Jump to content




OneOS Version 2 - The All in One Operating System


910 replies to this topic

#21 Engineer

  • Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

You spelled usage wrong on the wiki :P
Not to be the rude spelling nazi I fixed it for you :) (though I did that yesterday... )

The looks of it really look good, but I simply dont use CC OS's/Graphical Shells/however you call them.

#22 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:21 AM

View PostEngineer, on 02 March 2014 - 09:55 PM, said:

You spelled usage wrong on the wiki :P/>
Not to be the rude spelling nazi I fixed it for you :)/> (though I did that yesterday... )

The looks of it really look good, but I simply dont use CC OS's/Graphical Shells/however you call them.

Yea, I noticed that. Thanks.

#23 apemanzilla

  • Members
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

View Postoeed, on 02 March 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

View PostApemanzilla, on 02 March 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

Few more bug reports for you!
- In the OS: in the AppStore, if you view an app with a long description, the text continues out of the box.
- In the App submitting page: Seems I can't use special characters (<, >, !, etc) in Chrome 33; haven't tested in the browsers yet.

Suggestions:
- Submit apps from the OS
- Sandboxed environment for apps to run some "set up" code after they are installed
- Allow direct links to the app files (I use Dropbox for most of my programs)

Yes, I'll try to fix that description bug.

You can half submit apps from the computer, you can upload them. I probably won't make it possible to submit from a computer.
All programs are sandboxed, what do you mean?
I'll look in to direct links.
I mean a piece of code that is run when the app finishes installing - for example, if you download an API, there would be code to load it.

#24 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

View PostApemanzilla, on 03 March 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

View Postoeed, on 02 March 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

View PostApemanzilla, on 02 March 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

Few more bug reports for you!
- In the OS: in the AppStore, if you view an app with a long description, the text continues out of the box.
- In the App submitting page: Seems I can't use special characters (<, >, !, etc) in Chrome 33; haven't tested in the browsers yet.

Suggestions:
- Submit apps from the OS
- Sandboxed environment for apps to run some "set up" code after they are installed
- Allow direct links to the app files (I use Dropbox for most of my programs)

Yes, I'll try to fix that description bug.

You can half submit apps from the computer, you can upload them. I probably won't make it possible to submit from a computer.
All programs are sandboxed, what do you mean?
I'll look in to direct links.
I mean a piece of code that is run when the app finishes installing - for example, if you download an API, there would be code to load it.

Oh... hmmmm. That would probably harder than you'd think really. It'd be easier to just to that when the user opens the App.

#25 Lyqyd

    Lua Liquidator

  • Moderators
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

All you really have to do is add an optional field in the package entry for a post-install script, then just run that command if it's provided. It's easy enough to add a removal script option as well, to be run before all of the files that were added when the package was installed get deleted.

#26 apemanzilla

  • Members
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 03 March 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

All you really have to do is add an optional field in the package entry for a post-install script, then just run that command if it's provided. It's easy enough to add a removal script option as well, to be run before all of the files that were added when the package was installed get deleted.
Yes - something highly limited (no rendering code, sandboxed fs code, etc) but enough to finish installation.

Edit: additionally, it would be nice to be able to ask the user if they want to run a program on startup - again using an API for example here, but something where when it finishes downloading/installing or when they first run it, it opens a popup asking the user if they want to run the program when the OS starts.

Edit 2: Was browsing the repo after you posted the documentation link - is the readme still supposed to have "Please note the OneOS has not been formally released yet and is only for private invite-only testing and personal records. Unless of course you somehow stumbled upon this, in which case you're invited :P"?

Edited by Apemanzilla, 04 March 2014 - 03:18 PM.


#27 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

View PostApemanzilla, on 04 March 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

View PostLyqyd, on 03 March 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

All you really have to do is add an optional field in the package entry for a post-install script, then just run that command if it's provided. It's easy enough to add a removal script option as well, to be run before all of the files that were added when the package was installed get deleted.
Yes - something highly limited (no rendering code, sandboxed fs code, etc) but enough to finish installation.

Edit: additionally, it would be nice to be able to ask the user if they want to run a program on startup - again using an API for example here, but something where when it finishes downloading/installing or when they first run it, it opens a popup asking the user if they want to run the program when the OS starts.

Edit 2: Was browsing the repo after you posted the documentation link - is the readme still supposed to have "Please note the OneOS has not been formally released yet and is only for private invite-only testing and personal records. Unless of course you somehow stumbled upon this, in which case you're invited :P/>"?

Run of startups not a bad idea. I'll probably add an option to system settings as well as an API call.

I've fixed the readme now, thanks.

#28 gfcwfzkm

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

The Filemanager crashes when i try to open the DISK B where the Disk: "goldrunner" by nitrogenfingers - is in.
The error:
startup:298: bad argument #1: value expected

I would like to see when the Programs work without to include the OS-apis. like a compatibility mode to provide that all other CC-Apps run on it =)

Im realy missing a good shell...

Edited by gfcwfzkm, 04 March 2014 - 11:21 PM.


#29 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

View Postgfcwfzkm, on 04 March 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

The Filemanager crashes when i try to open the DISK B where the Disk: "goldrunner" by nitrogenfingers - is in.
The error:
startup:298: bad argument #1: value expected

I would like to see when the Programs work without to include the OS-apis. like a compatibility mode to provide that all other CC-Apps run on it =)

Im realy missing a good shell...

I'll look in that error. Do remember that goldrunner is actually included.

I'm not really sure what you mean about programs working without the APIs. I might make it possible to run normal files which are in fact programs. At this stage simply add .program to the end of the file name.

#30 Dave-ee Jones

  • Members
  • 452 posts
  • LocationVan Diemen's Land

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

The best OS I have seen yet! I made another OS late last year but I seem to have lost the files...It was like 50x better than AquaOS...So yeah, I have been trying to decide if I should try rebuilding it, and after seeing this, I really want to now! Do you mind if I take a look at your APIs? I am really fascinated with the multi-tasking, menus and button managing...it looks really good :)

#31 bigspaceballs

  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

This is definitely the best OS I have seen yet!. But I just have one question for you. You have inspired me to try to create my own OS, and I hope you don't mind, but I would like to use the lua IDE and Sketch to help create it. It will only be for personal use only, so I wont release it, but I wanted to make the I cons for the programs in Sketch, and I am new to programming in lua, but if I wanted to load and draw the image on the desktop, which API would I use? Would it just be the regular paintutils.load/drawImage? Or is it something different? I read the documentation on Github, but I couldn't find an answer. Also, I want to use the fLib API, but I don't understand how to use the loadAPI API in lua IDE, could you please give me an example? Would it just be

"if OneOS then
OneOS.LoadAPI('/rom/assets/lua/API/fLib.lua')
end"?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

#32 TheJeremail

  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Location(Bromley), London

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

I really love this!
I also love the idea of having an appstore in cc, although I can't submit an app to that. (The uploader is glitchy in Firefox (and IE11))
I found a couple of quirks with the app-store website and a few bugs in the OS though, (just minor things)
The cursor likes to escape terminal programs, that use read(), it ends up blinking at the clock, but jumps back when you type.
Sometimes, using my own function to obtain text, setCursorPos() is off by a few characters (e.g. 2 chars to the left)

#33 alexbuzzbee

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Um... I have a bug report.
I'm using the CC1.6 Beta, so that might be causing it, The OS boots fine, but EVERYTHING I DO CAUSES THE SYSTEM TO CRASH. I can't even see the error! It only crashes when I do something that would open a new tab, so it might be in the tab creation code. Dialogs DON'T cause a crash. So I think it's DEFIANTLY in the tab creation code.
The items which cause a crash are:
One menu:
-About OneOS
-Settings
Desktop:
-* (EVERYTHING)
When the OS crashes, the following message is displayed:
value)
Press any key to continue

Edited by alexbuzzbee, 07 March 2014 - 09:56 PM.


#34 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostAutoLocK, on 05 March 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

The best OS I have seen yet! I made another OS late last year but I seem to have lost the files...It was like 50x better than AquaOS...So yeah, I have been trying to decide if I should try rebuilding it, and after seeing this, I really want to now! Do you mind if I take a look at your APIs? I am really fascinated with the multi-tasking, menus and button managing...it looks really good :)
Go ahead, I can't stop you :P
Please read the note at the bottom of the post though, if you edit any files.


View PostTheJeremail, on 07 March 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

I really love this!
I also love the idea of having an appstore in cc, although I can't submit an app to that. (The uploader is glitchy in Firefox (and IE11))
I found a couple of quirks with the app-store website and a few bugs in the OS though, (just minor things)
The cursor likes to escape terminal programs, that use read(), it ends up blinking at the clock, but jumps back when you type.
Sometimes, using my own function to obtain text, setCursorPos() is off by a few characters (e.g. 2 chars to the left)
Ok, I'll look in to those. I'm going to do a big bug fix in about 30 minutes, hopefully that'll be fixed.

View Postalexbuzzbee, on 07 March 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

Um... I have a bug report.
I'm using the CC1.6 Beta, so that might be causing it, The OS boots fine, but EVERYTHING I DO CAUSES THE SYSTEM TO CRASH. I can't even see the error! It only crashes when I do something that would open a new tab, so it might be in the tab creation code. Dialogs DON'T cause a crash. So I think it's DEFIANTLY in the tab creation code.
The items which cause a crash are:
One menu:
-About OneOS
-Settings
Desktop:
-* (EVERYTHING)
When the OS crashes, the following message is displayed:
value)
Press any key to continue
Did you change any files whatsoever? What CC version?


Also, just a general note to everyone. If you're going to change any of the files, make your own tweaks you MUST set isDebug to true in the /startup file, otherwise every time you crash I get an error report on GitHub. I've had about 20-30 of them and it's getting rather annoying. Also, if you make any tweaks by all means send them to me.

#35 RamiLego4Game

  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSyria,Damascus

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

You Should Add Shell Key To Press At Startup To Prevent OneOS from Booting
Also You Should Ban File Manager From Running startup Because it Bricked The OS

#36 Dave-ee Jones

  • Members
  • 452 posts
  • LocationVan Diemen's Land

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

View Postoeed, on 08 March 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

-snip-

Also, just a general note to everyone. If you're going to change any of the files, make your own tweaks you MUST set isDebug to true in the /startup file, otherwise every time you crash I get an error report on GitHub. I've had about 20-30 of them and it's getting rather annoying. Also, if you make any tweaks by all means send them to me.

Thanks :)
I wasn't going to edit any of the files, just playing around with the APIs, speaking of which, I looked at the APIs directory (where all the APIs are) and found about, I don't know, 12 of them?? So many! But they are all really well made. Some of them are beyond me, I'm like, 'uhh right, how do I test that?' because some of them are quite complicated. Can't remember off the top of my head which are really complicated...But I guess that's just me and my skills at programming right now. :) Can't wait to see OneOS properly (wouldn't let me initiate startup for some reason, does it need to be connected to the Internet?)

#37 TheJeremail

  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Location(Bromley), London

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Hi Oeed, another bug: click and drag across multiple options in the 'One' menu to cause this and a total crash: Posted Image

Also, apart from hilarious layering issues, quickly dragging around files causes this:
Posted Image

#38 awsmazinggenius

  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

As a tester during the private beta, I'd like to say thanks for getting all those bugs out. It became so hard to use (cause of bugs, not poor design, the design is great) that I stopped testing :P

#39 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

View PostRamiLego4Game, on 08 March 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

You Should Add Shell Key To Press At Startup To Prevent OneOS from Booting
Also You Should Ban File Manager From Running startup Because it Bricked The OS
I might add startup keys, ok.
What do you mean, how did it brick the OS?

View PostAutoLocK, on 08 March 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

View Postoeed, on 08 March 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

-snip-

Also, just a general note to everyone. If you're going to change any of the files, make your own tweaks you MUST set isDebug to true in the /startup file, otherwise every time you crash I get an error report on GitHub. I've had about 20-30 of them and it's getting rather annoying. Also, if you make any tweaks by all means send them to me.

Thanks :)
I wasn't going to edit any of the files, just playing around with the APIs, speaking of which, I looked at the APIs directory (where all the APIs are) and found about, I don't know, 12 of them?? So many! But they are all really well made. Some of them are beyond me, I'm like, 'uhh right, how do I test that?' because some of them are quite complicated. Can't remember off the top of my head which are really complicated...But I guess that's just me and my skills at programming right now. :) Can't wait to see OneOS properly (wouldn't let me initiate startup for some reason, does it need to be connected to the Internet?)
No no, you're welcome to edit the files, just make sure you set isDebug to true.
Haven't you been able to run it yet? Try a fresh install with the latest update.

View PostTheJeremail, on 08 March 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

Hi Oeed, another bug: click and drag across multiple options in the 'One' menu to cause this and a total crash: Posted Image

Also, apart from hilarious layering issues, quickly dragging around files causes this:
Posted Image
Ah, I think you've found a bit of a bug there, the menu should close after opening something, but it's obviously not.

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 08 March 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

As a tester during the private beta, I'd like to say thanks for getting all those bugs out. It became so hard to use (cause of bugs, not poor design, the design is great) that I stopped testing :P
Thanks!


I'd also like to mention that I've release a bug update fixing most of the submitted bugs so far. The main things are:

* Fixed (hopefully) all of the Shell bugs
* Fixed blinking cursor moving to clock
* Fixed term.scroll bug
* Fixed Sketch typo
* Hopefully fixed the clock freezing bug
* Fixed Files crashing when opening a treasure disc
* Fixed shell.run issue
* Fixed system running out of storage during update
* Fixed shutdown bug

- Removed unused 'What format' button from Sketch

+ Added first setup program
+ The user is now asked if they want to update

It will install the update automatically, which will be optional after installing this update, but due to a glitch you'll have to manually restart the computer.

Unfortunately, you may also have to wipe the computer (smash it) and redownload.

Edited by oeed, 09 March 2014 - 10:56 PM.


#40 TheJeremail

  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Location(Bromley), London

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:24 AM

Happy about the update, not so much about the (failing?) process?!

Posted Image

Edited by TheJeremail, 09 March 2014 - 02:24 AM.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users