Jump to content




Custom ROM via crafting


84 replies to this topic

#1 apemanzilla

  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

I have a fairly simple suggestion here. I would like to have an alternative crafting recipe for computers where a floppy disk (the disk must have a bios.lua file on it) replaces the standard redstone. The produced computer would be identical to other computers, except instead of having the standard files, it would have the files from the disk instead.

For example, here is a disk's layout:
/bios.lua
/rom/myprogram
/rom/myfolder/myprogram
/myfolder/anotherprogram

This would result in a computer running the given bios.lua, a read-only "rom" folder with the files and folders contained in it, and a NON read-only folder "myfolder" with a file "anotherprogram" in it. The bios file would still be intangible and invisible as far as the OS can see.

Another example:

/myprogram

The user would not be able to craft the computer with this disk as it is missing a bios.lua file.

Final example:

/bios.lua
/myprogram
/rom/
/mysecondprogram

This would result in a computer running the given bios.lua, with an empty rom folder and two non read-only files "myprogram" and"mysecondprogram."

This would open a new path for advanced OS's and virus-proof systems, but at the disadvantage of being single-use - you can't fix bugs in the code without creating a new computer.

Edited by apemanzilla, 27 February 2015 - 02:21 PM.


#2 sci4me

  • Members
  • 225 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:10 AM

yeah, i really HATE that the rom is in the cc zip. cant you at least have a bootloader that can do multiboot?

#3 Sebra

  • Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

I like this suggestion. It will allow players to modify things, they cannot now.
It's possible to add recipe like Comp+Disk=Comp_reprogrammed, but really it is an option only.

#4 s0r00t

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

+1
Love that suggestion, as it would add support for custom bootloader system, and the ability to make better OSes.

#5 Snocker15

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Great idea! I would love to see this implemented to the game.

#6 Saldor010

  • Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, considering your the one making the computer, you should be the one to decide how it runs ;)

#7 TheOddByte

    Lazy Coder

  • Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

I support this suggestion, it would be very useful! :D

#8 wilcomega

  • Members
  • 466 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

this is amazing, just go on a server set these programs up and sell them as game consoles. great idea. more things you can do with this:
  • Operating system
  • Anti-virus
Full support as i have like 3 diffrent posts where you can edit the rom but it always got turned down, i really hope this one makes it through as its not as complicated and still really really good

SUPPORT

Edited by wilcomega, 18 August 2014 - 09:42 PM.


#9 LDShadowLord

  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:25 AM

+1. I agree, it is a good idea :)

#10 Sebra

  • Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

 Sebra, on 06 April 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

It's possible to add recipe like Comp+Disk=Comp_reprogrammed, but really it is an option only.
Please, Dan200, if you add this, do not leave old data in Computer, use new Id.
Reason is security leak.

#11 apemanzilla

  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

Have I mentioned this would also make it possible to prevent people booting the computer from a disk? :3

#12 Zudo

  • Members
  • 800 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

Support. This would be really useful.

#13 apemanzilla

  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

Added a counter at the top of the thread so we know how many people want this :3

 Sebra, on 01 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

 Sebra, on 06 April 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

It's possible to add recipe like Comp+Disk=Comp_reprogrammed, but really it is an option only.
Please, Dan200, if you add this, do not leave old data in Computer, use new Id.
Reason is security leak.
Why not just wipe the computer before changing the ROM?

#14 Sebra

  • Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:01 AM

 apemanzilla, on 16 May 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Added a counter at the top of the thread so we know how many people want this :3

 Sebra, on 01 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

 Sebra, on 06 April 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

It's possible to add recipe like Comp+Disk=Comp_reprogrammed, but really it is an option only.
Please, Dan200, if you add this, do not leave old data in Computer, use new Id.
Reason is security leak.
Why not just wipe the computer before changing the ROM?
1. Some security could check unique id. New Comp is reprogrammed, so not trusted.
2. Files form old Comp should not be deleted from world save. They should be recoverable after accidents.
3. If old Comp was reprogrammed before, old ROM files are also stored in world save and recoverable.

Btw counters (and even polls) are only to warm your heart. :)

#15 apemanzilla

  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

 Sebra, on 17 May 2014 - 06:01 AM, said:

 apemanzilla, on 16 May 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Added a counter at the top of the thread so we know how many people want this :3

 Sebra, on 01 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

 Sebra, on 06 April 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

It's possible to add recipe like Comp+Disk=Comp_reprogrammed, but really it is an option only.
Please, Dan200, if you add this, do not leave old data in Computer, use new Id.
Reason is security leak.
Why not just wipe the computer before changing the ROM?
1. Some security could check unique id. New Comp is reprogrammed, so not trusted.
2. Files form old Comp should not be deleted from world save. They should be recoverable after accidents.
3. If old Comp was reprogrammed before, old ROM files are also stored in world save and recoverable.

Btw counters (and even polls) are only to warm your heart. :)

1. Huh? Anyone can spoof computer IDs with ease anyways, you should always try to use a better form of security if there's any thing valuable you're protecting.
2. All files on the computer would be replaced with ones on the disk anyways.
3. See above.

Edited by apemanzilla, 19 May 2014 - 03:54 PM.


#16 GreenByteSoftware

  • Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationKaunas, Lithuania

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:37 AM

Completely agreed with that! Creating OSes on top of OS is terrible!

#17 Konlab

  • Members
  • 595 posts
  • LocationKerbin

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

Really good idea!

#18 skwerlman

  • Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

+1 Fully support

Being able to replace a computer's BIOS would be extremely useful.

Plus, you could add fs encryption to the BIOS, so you never need to implement it again.

Question: Will the custom BIOS use up space on the computer's drive, or will it be limited to a specific size (as in real life)?

Also, will it be possible to give the BIOS (and only the BIOS) write privileges to edit itself (like a BIOS flasher)?

Edited by skwerlman, 26 May 2014 - 10:08 AM.


#19 cptdeath58

  • Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationError 404: Could not find.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

If you could edit a computer's ROM in ComputerCraft, You could also increase security in many ways, but you could also allow even more security leaks.
That being said, You could reroute a disk drives boot to use the computer's boot instead to help increase security on doors because the disk doesnt come
first then, so they would be putting a useless disk in trying to hack into it, but if the person does gets his hands on the computer, he can destroy it completely
making it unusable.
However again, you can get a password system onto your computer before accessing it to prevent this so...
1+ Support here

#20 KingofGamesYami

  • Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:59 AM

+1 support, amazing idea. Especially the preventing of disk-booting.

Would this also override control+s and control+r ?





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users