ComputerCraft Peripherals - What do you want to see?

peripheral

30 replies to this topic

#1 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

Hello community!

Lately I have been getting into Minecraft modding thanks to Bubba's tutorial, and my creativity isn't on it's highest level. I am wondering what the community want's to see as a peripheral, and since I really have nothing to code at the moment though I'm developing a mod, but I'm waiting for 1.7.x mcp to come out and work further on that mod.
But in the meantime, Im just sitting here, browsing a bit and listening some music, but I really badly want to code. So my question, yet again, what kind of peripheral do you want to see made for computercraft?

You can make any suggestion here, for a peripheral mod that is, and I might look into making it possible to make it. It's challenge for me, because I am expecting hard peripherals to make, and Im looking forward to it.

Im going to try, if the interest lies here for the community, to maintain a list for what not to suggest anymore, because Im working on it.

Removed those two spoilers due to useless-ness. You will see what comes in the add-on peripheral update post

How stupid this may sound, but a test week is upcoming for me, so I wont work much on it this week, but I figured it will take a while before the suggestions come.

Thanks for time, and if you are very, very creative, please leave a name for a "Misc Peripheral" mod. I dont want to use MiscPeripherals, because it already exists :P

Let the suggestions come!
- Engineer

Edited by Engineer, 21 February 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#2 gollark8

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

Here's a name:XtraPeripherals
Peripheral ideas-Something to control/monitor IC/BC/TE machines,3D printer using some material to make stuff.

#3 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

View Postgollark8, on 11 January 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

Peripheral ideas-Something to control/monitor IC/BC/TE machines,3D printer using some material to make stuff.
Hmm.. I will think about the name. Sounds good though.

For the monitoring, we already have OpenPeripheral for that, it may seem buggy (Im not sure if its buggy, I dont use OpenP personally), but should work. Or do you mean a "better" way of getting it and maybe a whole different system for it?

And 3D printer, how would that work? I mean really, that opens a few ways to be griefing on servers. I would like some more information on this one.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

This suggestion is not added to any list yet because I want you to get it more explained

Edited by Engineer, 11 January 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#4 gollark8

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostEngineer, on 11 January 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

View Postgollark8, on 11 January 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

Hmm.. I will think about the name. Sounds good though.

For the monitoring, we already have OpenPeripheral for that, it may seem buggy (Im not sure if its buggy, I dont use OpenP personally), but should work. Or do you mean a "better" way of getting it and maybe a whole different system for it?

And 3D printer, how would that work? I mean really, that opens a few ways to be griefing on servers. I would like some more information on this one.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

This suggestion is not added to any list yet because I want you to get it more explained
Something that you put in a material like plastic to make certain items.

#5 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

Name? Useful Peripherals

A peripheral that can shoot items like a dispenser with varying speed - right now my main usage I can think of is a "machine bow."

A turtle add-on that allows them to move faster.

Regarding the 3D Printer above, I believe he means similar to EE2's Transmutation Tablets(idk) you can make different things, however you would require a set item to run it - i.e. Plastic. This peripheral would also require another peripheral that will scan an item and save a blueprint as a .schem file or something. Example: copy a diamond pickaxe, you can now print plastic pickaxes. It will be the same colors, but made out of plastic.

EDIT: bad vid :P What Dan did with the turtles!

Edited by Csstform, 11 January 2014 - 05:50 PM.

#6 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Just for your information, I'm making a villager trading peripheral, an XP peripheral (hopefully a better one) and a Skin Getting peripheral. (User right clicks and it throws an event with a table containing the skin in either CC (colors.x in a table), RGB or hex format). If you want you can make those peripherals, just tell me (so I don't continue working on them). As for the source - it's really messy and nowhere near complete, so I won't be giving it out.

Edited by awsmazinggenius, 11 January 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#7 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

Something that can move the player around. I could do so much stupid shit with a turtle that can move players around.

#8 gollark8

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostCometWolf, on 12 January 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

Something that can move the player around. I could do so much stupid shit with a turtle that can move players around.
I would actually like to see a mountable turtle.

#9 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostCsstform, on 11 January 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

A peripheral that can shoot items like a dispenser with varying speed - right now my main usage I can think of is a "machine bow."
Hmm. I actually see something in this. It will shoot like a dispenser would, though you can select a slot in the peripheral to shoot that item if there is one. About the variable speed, that is where you as coder should use timings :P

Added to the list :)

View PostCsstform, on 11 January 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

Regarding the 3D Printer above, I believe he means similar to EE2's Transmutation Tablets(idk) you can make different things, however you would require a set item to run it - i.e. Plastic. This peripheral would also require another peripheral that will scan an item and save a blueprint as a .schem file or something. Example: copy a diamond pickaxe, you can now print plastic pickaxes. It will be the same colors, but made out of plastic.
Hmm.. That's interesting. The idea with this explanation makes it about complete.

Its on the list!

How would a computer be needed to do that? I mean, this should be a peripheral :P

Edited by Engineer, 12 January 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#10 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Think of it this way. When you create the schematic, you can print it off using a printer, or put it on a disk for your friends. It doesn't need to be a peripheral, but it would be more versatile as one.

Another idea, how about a clock? I know this is a simple thing to program, but this clock could have special functions such as clock.getTime() where a turtle could get a signal from a computer via rednet at a certain time of the day. The clock would show the player normal time(1-12) where as the computer could pull that as military time(0100-2400)

EDIT: more peripherals:
What about a projector? Not sure how feasible that is...

What about a lapel mic system? Kindof like a private chat. Besides, it would be cool to be running around in a suitcoat w/ mic and some cool Glasses (openperipherals)

Remote control tank?

Safe. ( safe.unlock(password), safe.lock(password))

Hacking device (hack.tryPass(password), hack.tryTillUnlock())

Diamond Computer/Monitors - seriously, who wouldn't want a diamond computer :D

Edited by Csstform, 13 January 2014 - 12:56 AM.

#11 gollark8

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

@Csstform
I would like a diamond computer that looks nice.

Edited by gollark8, 13 January 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#12 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:25 AM

View PostCsstform, on 12 January 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

Diamond Computer/Monitors - seriously, who wouldn't want a diamond computer :D

I think if anyone was to make a mod for CC it'd have to be diamond computers. CCLights proved that it was possible. I'm sure there's probably issues but it'd be awesome!

Edited by oeed, 15 January 2014 - 04:26 AM.

#13 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:22 AM

View Postoeed, on 15 January 2014 - 04:25 AM, said:

I think if anyone was to make a mod for CC it'd have to be diamond computers. CCLights proved that it was possible. I'm sure there's probably issues but it'd be awesome!

How exactly did CCLights prove that?

#14 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Well, it showed that large amounts of pixels could be displayed.

#15 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

[spoiler name=Wooden Turtle]
http://www.computerc...-wooden-turtle/
[/spoiler]

#16 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Im creating peripherals for CC. Im not recreating any turtles or computers!

#17 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

Csstfrom, you use the named spoilers like this here:
[namedspoiler="Howdy"]
Stuff goes here
[/namedspoiler]
makes this:
Howdy

#18 dudearent006

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

A peripheral that could link to a player and allow access not only to the player's position, but the direction the player is looking in.

I want to make an Augmented Reality system with terminal glasses or some sort of player mapping/location logging system. Optionally also make it work with turtles so you can make them follow you. So many uses!

#19 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

View Postdudearent006, on 20 January 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

A peripheral that could link to a player and allow access not only to the player's position, but the direction the player is looking in.

I want to make an Augmented Reality system with terminal glasses or some sort of player mapping/location logging system. Optionally also make it work with turtles so you can make them follow you. So many uses!

Ohhhhhhh! Lightbulb!

Yes, how about some virtual reality goggles? I can see it being a big step for games. Take the 3D maze that someone released - Gopher? - and imagine how much cooler that would be if you could actually be in the game! This could possibly even allow FPS games! (sortof) Peripheral wise, call it the Oculous Stone and have it attach to your terminal glasses. Then, all you would have to do is add an API - for either mirroring a computer screen or something - and have it act as a pumpkin does. If that's not possible, can you somehow make it read a file, create a new dimension, and build the virtual world? Then we could truly have minecraft in minecraft! :D

#20 gollark8

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

Some portable satnav that can interact with a remote computer to get player GPS coords would be great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users