User Name Origin/Backstory

56 replies to this topic

#21 Abahu

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

My username is really quite simple. I usually go with DiemCarpe, which is the phrase Carpe Diem flipped, but since about a year ago I've been using Abahu. Abahu is my Hebrew name, which is a name that Jews receive during their Brit Milah (I shan't post what that means because it's not the most PG thing out there. If you really want to know, you can look it up.) I took a liking to this name, and so I started using it. It's usually not taken, so I use it. To be fair, DiemCarpe usually isn't either, but Abahu is more... me. It's not me shrouded by a fake name, it's actually me. That's why I like my name.

#22 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

I've probably told this story way too many times but it's not a bad one. In my last year of high school, my parents organized work experience in a plant-functional genomics lab, which is where they worked at the time. The lab was devoted to mapping the genome of grain plants, particularly finding sequences related to responding to abiotic stresses, like drought, soil salinity, frost and so on.

My job was preparing barley grains for PCR (I occasionally got to run the PCR as well, but not often). As the proteins denature at room temperature, we kept the grains frozen at below -80C. I would fill up a little esky with several liters of liquid nitrogen, throw in a few dozen test tubes of barley grains, then take it to my desk and smash them in a mortar and pestle, using more N2 to keep them frozen. What I found while I was working is although I'd use gloves with the mortar and pestle, I'd often have a hard time opening test tubes with them so I'd scoop them out of the liquid with my bare hands.

Hence, nitrogen fingers.

My next job was working in a freezer in a supermarket so my hands really didn't catch a break until I graduated uni. It's a miracle I still have all my fingers, really.

#23 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

MudkipTheEpic, on 23 December 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

The Mudkip part of my surname is pretty obvious.

However, the Epic part of my surname comes from when I was just a wee lad, and obsessed with the word "epic." I overused it so much it was starting to get annoying. When I picked this surname, I thought it would be funny to reference my past.

The "The" is just there because I needed to make my username make sense. MudkipEpic doesn't make much sense, now does it.
Just want to say, Mudkip, congratz on grabbing that "Resident Necromancer" title. I wanted it...

Mine, I'm not explaining. oeed, will you explain yours?

#24 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

nitrogenfingers, on 24 December 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

It's a miracle I still have all my fingers, really.
Gosh, it really is!

awsmazinggenius, on 24 December 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

oeed, will you explain yours?

http://www.computerc...post__p__157898

#25 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

oeed, on 24 December 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

Sorry, skimmed through the thread and didn't see that!
EDIT: You can change your forum display name, however it will be recorded in a viewable but sorta hidden place that your name was once oeed, if you want to change it.
The link to do that hold be here:
http://www.computerc...rea=displayname

Edited by awsmazinggenius, 24 December 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#26 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

awsmazinggenius, on 24 December 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

EDIT: You can change your forum display name, however it will be recorded in a viewable but sorta hidden place that your name was once oeed, if you want to change it.

Yea, I'll change when/if I change my MC name.

#27 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:32 AM

oeed, on 24 December 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

awsmazinggenius, on 24 December 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

Yea, I'll change when/if I change my MC name.
They are working on it (and they already are, they implemented a UUID system for tracking bans, the last 4 characters (0-9 a-f) of the UUID associated with the MC account named "oeed" are 4932). But they might make it a paid thing, where you might have to pay 5 bucks or whatever.

#28 6677

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Mine, turn up at school in year 7, get given a card with computer username and password. Happened to be 6677 however now I tend to use SixSixSevenSeven instead.

#29 bentallea

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

Last name and initials, but had to sound like a clever username

#30 Anavrins

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

Mine must be at least 12 years old, my friend had proposed me a username called "Alcaida" which sounded really nice to me at the time, but after being banned from several MMORPGs, I later got the knowledge that it was derived from "Al-Qaeda".
So because of that, I was in a search of a new username.
One day when I was wearing a Nirvana t-shirt, I looked in the mirror and saw "Anavrin", and decided to go with that.

tl;dr, it's Nirvana backward.

Edited by Anavrins, 25 December 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#31 ikke009

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationSliding between sunbeams

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

hmm my username is like 9 or 10 years old i think.. basicly when my friends (usernames ikke106 and ikke10 7) convinced me to play runescape back in 2004 or so i tried to get the username ikke108, which was taken. so was ikke109, but the game reccomended the nickname ikke009 to me, so i went with that :P
i use ikke106 as a second username when i need it though.

ikke is kinda a wordplay from the dutch word ik, which translates to "me". needless to say i was very young at the time..

whenever i need a "cooler" nickname for rpg's or whatever i just pick names from my favorite fantasy books (a song of ice and fire series, inheritance series, a wheel of time series)

#32 RatcheT2497

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hmmm....

Well, on Minecraft, i was commonly known as Ratchet501, Ratchet because i was a huge fan of Ratchet and Clank (and i still am), and i have no idea what the 501 meant. But, after i logged into a server, i saw a Czech youtuber with the name MenT97. I really liked that name at the time, soo, with how "creative" i am, i changed it to RatcheT2497... Ha. Ha. Ha. *sigh*

#33 Wiiplay123

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

In May of 2008, when the Wii was a new console and stuff, I made a Roblox account named Wiiplay.

A couple years later, I made a steam account, but Wiiplay was taken. I then proceeded to try Wiiplay123! It worked, and that has been my username for everything ever since.

#34 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

Interesting thread.

The backstory to my username? It's what my little sister called me when she was around two or three. Guess it just has sentimental value. Most people tend to assume that I'm from Texas or something, which is not the case :)

#35 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

Typo on CoC. Paid money, didn't want to restart, so I kept it. I like it, and now use it on most accounts.

#36 rhyleymaster

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:03 AM

I thought it seemed cool. I've used it for plenty of years now... 9 - 11 years now

I don't really remember how I came up with it. I was 14, at a public library (since the internet at home was Dial-Up at the time.) and I was making some account for a game website which i forgot. I'm pretty sure my older brother gave me the idea when I was there. It started as Rhyleymaster14 since that website made me use numbers (policies...), but later, when I made my steam account to play Counter Strike, it changed to just Rhyleymaster. And here I am today. Thanks 2003ish time when I made this name!

Edit: LOL Computer deleted the backstory!!!

Edited by rhyleymaster, 09 January 2014 - 03:08 AM.

#37 Symmetryc

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

Csstform, on 08 January 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

Typo on CoC. Paid money, didn't want to restart, so I kept it. I like it, and now use it on most accounts.
Thought is was a play on words with CSS (style sheet language) :P

Edited by Symmetryc, 09 January 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#38 Zambonie

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationSpring Hill, Fl

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

I have a short history of usernames.

Spoiler
^

The first username is just the first three letters of my acutual name, Patrick. When I was registering an account for my first time, (When I was like 8ish) It required me to add in some numbers.I just picked some numbers, and decided to just press 456. Instead, I pressed 457, and I just kept it like that w/out noticing a day later.

My second username is just cause I got bored of the first username, and I wanted something new. This is the first username I thought of, so I just went w/ it.

The third username, Troll, is just me playing around. I was bored, and thought if there was a username 'Troll' taken on the forums. It seemed like it would, so I just checked for the heck of it by changing my username. It wasnt taken, so I just took it.

My 4'th username which most people on servers and skype refer to me today is Zambonie. I was just watching a random snapshot review for 1.3.2 by ChimneySwift(I think), He said something about zombies, which I think there more harder and faster. Then, Out of now were he was just playing around w/ them, and if im pretty sure, he mispronounced zombie. It came out something like Zambonie, And he said he decided to call them that casue it was a cool name, though never did. So then, when I joined my first CC server were I may change nicks in, Mudkips Old server, I wanted to change my nick from PAT457 to something else. I was comming along w/ ideas, And I thought Zombie. It looked and sounded to plain though. I remember then 'Zambonie', Which I guess I use. Every server Im on nowadays I have the nick Zambonie, And since im just used to using this nick alot, I might use it here
So that, is the backstory of my nicks.

#39 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

Symmetryc, on 09 January 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

Csstform, on 08 January 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

Thought is was a play on words with CSS (style sheet language) :P/>
Ha! That would be funny! Maybe I should go learn that... Lol

#40 deleted

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

My username is quite simple actually, Since Ethan A. G is my full name i just squashed it together but that was when i got Minecraft back in 1.2, When i was about 12 I chose Ethan690Boss for a username but of course there was a character limit so i had to chose Ethan90Boss. 690 came from my friend, and I loved using the word 'Boss', so thats the origin of my name, I just had a odd history with names being around the same though :P, Im sure some of yours are more interesting. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users