Minecraft Versions, ComputerCraft & CommandBlock Ideas

11 replies to this topic

#1 augustas656

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:27 AM

ComputerCraft is very soon going to be updates to minecraft version 1.7, you can read thoughts on the 163 update of ComputerCraft of the news page. Dan200 mentions porting this mod into 1.7 the very day he posted the thought. Minecraft 1.7.2 is an extremely large update, people say and it is likely to be true that the update had over a million lines of code changed. Minecraft has not yet updated to version 1.8, but it's likely to update very soon. I know this mod hasn't even updated to 1.7, yet I still speak of 1.8? Well, I am extremely excited about the incredible things you will be able to do once this mod works with 1.8. With 1.8, scoreboards, commands and command blocks already give you the ability to create literally, simple mods for minecraft. Eventhough they are in-game.

I hope that the version of ComputerCraft compatitable with 1.8 will arrive sooner than it has been with minecraft's version 1.7. I'm going to point out some things of how computers will be able to work with command blocks, scoreboards to create incredible things, unlimited possibilites. The only disadvantage is lag, if you want to build a very powerful system running 200 commands every second, 10 commands every tick to make a TV screen out of coloured wool (falling sand entity) it will be laggy for some, but there's always room for finding more efficient ways of doing things.

I have thought of two big advantages of how computers will be able to make minecraft adventure map making incredible with command blocks, perhaps there are more, but I will give two main things that I have thought of.
  • Computers will be able to do all the calculation, and instead of using millions of command blocks, you will now just have to use a single command block. Although I am unsure of running multiple commands at the same time, I have tried to seek out information if it's possible, and I believe it definetely is.
  • Computers will allow modifying the command to be executed by variables, so the input for set command, or run command is a string. You can use the .. and a variable name. For example, you'd be able to create a system that tests for the most exact direction of where the player is facing, and then shoot a projectile entity there.
When this mod updates to 1.8, where you are able to check entities by the @e statement in the command block, you will be able to create databases of entities, arrays, containing the entity id and name for example, then you may use this in a much more compact way. You will be able to use loops to search the table much faster than command blocks where you need to use 1-tick clocks.

What I really want to do is create a database of entities and allow having a staff to shoot a snowball entity which is followed by a wither skull, and that specific snowball when it smashes, as the wither skull stops moving, it will be detected, and depending on the snowball's spell value, it will do that effect in that area and delete the wither skull afterwards. The wither skull being like a marker.

#2 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

Why use FallingSand when you have /setblock? Also, I think Forge and CC will happen much faster for 1.8 then 1.7, as 1.8 has less changes. I'm still waiting for that official mod API though. (Come on, Mojang!)

#3 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

There already is a beta for 1.7.2 ;)

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 26 April 2014 - 05:28 PM, said:

Why use FallingSand when you have /setblock? Also, I think Forge and CC will happen much faster for 1.8 then 1.7, as 1.8 has less changes. I'm still waiting for that official mod API though. (Come on, Mojang!)
Forge is good enough, isnt it?

#4 augustas656

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

Falling sand, with falling sand entities you can do like 8 x 8 pixel screen in a single block's area, so like falling sand entity on co-ordinate of x 0.0, then 0.125, then 0.25, then 0.375, then 0.5, then 0.625, then 0.75, then 0.875. Now you have 8 pixels, 8 different blocks set along in a single block. You can do 16 pixels, 9 pixels, 11 pixels, 300 pixels, but the more pixels the laggier.

#5 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

I'm talking about having "plugins" right on Minecraft.net, so more users will see them and potentially download your mod.

But yes, Forge is nice, except half of the friends that I play with will only use the default mods on some Technic Launcher pack (so then I have to make a custom pack if I want to use a certain mod), or need help every time they want to get a Forge mod.

#6 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

Nowadays it's easier to install forge: there is no messing with jars involved. Except the installer is a jar, but I don't counnt that :P

In the past you used the misplaced, modloaderMP or something and forge. That was a very annoying way of installing mods, so the current is awesome when you compare it to the past

#7 Symmetryc

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:34 AM

View PostEngineer, on 26 April 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 26 April 2014 - 05:28 PM, said:

Forge is good enough, isnt it?
With the official API, you won't have to update the mod when Minecraft itself updates though...

#8 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:52 AM

And it will rain gumdrops, and every day you'll be given a fresh chest of gold to spend.

Personally I think Forge is about as good as it gets. I don't believe for a moment that whatever Mojang's planning will mean that mods won't ever need to be updated. Could it be set up that way? Sure, but the effort that'd require and the limitations that'd place on it mean it wouldn't be worthwhile.

I reckon you'll find that most of what you read about the fabled "MineCraft modding API" is the result of years of Chinese whispers, at best.

#9 augustas656

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

I'm sort of confused, what I meant by simple mods is that you can add features to minecraft without java programming IN-GAME, it's literally how far command blocks can go, and with computercraft it's even more incredible. But, that's not the main use of this, I'd like to make an RPG adventure map, and so many others would to, I personally think computercraft can extend how much you can do with just command blocks. You could even call it like a bug that computers can't get an analog output from command blocks, the way so many functions return true or false depending on the success of the function in computer API, it just seems wrong to me and very lacking that there's no true false for a command's execution. And it's one of the most amazing things command blocks can do.

The only reason I need the analog output, and what possibilities it could get is that the same way you can execute thousands of commands at the same time, what if you want to testfor for let's say the direction of a player in computercraft's future versions competitable with 1.8. And then shoot desired projectiles in the player's facing direction.

And seriously, you can use command blocks to control scoreboards, but to get them? How can you do that? It seems very lacking.
Regards
Augustas

#10 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

It seems like it would be easier to just write a mod to do what you're trying to do. You'd have a much easier debug process and far more flexibility and control over the whole thing, not to mention being able to bring in new art assets and effects.

#11 augustas656

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

I know java, I have looked into a very limited amount of mods, I can create crafting recipes, and an item, perhaps a block with all same sides. But, depends, it can be a real pain trying to find an area to study that will allow me to develop just that mod, unless if it's really simple. If it truly is very simple, perhaps I'll ask on minecraftforums modification development section, but if it's difficult, it's going to be a real pain, because everyone will tell me to learn from the start. But since minecraft has updated to 1.7.2 there are few very detailed tutorials, only like 6 video long tutorials that barely teach you a lot and they aren't too detailed.

And still, I don't want to learn how to make everything, that's the very reason I want to use command blocks rather than making my own mods, if I used java to make mods and had the courage I wouldn't need an analog output because everything that I can make from it I could just do using java and forge, minecraft coder pack.

If it's very simple, then I might perhaps ask people how I could. The requests section in minecraftforums, nobody looks into many ideas, it's rare for your mod to get developed even if it is very simple, and the thing I want most is a bit useless to most people who could do my request, idk, perhaps I should ask a computercraft addon maker?

Well, I'm not sure, but it's quite a frustration for me. xD

Regards
Augustas

#12 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

It's not going to be a simple endeavor regardless of whether you try to do it as a separate mod or as a command block abomination. It seems to me that, for a given amount of effort, you'd get much better results with an actual mod.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users