The Internet Project

22 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerCraftFan11

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:58 AM

This is a little project I'm working on, incase you haven't seen our programs (Rednet Explorer...), we are currently hiring.

Our goal is to make the best rednet Internet in minecraft. If you would like to help, post your IGN here. If you want to host a server, post your IGN and the IP: Got a 1.2.5 server...

Members
xXm0dzXx - Owner

Pro or not, we can teach you how and the basics.

#2 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:59 AM

im currently working on a DNS server network, right now i can send a simple message to a specific computer over a network of servers, it uses a network adress by using this ip adress type thing (dns database,town master controller,sub town server,computer id) requests for network ids are sent to the nearest dns database
IGN is in my sig, no caps

#3 ComputerCraftFan11

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:12 AM

View Postabc, on 15 May 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

im currently working on a DNS server network, right now i can send a simple message to a specific computer over a network of servers, it uses a network adress by using this ip adress type thing (dns database,town master controller,sub town server,computer id) requests for network ids are sent to the nearest dns database
IGN is in my sig, no caps

Join EricRandom's server, that's where this takes place. (If you want to help)

#4 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

could you give me a link? i searched it and it lead me to the minecraft forums and said an error occured

#5 ComputerCraftFan11

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

View Postabc, on 15 May 2012 - 02:37 AM, said:

could you give me a link? i searched it and it lead me to the minecraft forums and said an error occured

It's the post below this one...
IP:

75.1.215.38:25565

#6 papahj

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:12 AM

hello im kind of new to computer craft and i was wondering if i join the server can anyone help me learn how to program in computercraft because i am very interested in this project i just dont quite have the skill level to do it yet

#7 jcc10

• New Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:57 AM

IGN : jcc10

#8 strideynet

• New Members
  • 213 posts
  • LocationDistrict52

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:58 AM

Now just to assure you. There is 2 ways to do this!
Centralized and decentralized are your options
Centralized means you have a master server. This is easier to achieve. So it registers each new client and server.
Decentralized. Is no central server. Can be difficult but provides A more Internet like system!

#9 lu.LCat

• New Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationPocatello, ID

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

View Poststrideynet, on 16 July 2012 - 05:58 AM, said:

Centralized means you have a master server. This is easier to achieve. So it registers each new client and server.
Decentralized. Is no central server. Can be difficult but provides A more Internet like system!

Isn't the internet centralized nowadays?
Endusers connect to ISP's which connect to others.

So in theory, the internet is more centralized.

However, if you want to remove the ISP, which just makes money, then yes, the Internet is decentralized.

The problem is, that's not the case...

EDIT: I'm a fucking idiot.

#10 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

View Postlu.LCat, on 18 July 2012 - 03:47 AM, said:

View Poststrideynet, on 16 July 2012 - 05:58 AM, said:

Isn't the internet centralized nowadays?
Endusers connect to ISP's which connect to others.

So in theory, the internet is more centralized.

However, if you want to remove the ISP, which just makes money, then yes, the Internet is decentralized.

The problem is, that's not the case...

EDIT: I'm a fucking idiot.
the ISPs maintain the DNS servers and the cables connecting it to you
although there are things like opendns that arent maintained by ISPs
the only thing really centralized about the internet is the DNS servers

#11 ElvishJerricco

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:02 AM

It's interesting. The past two or three days i've been building a "decentralized" internet system in my game. The code is almost ready for actual constant connection use (the protocol is similar to TCP in that it keeps people connected). Next i'm building a more HTTP like protocol where a request is made, data is sent, and the connection then terminated. Computers are connected via routers that use the RP (rednet protocol; my fancy rename of IP) of the computer you're trying to connect to to determine where to send the message to next. If i add in a few security features, it will be possible to separate a leg of connections into its own impenetrable network. Oh and also one of the first programs i'm planning on writing for this internet is going to be a DNS server program so that users and programmers can use URLs if they've got a DNS server configured.

#12 Sxw

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationWhenever, Wherever!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

I want to join, im not the best, but i'm learning. (My stuffs:http://pastebin.com/u/Sxw1212)

#13 KillaVanilla

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

I'd like to help.

IGN: KillaVanilla

I know a bit of lua, but I'm still learning.

Also, a neat idea:
What if we could faciliate inter-server rednet internet? I can see how it would work:

1. A computer uses http.post() to send a message to a central server (separate from minecraft)
2. The central server logs the IP of the sending server, the ID of the sending computer, the IP/ID of the recieving server/computer (respectively), and the message and stores it all in a database.
3. The recieving computer can send a command to the server to list all incoming messages, and can send another command to retrieve a specific one.

I'm trying to write it in PHP, but I don't know any PHP. I'm literally learning only that which I need to make this happen.

#14 johnbanq

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationHongkong

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

IGN:johnbanq
i am also new to lua programming,still learning too........
also have a idea:
how about create something like a Internet encryption protocol or garbage message filter to make our rednet more safety
[so,while we are using LAN,the secret communication is unable to snoop,while we are using wireless net,the spamming message will not able to disturb the network]
PS:sorry for my english

#15 RemoteMine

• New Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIn a turtle.

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

IGN: RemoteMine
Experience: Know some about lua but rapidly improving.
Why: Kinda bored I guess, and very interested about the internet in MC :)/>
Thanks, -RemoteMine

#16 KaoS

Diabolical Coder

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationThat dark shadow under your bed...

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

I'd love to join but I do not have internet at home :)/>

#17 filipkwro

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationPoland (in Europe)

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

I would like to take part in the project. My IGN is the same as my forums name.

#18 djblocksaway

Epic Coderz

• New Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostComputerCraftFan11, on 15 May 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

This is a little project I'm working on, incase you haven't seen our programs (Rednet Explorer...), we are currently hiring.

Our goal is to make the best rednet Internet in minecraft. If you would like to help, post your IGN here. If you want to host a server, post your IGN and the IP: Got a 1.2.5 server...

Members
xXm0dzXx - Owner

Pro or not, we can teach you how and the basics.

Hehe can I join, I host a server, but you will probs use your own :)/>

#19 Gamerhqweb

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

Interesting project, and people have done similar to this. Will you charge for the internet? (On a server i played on you would have to pay 1 diamond per irl hour to have access). Also what about security? As far as I've seen all internet projects have had a major hole in them which i could access the main computer and basically kill the internet. Interesting project, i would love to see how it ends up. :)/>

#20 jdkxspace

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

I would like to help, but I'm using my friends account right now. I'll let you know when I have my own account. Good luck though. I'm actually working on my own "Internet" system in minecraft right now too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users