Jump to content




OneOS Version 2 - The All in One Operating System


910 replies to this topic

#381 PumpkinHero

  • Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

Oeed,you add monitor support in new version?

#382 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

View PostWin7yes, on 13 May 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

I first opened it via search but then I tried with Files and still it was opening Files in a system folder I think
I will try again now
I ran in to the same issue when opening startup files.

Did you copy the files on to a blank computer or one with an older version? It probably still has the icons in the old folder.

View PostPumpkinHero, on 13 May 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

Oeed,you add monitor support in new version?
I haven't yet because you can left and right click monitors, but I might. I'll see.

#383 awsmazinggenius

  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

If you do decide to implement monitor support, it would be nice to have a touch keyboard like the one BIT made.

#384 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:40 AM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 13 May 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

If you do decide to implement monitor support, it would be nice to have a touch keyboard like the one BIT made.

Actually, I forgot about that. I'd have to make the screen area smaller and the keyboard always showing probably.

#385 Saldor010

  • Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:45 AM

View Postoeed, on 14 May 2014 - 12:40 AM, said:

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 13 May 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

If you do decide to implement monitor support, it would be nice to have a touch keyboard like the one BIT made.

Actually, I forgot about that. I'd have to make the screen area smaller and the keyboard always showing probably.

Either that or you could make it so whenever you click something that needs text input (search bar... :ph34r: ), then the keyboard would pop up.

#386 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:18 AM

View PostJiloacom, on 14 May 2014 - 12:45 AM, said:

Either that or you could make it so whenever you click something that needs text input (search bar... :ph34r: ), then the keyboard would pop up.

The issue with that is, what do you in programs that aren't made by made/support that?

#387 Saldor010

  • Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:34 AM

View Postoeed, on 14 May 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

View PostJiloacom, on 14 May 2014 - 12:45 AM, said:

Either that or you could make it so whenever you click something that needs text input (search bar... :ph34r: ), then the keyboard would pop up.

The issue with that is, what do you in programs that aren't made by made/support that?

I'm assuming you mean,

The issue with that is, what would you do with programs that made with/don't support that?

I don't know. If the program doesn't support the keyboard, there isn't really much you can do.

#388 awsmazinggenius

  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:40 AM

How about an API call to show/hide the keyboard, shown by default. That way, you can implement this in OneOS and your programs such as Sketch, and the community can implement it as well, but for CraftOS programs, it is shown by default, so you can still send key events. A manual show/hide toggle to go along with it would be nice, too.

#389 Saldor010

  • Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:48 AM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 14 May 2014 - 02:40 AM, said:

How about an API call to show/hide the keyboard, shown by default. That way, you can implement this in OneOS and your programs such as Sketch, and the community can implement it as well, but for CraftOS programs, it is shown by default, so you can still send key events. A manual show/hide toggle to go along with it would be nice, too.

Yeah, I guess that would be one way to do it.

#390 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:49 AM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 14 May 2014 - 02:40 AM, said:

How about an API call to show/hide the keyboard, shown by default. That way, you can implement this in OneOS and your programs such as Sketch, and the community can implement it as well, but for CraftOS programs, it is shown by default, so you can still send key events. A manual show/hide toggle to go along with it would be nice, too.

I suppose an API along with an option to show/close it would work. The question is, where to put the show button? I don't really want to litter the status bar anymore than I have. I could put it in the One menu, but it's not very obvious there.

#391 awsmazinggenius

  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:52 AM

If you think the status menu is cluttered, just use the bottom row (you only use 1 row) and have a little icon in the right hand corner when the keyboard is hidden, like this:
[^]
If the keyboard is currently shown, put the "hide" in the bottom right corner like on iOS.

Edited by awsmazinggenius, 14 May 2014 - 02:53 AM.


#392 awsmazinggenius

  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:43 AM

Any info? It seems like my response may not have been seen.

#393 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:02 AM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 18 May 2014 - 03:43 AM, said:

Any info? It seems like my response may not have been seen.

I've started work on an on screen keyboard, not to sure about it though really.

I can, however, confirm that monitor support has been added (albeit rather buggy).

Edited by oeed, 18 May 2014 - 04:02 AM.


#394 Geforce Fan

  • Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMissouri, United States, America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe 42B, Life Street, Multiverse, 4th Dimension

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:53 AM

View Postoeed, on 04 May 2014 - 02:27 AM, said:

Ok, so someone has just crossed the line with this error reporting. In the space of about 7 minutes I've received 20 crash reports of the same bloody thing.

I generally don't get annoyed easily, but this whole thing is just driving me insane. So, thank you what ever idiot was doing that, I've turned error reporting off until further notice (or until I implement a system to avoid reports from modified systems.)

Please, please, please SET ISDEBUG TO TRUE FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!!


There's about twice as many shown in this screenshot...
Posted Image

If you think you've got a solution to this issue please this topic: http://www.computerc...s-are-the-same/
The problem with debug is that \ restarts. If that weren't there I think people would use ut.

#395 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:23 AM

View PostHithere__, on 18 May 2014 - 04:53 AM, said:

The problem with debug is that \ restarts. If that weren't there I think people would use ut.

Hmm, I actually find it really useful if you're editing system files. Anyway, it's fixed in 1.2, only unmodified systems send error reports.

#396 Geforce Fan

  • Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMissouri, United States, America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe 42B, Life Street, Multiverse, 4th Dimension

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

Hey, one major issue right now is that OneOS takes up a MASSIVE amount of space. It doesn't give you enough room for your own programs. I'm not sure how you'd fix this, but I'm just saying. I've ran below 50KB before. I had to delete the default games-- I fear next update I will have no space left!
If it auto-updates, I hope it won't delete the project I've been working on, don't have any backups.
Also there is a major memory leak or something in About OneOS. It lags the computer to a halt if left open.

Edited by Geforce Fan, 18 May 2014 - 07:00 PM.


#397 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

View PostGeforce Fan, on 18 May 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

Hey, one major issue right now is that OneOS takes up a MASSIVE amount of space. It doesn't give you enough room for your own programs. I'm not sure how you'd fix this, but I'm just saying. I've ran below 50KB before. I had to delete the default games-- I fear next update I will have no space left!
If it auto-updates, I hope it won't delete the project I've been working on, don't have any backups.
Also there is a major memory leak or something in About OneOS. It lags the computer to a halt if left open.
In terms of free space, I've really tried to free it up as much as I can. The games are no longer downloaded by default, instead there is a program which asks if you want to install it.

It does ask you if you want to update, but to be safe back your stuff up. If you edited any system files then they will be overwritten.

#398 awsmazinggenius

  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

Why not minify the code? Minification is slightly different than obfuscation, both produce human-unreadable results, but minification is with the intent to get a small file size, not to specifically produce unreadable results. You will need to keep two hashes though, one for unmodified minified files and one for source files, as you will want to keep the source files available to comply with forum expectations (some people are worried of "malware") and for those who want to tinker with the code.

You can either build a minifier from source on your machine, and minify from the Terminal (I assume you have a script in place already to calculate the hash, and push the release up to GitHub and tag it so you can make a release on GitHub) or you can use an online minifier so you don't have to minify anything. I use LuaSrcDiet from the Terminal when at home, but when on the go I use http://mothereff.in/lua-minifier online.

EDIT: About backups, I actually do my coding in my Google Drive folder on my Mac (you can use SkyDrive/Dropbox/FTP too), so it is all safe and sound in the cloud, then use this tool to make it sync over to whatever Minecraft/emulator folders I need. Works perfectly well for what I want.

EDIT 2: Would be nice to have an installer option to download games or not. In my almost-finished but abandoned OS's installer I had a few presets on what to install ("Entertainment", "Coding" and "Turtle" (pocket comps came out after I ditched it)) and a "custom" mode.

Edited by awsmazinggenius, 18 May 2014 - 11:12 PM.


#399 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:40 PM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 18 May 2014 - 11:05 PM, said:

--snip--
At the moment 1.2 is using about ~630KB IIRC, not great but still a lot better than previously.

I looked in to it briefly, but there's a few things that made me question whether it would work:
  • Line numbers; it's probably toggleable, but I want to keep the line numbers so I can still use the error report submission.
  • I don't know how much the code's size will change really, it might not be that significant. I'll try it though.
  • I'm not too sure if I minifiy it without causing all the public functions and APIs to break (due to name changing).
  • If possible I'd like people to be able to browse the code as the wish.
In reality the system code isn't the thing taking up most of the storage space, it only accounts for about a fith to a quarter of the total storage limit. The main thing is the programs, the biggest being Sketch at 107KB
Posted Image.
I'll see what I can do, but minification is probably one of the last things I'll try, I'm just not really sure that the pros outweigh the cons.

#400 awsmazinggenius

  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:52 PM

If that's the case, have you done things like making sure you don't have any redundant code, and creating aliases for commonly used functions like this:
tw = term.write
tw "this"
tw "that"
tw "another thing"
tw "more stuff"
tw "hhhhiiii"
As you can see, it is shorter than to write term.write each time





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users