[WEBSITE] Death's Website!

59 replies to this topic

#21 Alice

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:05 AM

Just made a small bacon ipsum dolor stuff tacos thing to demonstrate the approx. size of the UL (Switched it.)

#22 ingie

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • LocationMannin

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

another thought...

the Links: and the Downloads: and Information: bits are superfluous really, as that is evident - and saying it twice detracts from the uncluttered style... and is tautological most of the time :)

I've seen some websites where it pretty much reads: "Welcome to the links page, on this page of links you'll find links to other pages"

Posted Image

:D

on the homepage, it should [and is on your design] obvious what to do next without saying "Links" - similarly on the others...

it's also bad practice in accessibility testing to have "click this" [or click here, or there, or anywhere] as it makes no sense for people using screen-readers etc... better to say "follow this link" or some other wording with the action tied semantically... but since that's inside the old-skool table based layout of espernet's own IFrame, there's not much you can do there... i say it here just to relieve the pain i feel in seeing it there :)

#23 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:51 AM

View Postingie, on 05 February 2014 - 03:42 AM, said:

I've seen some websites where it pretty much reads: "Welcome to the links page, on this page of links you'll find links to other pages"

-mem snip-
bahaha! that's awesome! :P

boy am I glad that I've had
1. a good education in usability
2. enough common sense
to know that stating what you wrote above is just stupid and superfluous.

Edited by theoriginalbit, 05 February 2014 - 03:53 AM.

#24 ingie

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • LocationMannin

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:54 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 05 February 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

2. enough common sense

huh?

as in: are you referring to me as stupid? i wouldn't expect so, but if so, i'd like to know why...
i'm hoping i'm just not getting the context of "what you wrote" correct :)

edit2: methinks i'm tired - i'm now guessing you meant the bit i cited as being stupid myself. i'll go to sleep now.

Edited by ingie, 05 February 2014 - 04:04 AM.

#25 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:27 AM

View Postingie, on 05 February 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

-snip-
yeah I wasn't calling you stupid.

#26 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:02 AM

Hmmm, where on earth have I see that font before :P

View PostDeath, on 05 February 2014 - 02:02 AM, said:

Totally didn't see that - sorry :D

Anything else you think I should add?
To be honest, I'm not keen on the outline around the buttons. It looks a bit 90's 'Windows 95' like. Also, add a bit of margin between them so they're not all clumped together.

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 05 February 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

View Postingie, on 05 February 2014 - 03:42 AM, said:

-mem snip-
bahaha! that's awesome! :P

boy am I glad that I've had
1. a good education in usability
2. enough common sense
Yep.
Simplicity/Ease of use > Pointless amounts of content.

Having your site covered in crap, e.g. this website (actually, it's not as bad as it used to be), makes the viewer confused leading them leave the website (or in the case of JB-HiFi's website, burn down every single store they have). Having a few simple buttons that are obvious as to where they go on a landing page makes your site easy to navigate, such as this site (not a fan of the 5 second back and forward video though). This approach works particuarly well for performers or people who mainly use social media.

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 04 February 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

As in when hovering the mouse over them they look different. Take a look at the links in the navigation on my site to see what I mean. btw if you do want to see how I've done something on my site it'll be easier if you look through the repo than trying to explore the source in the browser.

You might want to considering making the font size a bit larger/change to 'Light' instead of 'Ultra Light', the navbar text doesn't look great for me (a non-Retina MacBook Pro).
Posted Image
Readability is paramount for navigation bars.

#27 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:10 AM

View Postoeed, on 05 February 2014 - 05:02 AM, said:

You might want to considering making the font size a bit larger/change to 'Light' instead of 'Ultra Light', the navbar text doesn't look great for me (a non-Retina MacBook Pro).
Posted Image
hmm doesn't quite look like that on mine (also non-Retina) I'll have a play with the font weight. Sadly there's no middle ground between that, and this.

EDIT: okay so I played with my CSS a little more and it seems that there was 2 in-between those linked, I just had another rule overriding it. Got it now.

Edited by theoriginalbit, 05 February 2014 - 05:24 AM.

#28 Alice

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

When I get back to the computer today I'll make the following changes:
  • Bolder/Larger text on buttons
  • Better spacing between the buttons
  • Tinker button CSS
  • Remove/replace useless crap

#29 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

This doesn't seem to be ComputerCraft-related. General isn't just a place for free advertising.

#30 Alice

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

Most of the things I do will be ComputerCraft-related or based off ComputerCraft programs, such as the wolf3D engine I'm editing in love2D. I'll have to specify that in my 'Information' area for those who don't know me that well :D

#31 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 05 February 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

View Postoeed, on 05 February 2014 - 05:02 AM, said:

Posted Image
hmm doesn't quite look like that on mine (also non-Retina) I'll have a play with the font weight. Sadly there's no middle ground between that, and this.

EDIT: okay so I played with my CSS a little more and it seems that there was 2 in-between those linked, I just had another rule overriding it. Got it now.
On my Mac at least there's Helvetica Neue Thin, which is a middle ground between Light and UltraLight, I can never seem to access it with CSS. You could try uploading it and using an @font-face

View PostLyqyd, on 05 February 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

This doesn't seem to be ComputerCraft-related. General isn't just a place for free advertising.

"Discuss Anything and Everything Relating to Anything and Everything"

Edited by oeed, 05 February 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#32 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

About Lyqyd's comment: One thing that makes me wonder is that title oeed mentioned, maybe it needs to be changed.

#33 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Discuss, certainly. Advertise, no. If there hadn't been useful feedback given already, it would have gotten locked like previous topics advertising unrelated websites have been. There are a couple examples on the second page of topics.

#34 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

View Postoeed, on 05 February 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

On my Mac at least there's Helvetica Neue Thin, which is a middle ground between Light and UltraLight, I can never seem to access it with CSS. You could try uploading it and using an @font-face
I feel like I should point out that I'm using Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif. I never specifically specify Light UltraLight or Thin. I'm using font-weight to adjust the thickness, its currently sitting on 200. I don't like uploading fonts, 'cause if they take too long to download the webpage can look bad in the meantime; I prefer having just a system font and then similar looking fallbacks.

Edited by theoriginalbit, 05 February 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#35 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

I think the font looks a tiny bit too heavy on Windows.
Posted Image
Also, is it possible to just download the characters you need from Helvetica Neue (edit the font) so you aren't downloading a huge file, but still see it the same way across systems?

Edited by awsmazinggenius, 05 February 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#36 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 05 February 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

I think the font looks a tiny bit too heavy on Windows.
-image snip-
Also, is it possible to just download the characters you need from Helvetica Neue (edit the font) so you aren't downloading a huge file, but still see it the same way across systems?
nothing can be done. can't have it both ways. its either going to be readable on both system
probably, but since the entire website is in that font — consistency is another attribute of good usability — I'm going to go ahead and say that I'll need every character.

#37 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

(I think Helvetica Neue has accents) I meant stuff like accents, special characters (The never-used ones like section signs and the others) and the like. Unless you are going to have input boxes where the user can type those, you are pretty good leaving them out.

EDIT: Even if you do have input boxes, those are good places to use Helvetica, Arial and Sans-Serif, as Helvetica Neue is just a bit odd for one unless you make it thick, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Edited by awsmazinggenius, 05 February 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#38 Alice

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

So I was working on the website (reason for bump) and I can't seem to get the favicon.ico working on Firefox. I have it working in IE. Anyone mind testing in other browsers please?

#39 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

View PostDeath, on 05 February 2014 - 09:39 PM, said:

Anyone mind testing in other browsers please?
NB: local caches cleared before testing
no on Safari
yes on Firefox Mac
yes on Chrome Mac
yes on Opera Mac
NB: All that state yes above did not have favicon beside URL but instead on the tab.

Edited by theoriginalbit, 05 February 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#40 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

I'll test it in Chrome on OS X and later Windows, possibly Ubuntu too. And why a "bump"? You didn't double post and your post came only 5 minutes after mine :)

EDIT: Damn ninja :ph34r:
EDIT 2: Icon works with Chrome on OS X

Edited by awsmazinggenius, 05 February 2014 - 09:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users