Jump to content




OneOS Version 2 - The All in One Operating System


910 replies to this topic

#61 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

View PostMikk809h, on 10 March 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

View Postoeed, on 09 March 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

View PostMikk809h, on 09 March 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Bug report:

When having unlimited data storage on my computer, the startup (line 96 ) crashes by thinking "unlimited" is a number.

Reproduce:
Change your max computer storage config to 0 ( unlimited )
Boot up OneOS
The magic occours.


a Suggestion:

Make widgets. ( like analog clock ) (weather based on IP) (Status of computer, Virusses found? etc) xD
Ah, haven't tried that, thanks. The thing with widgets is I'm not really sure where to put them. They could go on the desktop, but there's not much room. I'll look in to it though.
Well if you can take a look at my screen setup, then you might know why i suggested that xD
Spoiler

xD

Well yeah, do what you want to... dont do it because of me. Do it because you want it :D

Oh and btw:

Whenever i enter the Programs, Documents or the Files tab, it's throwing an error:

peripheral.lua: 4: attempt to call nil
Screenie:
Spoiler

And to end this loooong response, I have another suggestion:
Make a help program and make custom programs able to use it, ( animations / nice gui stuffs? ) and make your OS even MUCH better?

:D

Thanks
Well, that's one big screen you got there.

There peripheral error is because you're using an old version of ComputerCraft. What I'll probably do is leave the list blank if you're using an old version.

View Postskwerlman, on 10 March 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

Just did a fresh install from ccappstore, and I keep getting
main.lua:75: attempt to index ? (a nil value)

Also, by default, appstore installs to a subdirectory, which breaks the os.

edit: the installer works fine, perhaps that should be hosted on ccappstore rather than the whole os?

Ah, you've got a good point there. It's not creating the .version file... yea. I'll need to upload the installer instead. Thanks for letting me know.

#62 Agoldfish

  • Members
  • 451 posts
  • LocationSome Fish Bowl in Ohio.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

So this is the OS to end all OS'S? :P

#63 Symmetryc

  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

View PostLeGoldFish, on 10 March 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

So this is the OS to end all OS'S? :P
It's more of an OS for those who are new to ComputerCraft / don't want to program, not really targeted for developers IMHO.

Edited by Symmetryc, 10 March 2014 - 10:16 PM.


#64 skwerlman

  • Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:25 AM

Bug report: Various crashes

If you place a computer next to the one w/OneOS, but don't turn it on, Files crashes when you try to view its details.
"startup:288: bad argument #1: value expected"

If you manually put a folder in root called 'shell', and try to access it using Files, it crashes. (this may work with other names, but I haven't tested it)
"startup:531: attempt to index ? (a nil value)"

If you go into Shell and type 'shutdown', and then press enter rapidly, this happens:
Spoiler
This may happen with other commands, but I haven't tested it.
The only way to recover is to use another computer to reboot it.
if you click on the topmost 'x' anywhere the OS hangs.
UPDATE: This happens when you press enter after a program closes, instead of clicking on the screen.

Occasionally, this happens: (The last line)
Spoiler
The amount of duplicated red text missing seems to correlate with the length of the failed command. Perhaps 'term.clearLine' would work better than simply writing spaces.

The 'Featured' menu in Appstore noticeably disappears for a moment when opening it.
The scroll bar can scroll off the screen in the Appstore.
The red 'X' in the appstore does nothing.

If I happen to find more, I'll post them. Good work, btw. Far better than anything I've come up with.

Also, a suggestion: Make something similar to XCode so we can write simple code, and have it 'compiled' into a .program
Maybe a configurable screensaver, too.

Edited by skwerlman, 11 March 2014 - 04:34 AM.


#65 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

View PostLeGoldFish, on 10 March 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

So this is the OS to end all OS'S? :P
Well, if you want to put it that way :D

View PostSymmetryc, on 10 March 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

View PostLeGoldFish, on 10 March 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

So this is the OS to end all OS'S? :P
It's more of an OS for those who are new to ComputerCraft / don't want to program, not really targeted for developers IMHO.
It's designed to be easy to use, that doesn't mean you can't do complex stuff with it. As Jony Ive once said, as per my signature, simplicity is bringing easy of use/order to complexity. Saying that, I see where you're coming from. What things specifically would make it more dev oriented?

I did obviously design it for first time users or non-programmers. When I've cleaned every bug people can find I intend to release it on MC, Tekkit, FTB, etc. forums.

View Postskwerlman, on 11 March 2014 - 04:25 AM, said:

Bug report: Various crashes

If you place a computer next to the one w/OneOS, but don't turn it on, Files crashes when you try to view its details.
"startup:288: bad argument #1: value expected"

If you manually put a folder in root called 'shell', and try to access it using Files, it crashes. (this may work with other names, but I haven't tested it)
"startup:531: attempt to index ? (a nil value)"

If you go into Shell and type 'shutdown', and then press enter rapidly, this happens:
Spoiler
This may happen with other commands, but I haven't tested it.
The only way to recover is to use another computer to reboot it.
if you click on the topmost 'x' anywhere the OS hangs.
UPDATE: This happens when you press enter after a program closes, instead of clicking on the screen.

Occasionally, this happens: (The last line)
Spoiler
The amount of duplicated red text missing seems to correlate with the length of the failed command. Perhaps 'term.clearLine' would work better than simply writing spaces.

The 'Featured' menu in Appstore noticeably disappears for a moment when opening it.
The scroll bar can scroll off the screen in the Appstore.
The red 'X' in the appstore does nothing.

If I happen to find more, I'll post them. Good work, btw. Far better than anything I've come up with.

Also, a suggestion: Make something similar to XCode so we can write simple code, and have it 'compiled' into a .program
Maybe a configurable screensaver, too.

Thanks for the very in-depth report. I'll try to squash all of them. What CC version are you running by the way?

I'll think about an XCode like app. What advantages would it have over something like LuaIDE though? The other day I started a word processor, it's still in it's infancy, but it should be released by the end of the week, hopefully. (the blue is selected text)

Posted Image

#66 Symmetryc

  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

Well, I don't really see what advantages it would have over CraftOS when it comes to developing, I suppose we have differing views though.

#67 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostSymmetryc, on 11 March 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

Well, I don't really see what advantages it would have over CraftOS when it comes to developing, I suppose we have differing views though.

True. The main benefits of OneOS in that regard are that it's far easier to manage the files, that is unless of course you are developing locally and editing the files in something like Sublime Text. So, in terms of in game/server only edit it's probably better though.

Edit: 999th post :D

Edited by oeed, 11 March 2014 - 10:51 AM.


#68 Saldor010

  • Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

Bug report, when I tried to install OneOS on a clean, advanced computer, it got through all of the downloading, rebooted, then on boot, it errored with
startup:96: attempt to compare number with string expected, got number
Not sure what may have caused it.

#69 alexbuzzbee

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

View Postoeed, on 08 March 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

View PostAutoLocK, on 05 March 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

The best OS I have seen yet! I made another OS late last year but I seem to have lost the files...It was like 50x better than AquaOS...So yeah, I have been trying to decide if I should try rebuilding it, and after seeing this, I really want to now! Do you mind if I take a look at your APIs? I am really fascinated with the multi-tasking, menus and button managing...it looks really good :)
Go ahead, I can't stop you :P
Please read the note at the bottom of the post though, if you edit any files.


View PostTheJeremail, on 07 March 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

I really love this!
I also love the idea of having an appstore in cc, although I can't submit an app to that. (The uploader is glitchy in Firefox (and IE11))
I found a couple of quirks with the app-store website and a few bugs in the OS though, (just minor things)
The cursor likes to escape terminal programs, that use read(), it ends up blinking at the clock, but jumps back when you type.
Sometimes, using my own function to obtain text, setCursorPos() is off by a few characters (e.g. 2 chars to the left)
Ok, I'll look in to those. I'm going to do a big bug fix in about 30 minutes, hopefully that'll be fixed.

View Postalexbuzzbee, on 07 March 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

Um... I have a bug report.
I'm using the CC1.6 Beta, so that might be causing it, The OS boots fine, but EVERYTHING I DO CAUSES THE SYSTEM TO CRASH. I can't even see the error! It only crashes when I do something that would open a new tab, so it might be in the tab creation code. Dialogs DON'T cause a crash. So I think it's DEFIANTLY in the tab creation code.
The items which cause a crash are:
One menu:
-About OneOS
-Settings
Desktop:
-* (EVERYTHING)
When the OS crashes, the following message is displayed:
value)
Press any key to continue
Did you change any files whatsoever? What CC version?


Also, just a general note to everyone. If you're going to change any of the files, make your own tweaks you MUST set isDebug to true in the /startup file, otherwise every time you crash I get an error report on GitHub. I've had about 20-30 of them and it's getting rather annoying. Also, if you make any tweaks by all means send them to me.

"I'm using the CC1.6 Beta, so that might be causing it,"

#70 Csstform

  • Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

I like the screenshot for Sketch, can't wait to try this!

#71 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostJiloacom, on 11 March 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Bug report, when I tried to install OneOS on a clean, advanced computer, it got through all of the downloading, rebooted, then on boot, it errored with
startup:96: attempt to compare number with string expected, got number
Not sure what may have caused it.
Quite a number of people have had this error, it's because you're using an old version.

It's checking how much free space is available

Because I intend to release this for people using Tekkit, FTB etc. and it's often using an old version I'll make it skip this on old versions.

View Postalexbuzzbee, on 11 March 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

--snip--
"I'm using the CC1.6 Beta, so that might be causing it,"
Yes, the 1.6 Beta broke it to pieces. I'll fix the bugs when 1.6 is formally released.

View PostCsstform, on 11 March 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

I like the screenshot for Sketch, can't wait to try this!
I'll be releasing a standalone version of Sketch today too.

#72 Symmetryc

  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

View Postoeed, on 11 March 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

View PostSymmetryc, on 11 March 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

Well, I don't really see what advantages it would have over CraftOS when it comes to developing, I suppose we have differing views though.

True. The main benefits of OneOS in that regard are that it's far easier to manage the files, that is unless of course you are developing locally and editing the files in something like Sublime Text. So, in terms of in game/server only edit it's probably better though.

Edit: 999th post :D
What I mean is when you're running a program it is hampered by OneOS's buffering, it doesn't offer features that developer OS's (LeadLinedOS, OpenOS) have such as pipeline, doesn't have windows for testing out different resolutions, etc. (based off of OneOS from a few versions back, but I'm pretty sure they still apply).

#73 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostSymmetryc, on 11 March 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

View Postoeed, on 11 March 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

View PostSymmetryc, on 11 March 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

Well, I don't really see what advantages it would have over CraftOS when it comes to developing, I suppose we have differing views though.

True. The main benefits of OneOS in that regard are that it's far easier to manage the files, that is unless of course you are developing locally and editing the files in something like Sublime Text. So, in terms of in game/server only edit it's probably better though.

Edit: 999th post :D
What I mean is when you're running a program it is hampered by OneOS's buffering, it doesn't offer features that developer OS's (LeadLinedOS, OpenOS) have such as pipeline, doesn't have windows for testing out different resolutions, etc. (based off of OneOS from a few versions back, but I'm pretty sure they still apply).

Oh yea, there's a few things which would make developing harder. Obviously you couldn't really make an OS on it.

#74 IsaacTBeast

  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • LocationI 'm inside your brian

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

You made ComputerCraft easily and I might say that this is amazing!! I am using your operating system for programming Isaac OS, OneOS is the modern OS for computercraft....

#75 CptBlank

  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

Great OS,but in LuaIDE or Shell there some random white pixels appearing
Also when i open a program from the browser and close it i also must close browser to make the program dissapear

#76 Saldor010

  • Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

View Postoeed, on 11 March 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

View PostJiloacom, on 11 March 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Bug report, when I tried to install OneOS on a clean, advanced computer, it got through all of the downloading, rebooted, then on boot, it errored with
startup:96: attempt to compare number with string expected, got number
Not sure what may have caused it.
Quite a number of people have had this error, it's because you're using an old version.

It's checking how much free space is available

Because I intend to release this for people using Tekkit, FTB etc. and it's often using an old version I'll make it skip this on old versions.


I was using Tekkit lite, so that may have been the problem.

#77 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

View PostIsaacTBeast, on 12 March 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

You made ComputerCraft easily and I might say that this is amazing!! I am using your operating system for programming Isaac OS, OneOS is the modern OS for computercraft....
Why thank you, that was my aim :D

View PostCptBlank, on 12 March 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Great OS,but in LuaIDE or Shell there some random white pixels appearing
Also when i open a program from the browser and close it i also must close browser to make the program dissapear
Can you show a screen shot of the LuaIDE/Shell bug? I haven't come across it.
The second bug is one that has been a real pain in the past, I'll make sure I fix that.
Thanks!

View PostJiloacom, on 12 March 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

View Postoeed, on 11 March 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

View PostJiloacom, on 11 March 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Bug report, when I tried to install OneOS on a clean, advanced computer, it got through all of the downloading, rebooted, then on boot, it errored with
startup:96: attempt to compare number with string expected, got number
Not sure what may have caused it.
Quite a number of people have had this error, it's because you're using an old version.

It's checking how much free space is available

Because I intend to release this for people using Tekkit, FTB etc. and it's often using an old version I'll make it skip this on old versions.


I was using Tekkit lite, so that may have been the problem.
Yes, I'm trying to fix all old version related issues. The free space one's done now.

#78 skwerlman

  • Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

View Postoeed, on 11 March 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

Thanks for the very in-depth report. I'll try to squash all of them. What CC version are you running by the way?

I'll think about an XCode like app. What advantages would it have over something like LuaIDE though? The other day I started a word processor, it's still in it's infancy, but it should be released by the end of the week, hopefully. (the blue is selected text)

I'm using CC 1.57

I was thinking that it could take basic CC code, as well as a .nft, and group them into a .program folder that would behave like an app from the appstore. (IE it would save the code as 'startup' and the .nft as 'icon') It could perhaps also allow for certain APIs to be installed in a system folder somewhere, and the app could have their locations accessible via a dropdown or something.
I also thought of perhaps something similar to a C++ #include command, where you might type '#include NameOfAPI' and the editor would save it with os.loadAPI('NameOfAPI') at the start, and os.unloadAPI('NameOfAPI') at the end, after removing the include. Maybe that's too complex for lua, though.

That 'Ink' looks nice, btw. Does it support colored text?

Edited by skwerlman, 13 March 2014 - 10:51 AM.


#79 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

View Postskwerlman, on 13 March 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

View Postoeed, on 11 March 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

Thanks for the very in-depth report. I'll try to squash all of them. What CC version are you running by the way?

I'll think about an XCode like app. What advantages would it have over something like LuaIDE though? The other day I started a word processor, it's still in it's infancy, but it should be released by the end of the week, hopefully. (the blue is selected text)

I'm using CC 1.57

I was thinking that it could take basic CC code, as well as a .nft, and group them into a .program folder that would behave like an app from the appstore. (IE it would save the code as 'startup' and the .nft as 'icon') It could perhaps also allow for certain APIs to be installed in a system folder somewhere, and the app could have their locations accessible via a dropdown or something.
I also thought of perhaps something similar to a C++ #include command, where you might type '#include NameOfAPI' and the editor would save it with os.loadAPI('NameOfAPI') at the start, and os.unloadAPI('NameOfAPI') at the end, after removing the include. Maybe that's too complex for lua, though.

That 'Ink' looks nice, btw. Does it support colored text?

Ok, I see. I'll think about it, it'll be quite a big project if I do.

I've been thinking about coloured text. For .txt files, no. But I'll be making a special format called .ink which will support things such as text alignment (centre, left, right), colour and possibly images (maybe). The main issue is printing. I want it to be really easy to print stuff off, thats one of the main reasons for the program, hence why the pages are that size. As you can't yet print in colour it'll probably only be colour on screen. I will not be doing an 'insert this colour dye, then click, the insert this dye, etc.', it's makes it too hard to use.

Edited by oeed, 13 March 2014 - 11:08 AM.


#80 skwerlman

  • Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

View Postoeed, on 13 March 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Ok, I see. I'll think about it, it'll be quite a big project if I do.

I've been thinking about coloured text. For .txt files, no. But I'll be making a special format called .ink which will support things such as text alignment (centre, left, right), colour and possibly images (maybe). The main issue is printing. I want it to be really easy to print stuff off, thats one of the main reasons for the program, hence why the pages are that size. As you can't yet print in colour it'll probably only be colour on screen. I will not be doing an 'insert this colour dye, then click, the insert this dye, etc.', it's makes it too hard to use.

Thanks for even considering it!

That sounds really nifty. I've always thought there should be separate programs for coding and writing. Helps keep me organized, since I never add file extensions if don't have to, and then I try executing a text file, and print a 300-line API.

EDIT: I just noticed that the About OneOS page says 'Click here for more liscense details', but clicking does nothing.

Edited by skwerlman, 13 March 2014 - 12:27 PM.






5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users