Turtle Architect v2.0, the ULTIMATE turtle planning/construction/3D-printer software.

150 replies to this topic

#21 Sam_Starfall

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

well, everything seems to be working better......but I have a question, when you fixed it did you reverse the direction the turtle starts in? the reason I ask is because the first time I started the program the turtle headed out in the direction it was facing. now it seams to left face then head out. I didn't change anything unless you have a setting I am not aware of for that. I thank you for your help. I will put the house I did in pastebin tomorrow and place a post here for it.

#22 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:45 AM

My earlier explanation was wrong, the turtle always builds x+(right on canvas) and z+(left on canvas). I really gotta get to work on that tutorial.

#23 Sam_Starfall

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

ok two things what do you mean by right and left on canvas? and I am getting an error "Bios:339:[string "arch"];1854:'name' expected when i start the program by the way I have been calling your program "arch" . Also the ender chest option does not seem to be working. it gets the chest then breaks it without taking anything out.

here is my first blueprint pastebin.com/cLQRwzQH

Edited by Sam_Starfall, 17 January 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#24 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

Somehow I hadn't seen this yet, it looks very nice. Well done!

#25 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:18 AM

Sorry about that, the enderchest is something im working on, but i sometimes forget to use the dev build when coding lol. Whops, i mean down obviously, not left. The canvas is the area you draw on so
---->x+
|cccc
|cccc
|cccc
vcccc
Z+

Get it?

The program name dosen't matter, it gets this automatically and functions accordingly.

Also, your house is in the old format?

Edit: Enderchest feature is done now: It requires openPeripherals, and the slots in it are directly mirrored to the ones the turtle uses. So if the turtle needs blocks for slot 1-5, he'll check slot 1-5 in the enderchest for blocks. Fuel may be put in slot 17-27.
Note that these features require you to update cTurtle, just delete it and run TA again.

Edited by CometWolf, 18 January 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#26 Agoldfish

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • LocationSome Fish Bowl in Ohio.

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

DO WANT. Getting it now!

#27 Sam_Starfall

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Also, your house is in the old format? (I did it in the old format but ran it thru the conversion program you wrote)

Edit: Enderchest feature is done now: It requires openPeripherals, and the slots in it are directly mirrored to the ones the turtle uses. So if the turtle needs blocks for slot 1-5, he'll check slot 1-5 in the enderchest for blocks. Fuel may be put in slot 17-27.
Note that these features require you to update cTurtle, just delete it and run TA again.

can you still use the program without openPeripherals? just by not using the ender chest?

#28 Bab

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

Great program, I love it. One question: How do you select what blocks are already built?
Also, here's a list of things you can improve:
Fill tool crashes with a too long without yielding.
Selecting a brush size larger than one and then moving the canvas with the arrow keys will colour squares at the wrong position.
Add a function to draw shapes, e.g. circles, squares, triangles, lines
I'll add more when I find them.

Edit:
Selector functions like paste and copy are really wonky. For example, cutting doesn't actually cut, just copy. Placing what you just pasted requires you to select a different tool.
Moving layers simply doesn't work (drew something at x 100 and z 100, y 1, tried moving it to y 25 and it just disappeared)
Allowing us to change the scale on the monitors would be great too.

Edited by Bab, 19 January 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#29 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

View PostSam_Starfall, on 18 January 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

can you still use the program without openPeripherals? just by not using the ender chest?
Yeah, that should work just fine.

View PostBab, on 19 January 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Fill tool crashes with a too long without yielding.
Im aware of this one, haven't gotten around to looking into it yet though.

Selecting a brush size larger than one and then moving the canvas with the arrow keys will colour squares at the wrong position.
Thanks, fixed now.

Add a function to draw shapes, e.g. circles, squares, triangles, lines
Squares are already in, lines seems somewhat redundant as i can't actually show you the line before you draw it. Thus you're probably better off just drawing the line by hand.
as for circles, it's been suggested, and i want to do it. Dunno when though. Triangles are a maybe for now, dunnow how hard that would be.

Selector functions like paste and copy are really wonky. For example, cutting doesn't actually cut, just copy. Placing what you just pasted requires you to select a different tool.
You're using it wrong. Mark an area, then select cut/copy, then you can just drag the copy around. When you want to place it, right click again and chose paste.
I'll get around to doing a tutorial eventually :P

Moving layers simply doesn't work (drew something at x 100 and z 100, y 1, tried moving it to y 25 and it just disappeared)
Fixed :)

Also i've been working on some changes to cTurtle today, so it might be a good idea to update it. (that means delete it and run TA again)

Edited by CometWolf, 19 January 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#30 Bab

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

How would you point out what blocks are already built? Trying to expand my house with this.

#31 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

You can either mark the entire blueprint as built in the blueprint menu, or the entire layer in the layer menu. Or if you're drawing the entire thing anyway, enable built mode in the settings.

Edited by CometWolf, 19 January 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#32 Bab

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

That was what I meant, how does built mode actually work?

#33 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

like the windows says when you enable it
"This mode will allow you to draw blocks the turtle will consider already built, thus skipping them."
This means the blocks you draw while the mode is active, will not be built when the blueprint is constructed by a turtle. These blocks will remain this way, until you either draw over them while built mode is off or mark the layer they're on as not built.

#34 Bab

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

Okay, thank you. This makes me think of another possible improvement: mark the squares that the program considers built somehow, as (at least in grid mode) you cannot see which squares are marked as built. Of course, the user could use a separate colour, but that would limit the amount of colours available. I would like to add that the program is very well made otherwise and most certainly comes in very handy.

Edited by Bab, 19 January 2014 - 05:53 PM.

#35 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

That's actually a good idea, something akin to grid mode, but perhaps with "b" instead of "+". I'll look into it tomorrow.

Edited by CometWolf, 19 January 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#36 Sam_Starfall

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

OK, so the server shut down in the middle of this large build and I can't get the program to restart where it left off so i finished the layer it was working on and decided to start with the next layer but I can't get the turtle to realin with the project even thou I start it in the same location with all the same options and everything. So if possible can you make it easier to restart a project if it gets interrupted? Also it still says No GPS even when I have a computer right next to it and it comes up fine there.

#37 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

When using the recovery feature you have to start the turtle up from where he stopped. Otherwise he should go to the origin point and begin building again. You're sure you input the GPS data correctly? I'll have a look into the GPS later, as it's been acting weird for me too(thinks it's restarted even when it hasn't). I never actually use the GPS myself though, but could i get a picture of your setup, and some more details on what exactly happened when you tried to recover?

#38 Sam_Starfall

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

thats the thing about two changes ago the edit,resume or erase used to pop up but now it doesn't show up and the blueprint is gone from memory, the file is there but not loaded in the program. what do you need from the set-up as I am not sure what your looking for. Also what direction should the turtle be facing for proper alignment, I have tried different facings but keep getting inconsistent outcomes.

Success, Success !!!!

I Found the right combination of position, GPS data, Location and facing so that the turtle restarted the construction exactly where it was supposed to. if I knew how I would post a picture for you to see.

Edited by Sam_Starfall, 20 January 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#39 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostBab, on 19 January 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

Okay, thank you. This makes me think of another possible improvement: mark the squares that the program considers built somehow, as (at least in grid mode) you cannot see which squares are marked as built.
Added, try the new render built mode :)

View PostSam_Starfall, on 20 January 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

thats the thing about two changes ago the edit,resume or erase used to pop up but now it doesn't show up and the blueprint is gone from memory, the file is there but not loaded in the program. what do you need from the set-up as I am not sure what your looking for. Also what direction should the turtle be facing for proper alignment, I have tried different facings but keep getting inconsistent outcomes.
Fixed! I forgot to rename some variables after doing some internal name changes. Sorry about that.
I didn't notice this myself as it was only affecting advanced turtles. I use regular for building :P

View PostSam_Starfall, on 20 January 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Also what direction should the turtle be facing for proper alignment, I have tried different facings but keep getting inconsistent outcomes.
Provided the direction data is correct, the turtle will always build the same way regardless of what way he's facing.

---->x+
|cccc
|cccc
|cccc
vcccc
Z+

As for the GPS, i dunno man it works fine on my end. I'll have to see your setup. Send me the server IP and i'll come check it out sometime.

Edit: after some testing, i found a bug related to the coordinates. The turtle would begin building 2 blocks in each direction from the origin point, instead of 1 as intended. This has been fixed.

Edited by CometWolf, 20 January 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#40 Kyperion

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

This might be just me, but the scan function doesn't seem to work? I get a "attempt to perform arithemic on string" message

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users