Graphic Explorer for CraftOS

utility lua computer

25 replies to this topic

#1 Corona

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Hello everyone!

Since this is my first post in this forum, consider this also an introduction to myself; I'm 16, come from the lovely Austria (Not to be mistaken Australia) and am currently Studying at the TGM in Vienna.
But enough of me and more about a little project I am working on quite a long time on (exactly 2 weeks :P): My Computercraft Graphic Explorer
I wasn't sure if anything like this is out there or anything like this is currently in development, but since I'm a very rude and careless person I ignored that and coded one myself.

For all of you, who want a little backstory here is one:
As much as I love Computercraft, dan200 and CraftOS in the current version of 1.5 (i think it is), as much I hate the fact, that everything has to be typed with commands. I mean, yeah, DoS wasn't different and text operating systems are fine and dandy, but I wanted to freaking use my mouse!
So I started, with the computing skills I gathered till then, developing a visual user interface to interact with the system, much like the Finder in MacOS or the explorer in Windows and Linux do.

Now that you know the reason why I developed and still developing this piece of software, let's move on to the features:
  • Folder Switching
  • File Execution
  • A Context Menu via Rightklick with:
  • Execution
  • Editing
  • Copy
  • Paste (Only if something is in the clipboard)
  • Renaming
  • Delete
  • Realtime Clock (for changing the timezone and offset, you have to dig into the code for now :3)
  • Taskbar Menu (as of 0.5)
  • Automatic update routine, so that you get the latest the fastest! <-- NEW IN VERSION 0.32!
Screenshots:
Spoiler

If that didn't convince you, be sure to check it out at least!

PLEASE READ BEFORE CONTINUING:
You'll need the screen API too, also coded by myself. Just place it into "/apis/screen" or place it anywhere and then change the path in the explorer code (:

Thank's to Thib0704's suggestion and code, there is only the need for the explorer itself. Enjoy! (;

Pastebin Code for the Explorer: http://pastebin.com/SCv9r7y7
Pastebin Code for the Screen Api: http://pastebin.com/uRpaiUB3

Here just a few things said:
  • Please understand the my native language is German and my English does read wonky at some parts or even doesn't make sense. You are thankfully encouraged to point me to this mistakes, be it per Message or per Post (:
  • My Profile is just being deployed, as I wanted to Sign Up here waaaay earlier as did, so yeah, nothing to say about anything :P
  • You are welcome to add me as friend, because I am so excited to meet new people who like Lua and Computercraft as much as I do! (:

Edited by Corona, 17 April 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#2 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

Moved to Operating Systems.

#3 Himself12794

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

View PostLyqyd, on 15 February 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

Moved to Operating Systems.
Very good looking, will definitely try when I have a chance.

#4 Corona

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

Wow i thought this thread was dead before it even started to live! :D Thank you so much for looking into my project, even though, it's definetily not the best one (:

Although, there IS one known Bug right now: If you copy something into clipboard, then delete it and then try to paste the file, the explorer crashes with a "No such File" exception, but this is rather easy to fix so yeah ^^

#5 Thib0704

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • LocationgetServer().getPlayer("Thib0704").getLocation();

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

Nice design!
I do suggest adding this:
local screenAPI = "uRpaiUB3"
if fs.exists("/apis/screen") then
   local response = http.get("http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i="..screenAPI)
   local sResponse = response.readAll()
   fs.makeDir("/apis")
   fs.open("/apis/screen" ,"w").write(sResponse).close()
end

In your startup somewhere,
so people don't need to get the screen API themself.

#6 Corona

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hm i was thinking about implementing it anyway, but for now it's seperated, so this might be a very good idea! Still thank you all for testing this and giving suggestions, I couldn't be happier ^^

#7 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

If you do add that, you should change the if to use `if not fs.exists` so it will only download the file if necessary rather than on every startup.

#8 Corona

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

Yeah I did in fact change that and modified the code otherwise, but I'll still credit Thib0704 for the idea and initial code. And thank you Lyqyd for the moval and the suggestion (:

#9 misson20000

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

Screenshots?

#10 Corona

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:09 AM

I wasn't able to put in screenshots though I didn't have 3 posts back then, if it#s possible now, then some will follow shortly! (:

#11 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:12 AM

I really linke it :)

#12 Corona

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

I think it's been too silent around here, so I announce an upcoming update, that will probably make you consider using this ^^ Stay tuned! (;

EDIT: I'm having so much to do right now, that I cannot finish the 0.4 distibution of the explorer, which would make it pretty reliant and useful )): I hope anyone, who is still interested in this project, stays interested, because I really wanted to get into something with this forum :3

Edited by Corona, 05 March 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#13 Blue

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • LocationGlass/UX/main.lua

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

I love the style of this.Sort of like a mix between windows 8 and a file manager.One suggestion:the ability to change the background color because not everyone likes a dark void :)

#14 Corona

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

I'm currently working on my server, so this project is queued, but I did in fact consider an option menu. (: I'll rewrite the whole thing from scratch, because the code is messy as hell, but that'll take some time (:

#15 Blue

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • LocationGlass/UX/main.lua

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

i just got an idea: make this pocket computer compatible :o

#16 Corona

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

This is a great one! I'm currently working on an iOS-like Operating System for the pocket computers with Application hooking (so you can write your own apps and add it to the homescreen), but that is just in the prepreprepreprepreAlpha Phase, so yeah :DD

#17 CptBlank

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

Raaageee..

Look at this error......
Look!
bios:500: Domain not permitted! how to fix this huh?

#18 Corona

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

Wheeeeeeere? o.O
Of course there are errors, but I've never encountered this one...

How did it occur?

Edited by Corona, 22 April 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#19 CptBlank

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

i just first time downloaded the explorer as file-explorer
i did launched it
as soon as it launched the gui it showed error

#20 Corona

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

maybe you leave out the "-", I don't know the effects of non-character names in computercraft. Try it by naming the File "explorer" or something like this.
Furthermore, you have to have HTTP API enabled (Which I assume you have), otherwise it cannot download my screen API. It's still an Alpha build, so I apologize for the problems.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users