that CC is intended to be retro... and as i say, i do love it for all it is.
I am not sure whether CC is intended to be retro. I would say that it is intended to be more basic and that CC is concentrating more on programming than on stuff you don't need. An advantage of CC is that it is very useful in things of practical use while OC isn't that much because you have to setup a power grid and stuff like that.
Both CC and OC have there advantages and I thing everybody has to decide by himself whether he wants to use CC and it's simplicity and ease of use or OC and it's (sort of) realism.

#78 computercraftprogrammer

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Location$house->Earth->MilkyWay->Universe;

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

Here are some possibly good points about OC
  • It has persistance, which makes it better to return to whatever you were doing.
  • It has RAM limits, which I personally find really helpful, because it pushes me towards creating more efficient programs that use the least amount of RAM as possible.
  • It is open source, which makes it really nice for modifying, and distributing your own versions. So if I wanted to low the RAM limits for example, I could do that, and distribute it.
  • It has server racks, which hold 4 computers in a single block. And say if you wanted storage servers, 3x T3 4MB HDD makes 12 MB of storage, which could be used for datacenters in servers.
  • The developer plans to add colored wires, which can make a better compact datacenter.
  • It stops against port sniffing.
Bad points
  • Its harder to learn the mod and programming on OC compared to CC, though the file structure is similar to Linux.
  • The mod uses power sources, which makes it harder for survival, which I personally don't mind.
  • The wires to communicate can't go through unloaded chunks (There may be a mod, but Immibis's peripherals can do so)

Edited by UMayBleed, 05 August 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#79 !!!!!!!!!!ExclaimationMark

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:09 AM

Csstform, on 17 June 2014 - 08:05 PM, said:

Slash0mega, on 06 June 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

wiki's on the github: https://github.com/M...Computers/wiki/
OCD(oc).cil.li also works.

#80 Alice

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, on 11 August 2014 - 01:09 AM, said:

Csstform, on 17 June 2014 - 08:05 PM, said:

OCD(oc).cil.li also works.
Speaking of the new wiki, the old one will no longer be updatd. Just a small warning for those who enjoyed using the other wiki.
Here is a link to the wiki. I'm unsure of why you decided to format yours the way you did. OpenComputers Documentation I think is what it's supposed to be, not OCD OpenComputers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users