Jump to content




OneOS Version 2 - The All in One Operating System


910 replies to this topic

#441 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

Quote

Oeed , Why do not you add the BIOS in your operating system? That we could immediately be loaded from disk. Like in
Spoiler
. And it would look quite interesting if the BIOS was like Ami Bios
]
To prevent unnecessary confusion I will not be making a boot loader. If someone wants to install another OS they can simply wipe the computer. However, if you want me to add ElectronusOS bootloader support let me know.

#442 PumpkinHero

  • Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Google Translate - That would be nice, but if you do not want to do that I do not force you)

#443 PumpkinHero

  • Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Oeed, What do you think about to make folders like in Mac OS? I think it would be beautiful

Screenshot - http://i62.fastpic.r...9e758fb34d9.png

Edited by PumpkinHero, 01 June 2014 - 01:53 PM.


#444 awsmazinggenius

  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

He plans on adding tags using colors with Lyqyd's metadata system. Does the color of the folders really matter? I spend most of my time in the shell.

#445 PumpkinHero

  • Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 01 June 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

He plans on adding tags using colors with Lyqyd's metadata system. Does the color of the folders really matter? I spend most of my time in the shell.

Google Translate - I'm not sure but I think it's beautiful, by the way, I added a screenshot, look on it please

After all, the system should not only be functional but also beautiful because eg DOS completely functional system but text system is it cool?

Edited by PumpkinHero, 01 June 2014 - 02:00 PM.


#446 Saldor010

  • Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 01 June 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

He plans on adding tags using colors with Lyqyd's metadata system. Does the color of the folders really matter? I spend most of my time in the shell.

In the end, does it really matter what color a folder is? I would rather have Cloud support. :P

#447 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:55 PM

View PostPumpkinHero, on 01 June 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Oeed, What do you think about to make folders like in Mac OS? I think it would be beautiful

Screenshot - http://i62.fastpic.r...9e758fb34d9.png
As awsmazinggenius said, I do intend to using Lyqyd's metadata format. I'll probably just have a little colour next to the name rather than having coloured icons.

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 01 June 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

He plans on adding tags using colors with Lyqyd's metadata system. Does the color of the folders really matter? I spend most of my time in the shell.
The most important part of OneOS is the GUI really, I'm actually rather surprised you spend most of your time in the shell. What are you doing in the shell? Is it just out of choice or are you not able to do somethings?

View PostJiloacom, on 01 June 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

In the end, does it really matter what color a folder is? I would rather have Cloud support. :P
Cloud support eh? What sort of things would that have?



In regards to 1.2, I've got exams at the moment so I haven't really had time to do much. I'll try to get some done this weekend.

Edited by oeed, 01 June 2014 - 09:57 PM.


#448 awsmazinggenius

  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:39 PM

I use the shell sometimes out of choice (sometimes it's faster than using a GUI) and sometimes it's because of major bugs in the OS, like the frequent bug Files seems to encounter when trying to work with program folders.

#449 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 01 June 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

I use the shell sometimes out of choice (sometimes it's faster than using a GUI) and sometimes it's because of major bugs in the OS, like the frequent bug Files seems to encounter when trying to work with program folders.

Hmm ok. Some of them will be fixed when 1.2 comes out, but if you encounter any after that please create a GitHub issue for it.

#450 Saldor010

  • Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:23 AM

View Postoeed, on 01 June 2014 - 09:55 PM, said:

Cloud support eh? What sort of things would that have?

I don't know. It's just the first thing that popped into my head. I guess it would work sort of like a backup system. It gets really annoying when I have both Forge AND Vanilla Minecraft on the same launcher, and I will accidentally join my Computercraft world on Vanilla, and all of my computers get wiped. I know I could make my own backups, but, eh. It would just be a nice thing to have. Feel free to put it on the bottom of the to-do list. :P

#451 awsmazinggenius

  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:33 AM

With the new support for HTTP headers, ‚Äčtheoretically (notice the italicized theoretically) you could access the APIs of sites like Dropbox, Google Drive and SkyDrive without a wrapper site (that you would have to host) if you can get the user to manually create an OAuth access token. That's really easy to do with GitHub, but for other sites it might be more of a complex process, though.

#452 awsmazinggenius

  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:59 AM

I'm just gonna make a new post, as I have a feeling my reply may have been missed in the slew of stuff that gets posted on the forums.

BTW, regarding my above post, I've found out how to create tokens for GitHub (already knew) and Google Drive, the two main services I use for file/code storage.
GitHub
Google Drive


#453 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:22 AM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 05 June 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

I'm just gonna make a new post, as I have a feeling my reply may have been missed in the slew of stuff that gets posted on the forums.

BTW, regarding my above post, I've found out how to create tokens for GitHub (already knew) and Google Drive, the two main services I use for file/code storage.
GitHub
Google Drive

No, your post was not missed.

I've just been seriously busy with exams. My last two are tomorrow, after that I've got a semi-free week (work experience) in which I'll attempt to push the update.

Metadata won't be part of 1.2, maybe 1.3. However, I'll look in to getting a cloud folder setup. I'll probably support Google Drive and, if possible, Dropbox, as they appear to be the most common.

#454 SquidDev

    Frickin' laser beams

  • Members
  • 1,421 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

View Postoeed, on 05 June 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

No, your post was not missed.

I've just been seriously busy with exams. My last two are tomorrow, after that I've got a semi-free week (work experience) in which I'll attempt to push the update.

Metadata won't be part of 1.2, maybe 1.3. However, I'll look in to getting a cloud folder setup. I'll probably support Google Drive and, if possible, Dropbox, as they appear to be the most common.

Shameless self promotion: Have you had a look at my dropbox script? I couldn't get uploading working but everything else works.

I was reading in the previous couple of pages about minification. Could a minified version be released as well as a source code version - almost like a production and development version. This might remove the need for checksums as who is going to try to work with minified code if the source is available?

Just my thoughts on this great OS.

#455 awsmazinggenius

  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

Just wondering, what's the status on 1.2? It seems that your exams should be over with, so I'm wondering if it's new features or something awesome like that.

#456 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:10 AM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 14 June 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

Just wondering, what's the status on 1.2? It seems that your exams should be over with, so I'm wondering if it's new features or something awesome like that.

Well.... I started working on OneCode for CCJam, essentially XCode for ComputerCraft, but I'm not going to finish it anytime soon. So I'll take a look now and see what needs to be finished.

#457 Geforce Fan

  • Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMissouri, United States, America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe 42B, Life Street, Multiverse, 4th Dimension

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:36 AM

View Postoeed, on 23 March 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

View Postskwerlman, on 23 March 2014 - 06:09 AM, said:

View Postoeed, on 23 March 2014 - 12:37 AM, said:

  • Various Files bugs
Is that a feature? :P

"It's not a bug, it's a feature"

But in all seriousness, it's more of a list of changes really, I should probably reword it though.
They're unintentional features
---
I was using OneOS to develop Sapphari, and at first it was nice. The tabs where cool and the file system didn't require typing, just clicking. But overtime it got really annoying. For instance, when I'd pull up luaide, I'd have to type: program/sapphari.program/startup . That's too much to type. I think there should be a /proj that would always be on the desktop as "Current Project" and would act like an app but without all that extension stuff, to make it easier on developers.
Second of all, there are lots of bugs in OneOS. Try inserting a floppy, then going into it in Finder. Now remove the floppy and click. Crash. That's just one example. Try changing OneOS's startup, then go to settings or about oneos. Crash.
Third of all, you can't paste anymore. If you want to copy a pasteid and paste it in. Nothing. The OneOS clipboard overrides it, and it makes it very hard even with two monitors to download programs
Fourth of all, you cannot exit to CraftOS. This is among the most simple features yet was overlooked.
Anyway, there's quite a bit of criticism that shouldn't be taken offensive, but rather as a list of things to fix. But one big issue, for all OSes, is that CraftOS now has multitasking, so there's no need for OSes--that was what every single good OS really did--allowed you to multitask. The only real thing that'd be nice would be a simple desktop program that worked WITH CraftOS, rather than against it.

Edited by Geforce Fan, 15 June 2014 - 12:47 AM.


#458 skwerlman

  • Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:03 AM

View PostGeforce Fan, on 15 June 2014 - 12:36 AM, said:

View Postoeed, on 23 March 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

-snip-
They're unintentional features

Speaking of features, any chance OneCode will support custom syntax highlighting like Sublime Text? I think it'd be neat to be able to highlight custom APIs and syntax elements (and maybe even other languages!)


EDIT: The app store is still displaying ' and " as \' and \"...
Posted Image

Edited by skwerlman, 15 June 2014 - 02:05 AM.


#459 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:46 AM

View PostGeforce Fan, on 15 June 2014 - 12:36 AM, said:

They're unintentional features
---
I was using OneOS to develop Sapphari, and at first it was nice. The tabs where cool and the file system didn't require typing, just clicking. But overtime it got really annoying. For instance, when I'd pull up luaide, I'd have to type: program/sapphari.program/startup . That's too much to type. I think there should be a /proj that would always be on the desktop as "Current Project" and would act like an app but without all that extension stuff, to make it easier on developers.
Second of all, there are lots of bugs in OneOS. Try inserting a floppy, then going into it in Finder. Now remove the floppy and click. Crash. That's just one example. Try changing OneOS's startup, then go to settings or about oneos. Crash.
Third of all, you can't paste anymore. If you want to copy a pasteid and paste it in. Nothing. The OneOS clipboard overrides it, and it makes it very hard even with two monitors to download programs
Fourth of all, you cannot exit to CraftOS. This is among the most simple features yet was overlooked.
Anyway, there's quite a bit of criticism that shouldn't be taken offensive, but rather as a list of things to fix. But one big issue, for all OSes, is that CraftOS now has multitasking, so there's no need for OSes--that was what every single good OS really did--allowed you to multitask. The only real thing that'd be nice would be a simple desktop program that worked WITH CraftOS, rather than against it.
With those bugs, most of them I wasn't aware of, no one posted them on GitHub so I didn't know. So in future, if you find a bug post it there.
I'll make sure those are fixed in 1.2
You can access CraftOS, old Alt while booting. Although I should probably add some text which says that.

View Postskwerlman, on 15 June 2014 - 01:03 AM, said:

Speaking of features, any chance OneCode will support custom syntax highlighting like Sublime Text? I think it'd be neat to be able to highlight custom APIs and syntax elements (and maybe even other languages!)

Yea, I don't see why not. Although I don't really know what other languages are used with CC to be honest.

Ok, so I'll give a bit of a more in depth description of OneCode.
With the issue you were talking about Geforce Fan, this won't be an issue in OneCode for two reasons.
First, all your projects stuff (code, interface, built program, etc) are all stored in a .ocproj file and you simply double click on it to open it.
Secondly, you don't even need to find it because OneCode will list your recent projects:
Posted Image
You also won't need to manually switch to Files to open your program because you can click the play button and it will automatically build and run your program (syntax highlighting is yet to be added). The button turns orange while building, green while running and red if there was an error.
Posted Image
It's also really easy to release your program as either a standalone CraftOS program or OneOS program, while not shown in the screenshot there will be two buttons to do each of these tasks. This also allows you to set other OneOS thing like the program icon and file types.
Posted Image

Anyway, on to what this will actually do.
Basically, at the moment the way I make my GUI programs isn't great, especially with programs consisting of multiple pages (e.g. the setup program). In addition, lots of people want to make GUI programs but can't due to the complexity.

So essentially, what this will have is a drag and drop interface designer. You can add buttons, text fields, basically any control OneOS has. You can also customise everything about them, from what they say, to colours etc. You can also have multiple views or pages, so a settings page, the main page, etc. Then you can easily access these GUI elements from the code using something like GUI.GetElement('unique tag') or something like that. It'll also have a way to allow you to easily link functions to button clicks.

#460 Csstform

  • Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:21 AM

View Postoeed, on 15 June 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

-snip-

Even though I may not see it in the competition, I am really looking forward to this!





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users