Thaumcraft Research Helper

8 replies to this topic

#1 Oose

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

This is an application I made to make using the Thaumcraft mod a bit easier. I'm not very good at remembering the aspects of magic in Thaumcraft so this application helps to make it a bit easier.

The graphical application lists out aspects of magic, with their descriptions and their recipes. The application requires an advanced computer. It's ordered alphabetically and colour coded. It shows it's own recipe, as well as the recipes of it's components. The aspects are programmed in using a form, so it doesn't spoil your Thaumcraft experience. It's also convenient in case any more aspects are added to the mod, and you discover them. You can place a monitor on top of the computer and it'll display the recipe on the monitor. I've only tried it with 2 width, 1 height monitors. It's programmed in as top of the computer but you can change it by editing the side near the top of the code.

The form is pretty simple and was built after most of the main tool was complete. The directories of the aspect files are hardcoded, but it's written as the first lines of code in both application if you want to change them. The description of the aspect is optional. It can take a few minutes to program in all the aspects, but I didn't want the file to be static for everyone. The fun of Thaumcraft is discovering new things and I wouldn't want to ruin that. Colours of the theme are also in the application file, near the top of the code if you want to change it to match your own data.

Downloads on pastebin:
Thaumcraft Research Helper
http://pastebin.com/YBtPWJ5g
Aspect Entry Form
http://pastebin.com/dfULH8xZ

To use the programs:
Create a directory "thaumhelper" in the computer root.
Create directories "recipes" and "descriptions" in the "thaumhelper" directory.
Put the two applications anywhere on the computer to run them.

You'll need to program in the aspects manually, including the 6 primal aspects.

Heres a video showing how it works:

#2 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

I haven't used Thaumcraft much really, but this looks amazing!

It looks really nice and easy to use, well done!

#3 Symmetryc

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

Very nice :)

Btw, no need for colList, there is already an variable within default CC called "colors" which is the exact same thing :P

#4 Oose

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:04 AM

The colList was there for translating a string from the text file into a colour to be used by the program. I couldn't figure out how to get something like colors.lightBlue from a text file, except for storing it as an integer (which I didn't want to do).

#5 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:38 AM

View PostOose, on 21 January 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

The colList was there for translating a string from the text file into a colour to be used by the program. I couldn't figure out how to get something like colors.lightBlue from a text file, except for storing it as an integer (which I didn't want to do).
Fair enough. In future, however, you could try something along the lines of this. Not that there's really anything wrong with having a list though.

local yourColour = colours.red --the colour your wanting to get the name of
local colourName = 'black' --you could do something else, but as a fall back
for name, value in pairs(colours) do
    if value == yourColour then
	    colourName = name
	    break
    end
end

#6 Symmetryc

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

View PostOose, on 21 January 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying, but you could just use "color[line]" or "in pairs(color) do" over creating your own table.

#7 Treyzania

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

View PostOose, on 20 January 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

*video*

This is probably one of the best tutorials for anything that I've seen in a long time. Also, this is a very, very well designed program.

#8 Maxiride

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

This program is awesome, haven't seen a really usefull and well made program since a long time =)

#9 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaay! Necro! But, nice program. It gives me ideas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users